Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
other than having credit cards- next would be parking in a handicap spot- that cost me $250
You know, my sister pulled that stunt... MORE THAN ONCE TOO !!! When she was younger... Dad always had to pay the tickets for here. (daddy's little girl and all)

That has to be the single most stupidest financial costing stunt there is. I vote that you and my sister win the booby prize . Wait a minute... I stand corrected, my dad wins it for pay my sisters MANY tickets for this ! I'm confident and willing to bet that you never pulled that stunt ever again unlike my sister... who has no brains !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 02:02 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
This is a great thread! I am feeling better. Everybody thank you so much for sharing your stories. Thank god I am not alone. I have friends!

Woofers

Old 11-15-2008, 02:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I feel really dumb for a few bad decisions I've made in the past that have cost me money. Now I count every penny I spend, and I kick myself for every dumb decision I make. Even yesterday, I spend $7 on a pair of socks at Marshalls that are cotton and fall down to my ankles. I think, "Oh, what a dummy, that was $7 out the window!" Of course, I've made even stupider bad decisions that have cost me a LOT more than $7. When I was young, I threw away money because I did not understand it.

I try so hard these days to be good with money, but I can't keep from thinking of myself as a "dummy."

Help me to stop beating myself up for my past financial mistakes. Have other people made bad decisions? How do you cope?

Thank you,

Woofers
Not getting a house inspected before buying it. Big mistake!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Well hell yeah I've made some dumb financial decisions. Getting married and having kids would be number one. Every bad decision following has been related to it. LMAO
Getting married is a good financial move if both of you are working. Both of you are bringing income into a single household. Having kids is a bad financial move. They cost money- lots and lots of money.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:59 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
I spent $5 dollars on New York state lottery tickets. A dollar and wish my hairy ass. My ass is really not hairy. It was just a colorful metaphor.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
well i said to her look make a choice
its me or visa

Old 11-15-2008, 10:59 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I feel really dumb for a few bad decisions I've made in the past that have cost me money. Now I count every penny I spend, and I kick myself for every dumb decision I make. Even yesterday, I spend $7 on a pair of socks at Marshalls that are cotton and fall down to my ankles. I think, "Oh, what a dummy, that was $7 out the window!" Of course, I've made even stupider bad decisions that have cost me a LOT more than $7. When I was young, I threw away money because I did not understand it.

I try so hard these days to be good with money, but I can't keep from thinking of myself as a "dummy."

Help me to stop beating myself up for my past financial mistakes. Have other people made bad decisions? How do you cope?

Thank you,

Woofers
Had one today...

That water pump that's on its way out on my fiance's car - I started work on it today. Long story short, there's no way I can get the job done. After I had to grind out one bolt to gain access to the area two bolts on the belt tensioner wouldn't budge... They just started to round off. I stopped before they got too out of control and became a real problem (drilling their remains out of the engine block in a really tight area). The car is off to the dealership so they can deal with it. It's worth eating the cost of parts I bought + paying someone else to do it because it'd take me ages to do the job though.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:39 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,586 times
Default I Win the Financial Idiot contest.

Taking the advice of people around me (parents, ex husband) and being too passive cost me a lot. My ex husband took advantage of me financially and my parents encouraged taking loans for cars and having a mortgage. We had a huge house, two car loans, keep up with Joneses situation I guess you could call it. I have a good profession and worked for a group of slave drivers making about 90K and ex hubby worked part-time by choice and played (golf/ poker 4 nights a week and who knows what else) whatta *******. We have 2 boys and still had a babysitter so he could fit in his entertainment. That is why he is my EX. Well, to make a long, painful story short. I divorced my ex and ended up in financial ruin. Having to declare bankruptcy. As terrible as it sounds I have learned from all of this. And Im aware that I had a fault in it all as well for being so oblivious to what was going around me for so long, not standing up to people and being in denial about a lot of things. I was a HUGE idiot. Now I am remarried. We rent a modest home 1500 sq ft. I have a job where I work with a great group of people but for 20k less. But it was so worth the pay cut. The only credit card I use is a department store one (Kohls) for the discounts but I use it to buy the merchandise to get the discount and then pay it off immediately at the cash register so I never pay interest. We only buy used cars. I will never have a car loan again. I will never buy a new car again either, it is such a rip off. I will never have a mortgage again. I will only rent unless we save enough to pay cash outright for a house. **** the banks with the fees for a mortgage-closing costs and all that other bull****. I will never use a credit card again where I pay one cent of interest, I will never carry a balance. I have a Visa Debit card and it works just like a credit card except the money comes directly out of your checking acct. Also I am very careful with spending and only buy that which is needed and only occasional reasonable splurge. When you only use cash it's is much easier to watch your spending too. My life is so much better this way than the way it was before.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:58 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Getting married is a good financial move if both of you are working. Both of you are bringing income into a single household. Having kids is a bad financial move. They cost money- lots and lots of money.
The ideal situation is you marry someone who makes exactly the same money as you so you could go dutch on the bills and savings.

In most cases it's very unbalanced....and in most cases it's weighted toward the male half (most cases...certainly not all). And women just looooovvvveeee to shop. "Married filing jointly" on the income taxes doesn't typically make up for the many trips to the mall and the additional furniture required. When I was single all I needed was a bed, desk, chair, and TV stand. Post-wedding I had to get furniture....and lots of it.

Finacially I would have been soo much better off staying single with minimal furniture.

And as you say when kids come along they cost big $$$. Never in my life would I have thought that daycare would cost what it does. And if enough kids come along it starts to make more sense for the wife to stay home and take care of the kids because daycare starts to approach her salary. So then it gets to the point that the husband becomes the sole provider and you have to cut back on all the extras to account for the fact that the income has been substantially reduced.

Finacially it has been a disaster. But I'm happy being a family man.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:25 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
The dumbest financial move I ever made...............

Leaving a perfectly good-paying job with great benefits and an awesome retirement to give my hubby a chance to shine in his career. Two years later and I am still trying to salvage it while his job is going just peachy. Now, I'll have to work a lot longer before I can retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance