Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's funny people sink so much into material goods and end up broke and unhappy. I have found it's the experiences in life that I remember and enjoy most. It can be the simple things like sitting on the porch drinking iced tea or going for a walk in the woods or hanging out with family.

I think the "stuff" can give you a momentary high, but really it is there to add to your life not become your life. What's that saying "you don't own your things, they own you" and it's clear for the OP he's owned by all this stuff he has, everything from an over mortgaged house to 4 cars to tons of junk from the dollar stores and target.
Like Calipoppy, I absolutely agree with you.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I've been playing lots of Wii lately....
And nothing wrong with that. Do what you enjoy.

I just think it comes down to understanding material goods can add to your life or assist it or make it better, but once it reaches the point you are purchasing them with someone elses money(credit) and you have so many goods that they own you it becomes a problem.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:08 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Agreed, kelsie. Nicely done. We are very much alike, NYS. Thugh the savings isn't increasing too much right now due to paying cash for the kid's college. The upside, she will graduate with no debt!
That's nice of you!!! Your daughter will be so grateful for it!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:37 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
That's nice of you!!! Your daughter will be so grateful for it!
Aww, thanks. She is. She's working hard (2 jobs) to cover the gas $$ as it's a 45 minute commute. She also pays for all her incidentals which includes all the normal fun stuff and fees for 2 different color guards.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:42 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,347 times
That's nice!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:40 PM

60 posts, read 138,511 times
I have so much stuff around here it isn't even funny. What I realized about a year ago is that the more stuff you have, the more things break. I hate having broken stuff around so if it is good stuff, I get it fixed which equals more money spent.

I love the feeling when I can just sit here and clean off my desk. When I get rid of all the clutter on the desk and make it look nice. I wish I could go out to my garage and just blow everything out. And what really sucks is that I have a few hobbies and I start feeling guilty when I can't get to do those hobbies. R/C airplanes hanging in the garage for 2 years that I haven't touched but think about them every weekend. Guitars, keyboards music recording gear that I just don't have the time to mess around with right now. Just a big guilt trip.

On another note..

Well, I did try to talk my daughter out of the Iphone she just purchased but no go. I sat down and explained the 85+ dollars per month plus the cost of the phone. What I did do though is take my name off the contract of my son's iphone(that he pays himself) and put it in my daughter's name. Now my son can pay her and she can pay the bill. This will free up minutes that my wife and I share.

I spoke to my attorney and they want me to send in my 2008 tax return (That I just finished with last Thursday), updated paystubs and expense information.

I pulled a credit report and I'm down to 583 from a 775 before all this started. I did see on the credit report that one of my Citibank cards for a little over 6,000 had been charged off. I guess that's good? The other Citibank cards that I have weren't on the report. I know that those were sent to a collection agency but you would think they would be still on the credit report?

I'm out of money again right now and I don't get paid until the 15th. I'm not completely out because I still have those 2 months of mortgage payments saved up... but technically I am out.

I feel like an ulcer is coming on. I can't stop the tension in my stomach. I'm keyed up all the time.. waiting for the answer to what my 1st mortage is going to do on the modification. Found free meditation classes through some temple close by. Might have to do that to put myself in some other place but this is definately not the right place to be. You guys have given me great support and I really appreaciate it.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Sounds like your making progress, hang in there.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czubmeister View Post
I have so much stuff around here it isn't even funny. <snip> And what really sucks is that I have a few hobbies and I start feeling guilty when I can't get to do those hobbies. R/C airplanes hanging in the garage for 2 years that I haven't touched but think about them every weekend. Guitars, keyboards music recording gear that I just don't have the time to mess around with right now. Just a big guilt trip.
Czub, you need to sell all that stuff. Not only do you need the money, you don't need the guilt trip. Unburden yourself, and use that money to pay your bills. You say below that you're already out of money until the 15th, so sell this expensive junk and GET THAT MONEY. It's stuff like this that makes me think you still don't get it. You need money. You have "stuff" lying around. Sell the stuff.

Quote:
What I did do though is take my name off the contract of my son's iphone(that he pays himself) and put it in my daughter's name. Now my son can pay her and she can pay the bill. This will free up minutes that my wife and I share.
This works!

Quote:
I feel like an ulcer is coming on. I can't stop the tension in my stomach. I'm keyed up all the time.. waiting for the answer to what my 1st mortage is going to do on the modification. Found free meditation classes through some temple close by. Might have to do that to put myself in some other place but this is definately not the right place to be. You guys have given me great support and I really appreaciate it.
Hang in there. You're going through a dramatic change, which includes your lifestyle and even your values. You'll come out of all this a better person in the end. Hang on to that thought.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czubmeister View Post
I have so much stuff around here it isn't even funny. What I realized about a year ago is that the more stuff you have, the more things break. I hate having broken stuff around so if it is good stuff, I get it fixed which equals more money spent.

I love the feeling when I can just sit here and clean off my desk. When I get rid of all the clutter on the desk and make it look nice. I wish I could go out to my garage and just blow everything out. And what really sucks is that I have a few hobbies and I start feeling guilty when I can't get to do those hobbies. R/C airplanes hanging in the garage for 2 years that I haven't touched but think about them every weekend. Guitars, keyboards music recording gear that I just don't have the time to mess around with right now. Just a big guilt trip.

Sell the stuff. I've been on ebay since 1998 and excess stuff I don't need I sell. If you haven't used it for a year, you are probably not going to use it again. You will not believe the incredible sense of freedom you'll have when you get rid of all that stuff and pocket some cash. Set it free for the next person to enjoy.

I remember I first learned that lesson with a car. I was emotionally tied to a Ford Mustang, or so I believe, because I had it through high school, college and after college. However the last year I owned it in 2001, it was a maintenance nightmare. Finally I sold it and I remember when the buyer laid out 23 $100 on the hood and signed the bill of sale. It was the greatest relief one could have setting that car free. It was almost like closing a chapter of my life and starting a new one.

I'd remember now is about survival and you need cash to pay off debts. I can guarantee if you start ebaying stuff off every week, you'll have a huge sense of relief without all this clutter in your life that you have to store and maintain.

Stuff that is just pure junk and not worth anything I'd start going room to room cleaning it out. Things that don't have a lot of value but that might be useful drop off at Goodwill.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:11 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Sell the stuff. I've been on ebay since 1998 and excess stuff I don't need I sell. If you haven't used it for a year, you are probably not going to use it again. You will not believe the incredible sense of freedom you'll have when you get rid of all that stuff and pocket some cash. Set it free for the next person to enjoy.

I remember I first learned that lesson with a car. I was emotionally tied to a Ford Mustang, or so I believe, because I had it through high school, college and after college. However the last year I owned it in 2001, it was a maintenance nightmare. Finally I sold it and I remember when the buyer laid out 23 $100 on the hood and signed the bill of sale. It was the greatest relief one could have setting that car free. It was almost like closing a chapter of my life and starting a new one.

I'd remember now is about survival and you need cash to pay off debts. I can guarantee if you start ebaying stuff off every week, you'll have a huge sense of relief without all this clutter in your life that you have to store and maintain.

Stuff that is just pure junk and not worth anything I'd start going room to room cleaning it out. Things that don't have a lot of value but that might be useful drop off at Goodwill.
Ebay is a great service , can even be a hobby , and more so , a second income. It does take time , and the learning curve can be disappointing at times. Somethings that just don't sell ,...wait a year , then list again , you never know. I sold several thousands worth this last week , stuff that did not sell last summer. After 7 years of selling my collected stuff , I can say it was very profitable. I even sold my last house on Ebay , so , IT DOES WORK !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance