U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 16,290 times
i just had a levy placed on my banking account. i was 1 month behide and tried paying 200.00 to get it caught up and the lady would not take it. how do i get them to lift it off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 08:20 PM

8,230 posts, read 10,886,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarusch View Post
i just had a levy placed on my banking account. i was 1 month behide and tried paying 200.00 to get it caught up and the lady would not take it. how do i get them to lift it off

Open a new account in a different bank preferable in a different state.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 PM

14,307 posts, read 25,605,657 times
you need to talk to the person who laid the levy--the "lady at the bank" is not authorized to deal as the representative of the levy source...
it is just going to get worse
and ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away
you can be served with contempt order in some cases and get summons/fines on top of a levy

Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 16,242 times
I recently had a levy put on my bank account by IRS. apparently the letter of notice was dated on 11/22/2010 and I didn't get it until 11/26/2010. My bank account was froze and all the money from checking and saving accounts were gone, logged as a grayed out "debit" on my online banking statement.

I went to the local IRS office on Monday 11/29/2010, knowing that I have 21 days to appeal, I asked for a repayment plan (with one time $150 charge) of $500 due on every 28th of the month in order to lift the levy immediately. The person at the IRS counter gave me 2 copies of the notice to lift the levy, 1 for the bank and 1 for myself to keep as a record.

I brought the notice to the bank, at around 4pm. The lady told me she will send the notice out the same day but it may take up to 24 hours to process.

The time now is Tuesday 8pm. I checked my accounts online and the money's still not returned, instead it is now "debited" with another $100 fee for the process.

I wasn't sure if the 24 hour she meant was regular hours or work hours, but seeing that my salary direct deposit into the account today without a problem I suppose the levy's been lifted? But then again it seems the IRS has taken all the money from my bank(prior to the paycheck today), am I still able to get the money back? Or am I pretty much screwed at this point??

Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 16,097 times
I just got a notice of levy for a previous business that i closed the account 2 years ago. I opened a new business with a similar name but different tax id and also opened a new checking account at that time. Now bank of america put the levy on my new business account for the old business. Can they do that ?? Same owner and home address but different business name , fein number and account number. And to make matters worse the levy was put in Friday evening and it cleared by monday. The bank is suppose to hold the funds for 21 days before they release it to the people that requested the levy. can someone help me ...

Old 01-18-2011, 09:26 AM

6,040 posts, read 5,483,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madoofam View Post
I just got a notice of levy for a previous business that i closed the account 2 years ago. I opened a new business with a similar name but different tax id and also opened a new checking account at that time. Now bank of america put the levy on my new business account for the old business. Can they do that ?? Same owner and home address but different business name , fein number and account number. And to make matters worse the levy was put in Friday evening and it cleared by monday. The bank is suppose to hold the funds for 21 days before they release it to the people that requested the levy. can someone help me ...
Paying your debts from your previous business would solve the issue.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,110,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madoofam View Post
Fraudulent conveyance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,084,234 times
Jyml,
The bank receives the levy and at that time, on that day, the account is frozen and
they have to send whatever is in the account ON THAT day only.
It's a one shot deal.
THe money is gone.
Stick with your payment plan, every month.
First pay rent, then food, then utilities, and with what you
have left, for the love of God, pay the IRS!
Don't play around when it comes to taxes, either Federal or State people!
Credit cards and bank loans are one thing, but the federal government
means business, they don't mess around.
You ignored those federal taxes for at least 2 years to get a bank levy, so
now you know not to do that.
Little poor and middle class taxpayers must pay for all this mess we are
in, no one else will.
Don't miss an IRS federal tax payment, especially if you have a payment plan.
Ever.
Good Luck to you.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 15,877 times
Chase just allowed pressure and pressure to take all the money out my account I have three kids at home and now I can't pay my rent I don't know what to do now

Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 PM

38,729 posts, read 34,398,394 times
An ounce pf prevention.

I have, for many years, kept my money spread around in 4 or 5 banks, in different states. The most the bastards would ever be able to get from me is less than half what I've got.

In most of them, I have no accounts that would earn any interest, so they are not reported to the IRS (yet, I don't think), which doesn't know I have them, and it would take them a while to find out.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-03-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance