Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times

Advertisements

I love how everyone here is so anxious to help deadbeats escape the money they owe. How about a little sympathy for the people who are getting screwed out of the money>
I'm in the process of going after bank accounts and wages of a couple who have put me through hell for three years. I even traveled out of state to attend court, at which time I agreed to a lesser settlement and agreed to allow them to make payments. They signed an agreement to pay the lesser, compromised amount off in one year. They made three payments and went back to their old ways.
I'm done being Mr. nice guy, I'm going after everything they have, and I hope they starve to death. There is no hope for dead beats... If they would pay their bills, they wouldn't be in this situation. Stop trying to help them, help the debt holder...!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM

23,548 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcat35 View Post
My mom helped me open the one and only bank account I have when I was 12yrs old. I never thought there was a need to remove her from my account since she has never stolen from me, nor did I even think anything about her name being on the account. The bank placed a levy at the bank on all accounts with her name on them. My account was one of them. I finally got a letter today, but it's been 3 weeks since they placed the money that was in there at the time on a hold. I have until the 20th or 25th (not precisely sure based on this letter) to fight the levy. I'm not sure which code I would use though. Would it go under personal effects or under cash? I called the Lawyer today but got no response. Since time is of the essence and we live in 2 separate counties, I'd like to try to get the letter back to them ASAP. Any suggestions?
Since they put a hold/levy on your bank account (money/cash) and not personal items (car, etc.) then it would be under cash.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I love how everyone here is so anxious to help deadbeats escape the money they owe. How about a little sympathy for the people who are getting screwed out of the money>
I'm in the process of going after bank accounts and wages of a couple who have put me through hell for three years. I even traveled out of state to attend court, at which time I agreed to a lesser settlement and agreed to allow them to make payments. They signed an agreement to pay the lesser, compromised amount off in one year. They made three payments and went back to their old ways.
I'm done being Mr. nice guy, I'm going after everything they have, and I hope they starve to death. There is no hope for dead beats... If they would pay their bills, they wouldn't be in this situation. Stop trying to help them, help the debt holder...!!
With all due respect, we'll help whoever we goddamn well please.

I'm sorry you are in the position that you are in but unfortunately that is a risk you and anyone else assumes when loaning money. Sometimes people don't pay it back. You have a host of remedies available to you under our legal system though, just as debtors have protection under the law. If you're expecting us to hold back info that might help the side you feel is immoral, then you have another thing coming.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:24 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Bottom line. The entity that placed the levy is he only one who can remove it. See someone at your bank branch, and see if they can advise you through the bank's legal department. At least then you would know what you're facing and it wouldn't cost you anything. Like, maybe the levy placers are only entitled to half of what's in the account, but I doubt it.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
With all due respect, we'll help whoever we goddamn well please.

I'm sorry you are in the position that you are in but unfortunately that is a risk you and anyone else assumes when loaning money. Sometimes people don't pay it back. You have a host of remedies available to you under our legal system though, just as debtors have protection under the law. If you're expecting us to hold back info that might help the side you feel is immoral, then you have another thing coming.
I assume you to be a democrat, one who hates people who worked and accumulated a few bucks and used it to help an unworthy scofflaw by renting them a home to house their family, which they destroyed and moved out in the middle of the night.
If it makes you feel loved and needed, continue to help those kind of losers...
I understand like people, or deadbeats, think alike and stick together. I didn't mean to interject some morals into your devious life. Please fell free to assist your brethren..

Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I assume you to be a democrat, one who hates people who worked and accumulated a few bucks and used it to help an unworthy scofflaw by renting them a home to house their family, which they destroyed and moved out in the middle of the night.
If it makes you feel loved and needed, continue to help those kind of losers...
I understand like people, or deadbeats, think alike and stick together. I didn't mean to interject some morals into your devious life. Please fell free to assist your brethren..
Your first mistake was trying to bring politics into this discussion. Since you did though, I'll hit that softball. Your baseless and idiotic stereotype about political parties leads me to point out that the Democratic Party nominated a man who was raised by a single mother and her parents, received an Ivy League education thanks to student loans and scholarships, graduated with high honors and worked his way up to becoming the most powerful man in the world. The Republican Party nominated a man born with a silver spoon in his mouth, funded his living expenses in college by selling the stocks he received from his father, mocked those who refused to serve in a war they didnt agree with while hiding by his religion to avoid his own service, made his personal fortune by crushing the lives of the American middle class and then literally tried to buy his way into the Oval Office. So yes, by all means, lets talk about hard work and the respective political parties.

And for the record, I am actually a registered independent, though I proudly cast my vote for Obama last year and enjoyed watching him pimp slap Romney all over the electoral map.

Moving beyond that, have you noticed that the two states that have the strongest debtor protection laws (Texas and Florida) are solidly republican and republican leaning swing state, respectively? Also, some of the worst debtor protection laws exist in the largely liberal northeast? Kinda torpedoes your whole theory, doesn't it? Also, you know nothing of me and my financial situation, so your attempts at personal attacks will work about as well as Romney's infamous 47% comments.

Lastly, I'd point out you haven't injected any morals here. In fact, you've done the opposite. You've feigned offense at posters who have offered advice to another poster about protecting their assets within the bounds of the law. That's what we do here, and I'm sure that if you had made a post about your situation you would have received comparable help.

Clearly, you are very bitter about your situation. In that case, I'll leave you this quote from Oliver Wendell Holmes, your fellow republican.

"This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice."

Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Your first mistake was trying to bring politics into this discussion. Since you did though, I'll hit that softball. Your baseless and idiotic stereotype about political parties leads me to point out that the Democratic Party nominated a man who was raised by a single mother and her parents, received an Ivy League education thanks to student loans and scholarships, graduated with high honors and worked his way up to becoming the most powerful man in the world. The Republican Party nominated a man born with a silver spoon in his mouth, funded his living expenses in college by selling the stocks he received from his father, mocked those who refused to serve in a war they didnt agree with while hiding by his religion to avoid his own service, made his personal fortune by crushing the lives of the American middle class and then literally tried to buy his way into the Oval Office. So yes, by all means, lets talk about hard work and the respective political parties.

And for the record, I am actually a registered independent, though I proudly cast my vote for Obama last year and enjoyed watching him pimp slap Romney all over the electoral map.

Moving beyond that, have you noticed that the two states that have the strongest debtor protection laws (Texas and Florida) are solidly republican and republican leaning swing state, respectively? Also, some of the worst debtor protection laws exist in the largely liberal northeast? Kinda torpedoes your whole theory, doesn't it? Also, you know nothing of me and my financial situation, so your attempts at personal attacks will work about as well as Romney's infamous 47% comments.

Lastly, I'd point out you haven't injected any morals here. In fact, you've done the opposite. You've feigned offense at posters who have offered advice to another poster about protecting their assets within the bounds of the law. That's what we do here, and I'm sure that if you had made a post about your situation you would have received comparable help.

Clearly, you are very bitter about your situation. In that case, I'll leave you this quote from Oliver Wendell Holmes, your fellow republican.

"This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice."
Without reading all of your leftist garbage, the party elected a communist who is intent on destroying the country and your ignorance is assisting him...
didn't read the rest, not worth my time to deal with the lower class of people

Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Without reading all of your leftist garbage, the party elected a communist who is intent on destroying the country and your ignorance is assisting him...
didn't read the rest, not worth my time to deal with the lower class of people
Actually, I'd bet my bottom dollar you read every single word of my post and just lack the intellectual fortitude to formulate a response. However, in the spirit of playing fair, here's the executive summary.

- Your political stereotypes in regards to the parties and "hard work" do not jive with reality.
- Your assumption of my political party was off base.
- That said, I still voted for Obama, and he kicked Romney's ass.
- The strongest debtor protection laws exist in Republican leaning states, the worst in traditionally strong Democratic states.
- Your attempt at a personal attack was stupid...and weak.
- You wouldn't know "morals" if they got behind the wheel of a MAC truck and ran you over.
- You're pissed because the courts didn't move heaven and earth to right the wrong perpetuated against you.

And, in response to your latest post.

- Only a fool of the highest tea party, Glenn Beck caliber, would accuse Obama of being a "communist intent on destroying the country."

Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 PM

23,548 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
The majority of the posters in here, myself included, are equal opportunity helpers who try to help both sides if we can. If a debtor falls on hard times, or, if a debtor is dealing with an OC or CA who is using illegal tactics then most people will help. If a debtor states that he/she had no intention of ever paying when they got the loan, used the credit card, etc., etc., then good luck to them in trying to find help because it won't be there.
Not many "debt holders" post on here looking for help but in the few instances when one does then they often get opinions on what options they may have.

With your post you explained that you've already taken the necessary actions and that you are going to continue to take further actions. Even though you failed to state what kind of help that you're looking for in your post I would imagine that since you already have the legal wheels moving then your best bet would be to start vetting the future renters by looking at their personal credit reports, rental reports and checking with past landlords.

Unless, you have another agenda (besides opinions) for the "sympathy for being screwed out of your money" comment you made ... in that case .. sorry but I already gave at the office.

And an off topic note, this thread is about personal finance and it isn't about your (out of left field and unasked for) views on politics so please keep your political opinions in the political forum where they belong.

Last edited by berdee; 01-15-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I hate it when you kids fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance