Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 08:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times

Advertisements

Just something to hopefully give you a chuckle. Considering what customer service can be like.

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Citibank. Here is the exchange:

Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you she died in January.'

Citibank: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'Maybe, you should turn it over to collections.'

Citibank: 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.'

Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?'

Citibank: 'Either report her account to frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!'

Family Member: 'Do you think God will be mad at her?' (I really liked this part!!!!)

Citibank: 'Excuse me?'

Family Member: 'Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?'

Citibank: 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor.' (Duh!)

Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member: 'I'm calling to tell you, she died in January.'

Citibank : 'The account was never closed and late fees and charges still apply.' (This must be a phrase taught by the bank!)

Family Member: 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'

Citibank: (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?'

Family Member: 'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info given)

Citibank: 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'

Family Member: 'Sure.' (Fax number is given )

After they get the fax:

Citibank: 'Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what more I can do to help.'

Family Member: 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care.'

Citibank: 'Well, the late fees and charges do still apply.'(What is wrong with these people?!?)

Family Member: 'Would you like her new billing address?'

Citibank: 'That might help.'

Family Member: ' Odessa Memorial Cemetery , Highway 129, Plot Number 69.'

Citibank: 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'

Family Member: 'What do you do with dead people on your planet???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 05:09 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
Thanks for the laugh. Yes it does sound just like those people trying to collect.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:40 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,683 times
I wonder if Citibank can put a lien on a coffin. I am sure they would love to try.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Funny, but B.S

Old 12-30-2008, 06:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Funny, but B.S
That's why it's a joke. But I bet it's not far off. Customer service has gone down the toilet and most people are clueless.

And it is fact that credit card companies have issued cards to dead people and babies.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I took care of the affairs of an elderly uncle of mine. When he passed away I paid what debts I could with his account, but there were a couple of outstanding bills, including a pharmacy bill for about $400. It was turned over to a collection agency and they called me a couple of times and I told them he was dead. They then sent a demand letter and I scrawled across the top, "Bill is dead. There is $5.14 in his account. Do you want it?"

I never heard from them again.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
My dad dies almost 8.5 years ago. I was the executor of his estate, spent damn near a year getting that mess straightened out, closed his bank accounts, etc. etc. etc.. This included a number of credit cards he had, with some rather substantial credit limits.

In the past 12 months I have received new credit cards with in his name from two major banks. I suspect that CC companies really can't handle the fact a customer died in their system. I've given up calling and talking to yet another Tier 1 idiot, I just drop them in the shredder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance