Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
CREDIT CARDS ARE A BAD THING...I like to call them the scum of the earth.
A credit card is just a piece of plastic. The BAD THING is the idiot who misuses it. I LOVE my credit cards. Charge everything; rack up the points; get free stuff; pay off bill every month. Nothing evil about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:49 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
A credit card is just a piece of plastic. The BAD THING is the idiot who misuses it. I LOVE my credit cards. Charge everything; rack up the points; get free stuff; pay off bill every month. Nothing evil about that.
Amen!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
I have been using credit cards for years. Have not had any problems with any off them. Infact American Express just dropped my interest rate by .75%. My cc bills come the same time each month, and just looked and the due dates and none have changed in years.

I have six cards, two a piece with each company (one for personal, one for buisness) and I can tell you the approximate date each one shows up in my mailbox. Personal responsibility is the key to life!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Department store credit cards are evil. I've been screwed over by their tactics more than once. I showed 'em by getting rid of their stupid cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
The due date changes each month. I think they have a 28 day cycle or something?

No, wait... that's me. I have a 28 day cycle. I'm not sure about banks.
Banks have been known to get awfully cranky at times! Could it be financial PMS??

Old 01-08-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Department store credit cards are evil.
I fail to see how a department store credit card is evil... it is just an inert piece of plastic!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I got dinged by this. I have a department store credit card, and every month the bill has been due on the 3rd. All of a sudden, this month it was due a week earlier! I'm sure they sent a notice with the bill (or even separately from the bill), but I never saw it. I tend to let mail pile up; anyone else do this? So this is a free public service announcement to please check the due dates every month, because those late fees can be bad.
Let's not kid ourselves folks. They do this intentionally, and it is for the purpose of catching people unaware. They can then smack you with a $49 late payment fee and run your interest rate higher.

Credit Card companies are evil. Plain and simple. They are evil.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
And for every 1 person who uses their credit cards the way you do, there are 100 (or more) who get nailed by all kinds of credit card company tricks.

They're not gunning for you, because you obviously have enough money to pay off whatever you want. They're gunning for the people who do not pay their entire balance off every month.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
And for every 1 person who uses their credit cards the way you do, there are 100 (or more) who get nailed by all kinds of credit card company tricks.
Somehow I don't believe that.

Do you have a source?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
There was a time when credit cards offered 30 days from the statement date to the due date.

Sadly, over the years, the grace period continues to become shorter.

They also play around with the due dates... always moving them up even with cards that were advertised with the option of choosing your date.

I've drop cards that played this game... I on the go and always pay my bills between the first and tenth... kinda hard to due when the due date changes to the 28th of 30th...

Commercial Accounts generally still offer 2/10 net 30.

I always take advantage of the 2% discount by paying by the tenth... otherwise the full amount is due by the thirtieth.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
The happy ending to this story is that I did call the company, and they refunded the late fee of $29 without any fuss. They sent out a notice in September; apparently, the due date is subject to change by a few days each month now. Good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance