Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 AM

513 posts, read 1,605,169 times

Advertisements

i just got married and need to know how to list my properties for interest writeoffs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,301 times
You say "properties". IIRC the only interest and taxes that are straight deductions are your primary and secondary residences. Any property that is held for investment (rental) is done on a separate form. That form includes your rental income, ALL EXPENSES including interest and depreciation. Any property that is held "short term" (flipping) is classified as short term capital gains and requires that form.

Was that what you were asking?

golfgod

Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 AM

513 posts, read 1,605,169 times
gotcha...here is my situation

1. married in march
2. sold my house in june
3. bought a house together in sept
4. rented her townhouse out dec 13th to cover the mortgage

my question is how do i list all these things and if we should file jointly or separately???

Old 01-05-2009, 02:13 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
OP: go to www.irs.gov
Trust me, there's a form for everything there. Depending upon your adjusted gross income, you may be able to file there for free.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,301 times
OK I'm NOT a cpa, but here's my advice which is coming from 30 years of owning rentals houses:

Before anything else, CONTACT A CPA. Do it now, before their busy season starts.

1. Did you have any "gain" on the sale of your house? The first $500K of NET GAIN is tax free for married, filing jointly taxpayers. I think that holds true even though that house was probably only in your name.

2. Setting up a depreciation schedule on the rental is done on one form. Listing the income and expenses (as I wrote above) is done on another. I used to know the form numbers but I never look at that part of my return.

3. If the rent on her townhouse is "covering the mortgage", SELL IT NOW, or as soon as practicable under the terms of the lease, and to take advantage of any "2 of 5 years" tax advantage on any gain.

TOTAL EXPENSES of a rental house AVERAGE NATIONWIDE about 45%-50% of rent. If the rent is covering the mortgage, you are (or very shortly will be) losing your shirts.

Good luck and congratulations on the marriage.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance