Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:51 AM

931 posts, read 3,803,215 times

Advertisements

Come on people, it's the year 2009!
Start taking advantage of banking opportunities online!

After reading several threads about people asking where to put their money, I realized I kept on giving the same answer.

If you want the highest return for low risk, move your money to an online savings account. The rates can change anytime, but most of the competitive ones have rates that are ABOVE CD rates at your local bank.

E-Trade 3.01% APY
HSBC 2.60% APY
ING Direct 2.50% APY
Emigrant Direct 2.50% APY

*rates are as of January 9, 2009

Never heard of these companies? Do some research and read reviews.

I've been using E-trade for years and have had great service.

Often times, online banks will also offer CD specials that have higher rates than the savings accounts. If you don't want to be locked in, go with the online savings.

If you have any questions, ask them here.

If anyone else has any information, please post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 AM

20 posts, read 71,172 times
dollar savings direct....

4.0%

Fast and easy

Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,805 times
I guess it depends with how you pay for things and how comfortable you are with online banking but to me the best deals are still rewards checking accounts. Yes, there are requirements (minimum number of debit cards transactions, electronic statements, etc) but you generally earn at least 5% on your money.

Reward Checking Accounts (High Yield and Available to All)

Old 01-10-2009, 11:42 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
I'm worried about security on the internet. I trust the internet about as far as I can throw this computer. I don't give out account numbers, pin numbers or anything else.

I just renewed a CD at a bank at a rate comparable to those listed on the internet. I feel safer dealing with my local bank and know the people as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:21 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I'm worried about security on the internet. I trust the internet about as far as I can throw this computer. I don't give out account numbers, pin numbers or anything else.

I just renewed a CD at a bank at a rate comparable to those listed on the internet. I feel safer dealing with my local bank and know the people as well.
I value liquidity more than I fear the Internet. With a CD your money is locked in or you pay fees. I like my money to be agile enough to either be there if there is an emergency or an opportunity for better returns comes along.

You give out your account number every time you pay for something with a check or debit card. Whether it is in person or online.

However, if you can find a CD paying 6.31% I would love to know about it.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:22 PM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
My bank's CD rates are better than those you listed.
And if they weren't, they match rates/terms if I bring in documentation.

I'll stay local, thanks!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I value liquidity more than I fear the Internet. With a CD your money is locked in or you pay fees. I like my money to be agile enough to either be there if there is an emergency or an opportunity for better returns comes along.

You give out your account number every time you pay for something with a check or debit card. Whether it is in person or online.

However, if you can find a CD paying 6.31% I would love to know about it.
I seldom use checks or plastic. To remain anonymous, I pay cash as much as possible. Much safer. Also higher yields = higher risks. I was going by the rates listed by the OP. There are some junk bonds out there paying 10% or more, but they are risky.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My bank's CD rates are better than those you listed.
And if they weren't, they match rates/terms if I bring in documentation.

I'll stay local, thanks!
What bank?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiptomylou View Post
dollar savings direct....

4.0%

Fast and easy
So that's like a spinoff of Emigrant Direct?

I wonder how they can offer a higher rate than Emigrant...

That's pretty high right now, I imagine it will drop fairly soon.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I feel safer dealing with my local bank and know the people as well.
I never really liked ANY of the people at my local bank. I'd rather do everything online though, I guess it's just a different generation.

I do all banking, paying bills and a lot of shopping online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance