U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2009, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 967 times
Default credit card debts (moved from Los Angeles forum)

Hi,
Back in 2007 I owed credit card co. for $1700 and did not pay since, I check my credit report it showed charged off, but now attorney for collection agency sued me in glendale, ca court what is my right???
please help

dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,710,061 times
your right is to pay... just because they charged off does not mean they waived all rights... they just took a loss and removed it from their balance sheet... that being said, they still have every right to collect if they want.

the other right you have is to negotiate - they then have the right to negotiate in turn or to just go after what is rightfully owed them.

Never hurts to offer a settlement (especially since is has been charged off)... might get lucky and they would accept - but that still does not mean they have to remove a negative comment from the credit report.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 AM

7,213 posts, read 10,801,510 times
The company charged off your debt and sold it to to some slock outfit who buys junk loans for a business.... and mails out a million suits a day. Tell them to pound sand, it is NOT the company you owe the money to..! Call them as see, you will find out they just bought your paper with a stack of others. If they get a few to pay up, they are money ahead...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 PM

11,746 posts, read 10,617,097 times
Or they can garnish your wage or put a lien on your property... there are other ways for them to collect...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 PM

193 posts, read 459,531 times
It will show up as a debt on your credit report until you pay the collection agency, not from the original credit card (which will always show charge off I believe), but as a debt to the collection agency if I recall correctly. Settling is usually available, though if they've already taken it to court I'm not sure, are they just threatening to sue or have you actually received some document saying you are now being sued? If you settle for less than the original amount you might not be able to open an account with that credit card company again in the future though.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 AM

209 posts, read 351,254 times
You admitted to the debt, so negotiate with the firm and pay it off soonest. The downstream hassles, them screwing with with your credit rating and the legal actioon they could take are not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance