Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

Hey,

This randomly popped into my head for some reason, but I was having a conversation with my buddy the other day and he asked me a question and I did not have an answer for him. I am not a tax "professional"...Ha!

Anyway, my buddy had poor credit(real poor) and was not able to obtain a mortgage because of this. Even though he had sold his house and was at the time going to put down more than 50% of the purchase price, he still was unable to obtain a mortgage, (at least one with a reasonable % rate)
So, long story short, his father got the mortgage on the house and added my friend and his wife to the deed as "tenants in common".
My friend wanted to know if he could still write off the interest and property taxes. He pays the mortgage and taxes, all legitimate, through his bank account.
I didn't have an answer for him, so I'm wondering if anyone here would know if he could do this. I told him to ask his accountant, but he said he doesn't have one, and he uses "turbo tax" or one of those online return sites, I don't remember which one.
He's afraid to go to jail ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Pretty much a black & white situation: Publication 936 (2008), Home Mortgage Interest Deduction

'You cannot deduct interest you pay for someone else if you are not legally liable to pay it.'

I am pretty sure that your friend can change some things to make himself the liable party, but he ought to check with an attorney and tax professional to see if the primary lender has to agree to this...

Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
So he would still be able to write off the property taxes though because he is on the deed?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I think that right now his father is the ONLY one legally liable...

Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
re the interest: The IRS does have a provision for "equitable owner". Here's a quote from IRS Reg

Regulation 1.163-1(b) reads, "Interest paid by the taxpayer on a mortgage upon real estate of which he is the legal or equitable owner, even though the taxpayer is not directly liable upon the bond or note secured by such mortgage, may be deducted as interest on his indebtedness.

So if your friend pays the interest and has the canceled checks to prove it, he could claim the deduction and attach a letter of explanation to his return. Equitable owner could be proved by his name on the house and the fact that he lives there. Alternatively, if his father isn't paying the mortgage, he can't claim the deduction even if his son can't. The deduction is lost.

Property tax isn't related to mortgage interest, there are different rules. If he owns the property and is legally required to pay the property taxes (and does pay the taxes), then he can take that deduction.

But, seriously, he should contact a tax professional.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I had a friend in a similar situation a few years ago. He lived in a home, made the mortgage payments directly to the mortgage company, paid the property taxes, etc., but his name wasn't on the loan. I did his tax return and he did claim the mortgage interest on his schedule A. He had a written letter from the owners stating that he could deduct the interest and that they weren't going to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance