U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM

2,071 posts, read 5,300,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Yes, that's why I said it was no big deal. I do the finances and mostly get them done during the day when my wife is a t work. The mail would come in, I do all the necessary paperwork, and sometimes go to the bank, or keep everything in the office to go another day etc.. It's a simple inconvenience to remember to bring the check out and have her sign it. Not a huge deal, but I've definitely had a few occasions where we forgot and I couldn't cash the check. This is how I started signing it and was able to deposit it. I've been doing it for years now.... until yesterday. lol
Ahh, I have the same situation. I told my wife to sign it before she gives it to me (the check that is)....LOL. I use to forge her name, that's a little better than not having her signature on her own check......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:24 PM

6,090 posts, read 9,281,722 times
It's illegal to speed, it doesn't stop people from doing it.

Just say'in.

If it were me I'd sign the check in her name, no one looks at it anyway. Hell I've bought stuff with my wife's CC before by mistake, cashiers don't even ask to see the card, and don't even notice it's a male with a female name on the CC.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:57 PM

618 posts, read 2,102,268 times
Oh, I don't sign 'her' name, I sign my name. I thought it was OK because it was a joint account. They accepted that for a couple of years, so I thought nothing of it. Who knows, maybe they thought they were reading 'her' name on the back. lol

If we were having marital problems... and one of us was a crook, we have many accounts together that I have authorization over. They are accounts in her name that I can view/change/etc... So, that would be one of many that may have an issue.

The point I was asking about was for "an authorization form" that she could fill out and sign and present to the bank, authorizing me to sign checks for her. This is what i asked the teller. She had no idea of what I was talking about. She threw out the forgery word too.

If there were an authorization form, and I signed a check that was somehow illegal or whatever, then she would be liable for it because she signed the consent form. Right?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:03 PM

9,927 posts, read 11,163,259 times
IF you are just depositing the check, and not taking cash, you can present the check unsigned and the deposit will go through.

Her name HAS to be on the account you are depositing into.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:31 PM

7,884 posts, read 19,810,957 times
If endorsed "for deposit only" and then deposited into a joint checking account where your wife is a signer on the account, the bank should accept the deposit.

Following that, you could then write a check against the funds on deposit.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 PM

14,874 posts, read 21,731,196 times
Worked in banking for over 10 years. You CAN sign on the back of the check "for deposit only" along w/ the account number and deposit it into a JOINT account or an account w/ just her name on it and it IS OKAY and legal. As long as you are DEPOSITING the funds and NOT cashing it or getting funds back. Unless there is more than 1 check in the deposit and some are made out to you that equal the amount in cash back.

You can always order a rubber stamp with both your name and her name on it w/ the banks name and bank account number and stamp the back of ALL checks as long as they are being DEPOSITED and NO CASH BACK.

As for your wife signing the check and then just handing it over to you........... if the check is going to be sitting around for any time ANYONE can get ahold of it and cash it. This is just as good as a blank check w/ the signature on it. Sure most banks are to check the validity of such but someone could have a friend cash it for them. Getting the rubber stamp is probably the best route to go. Of course I'd talk to your bank officer to make sure they know what is going on and they can instruct their tellers of PROPER bank regulations that a "for deposit only" endorsement IS allowed and LEGAL on all checks to be deposited. UNLESS it is a "bank draft" and THEN it would REQUIRE every single person signature that it is made out to. Most likely her payroll check is not such. These are usually going to be insurance checks for claims.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,203,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
I've been signing the back of her paychecks and depositing them into our joint checking account for many years. Yesterday I was told that she needed to sign the check or they couldn't deposit it into the account.

I asked if there was some kind of consent form we could fill out to allow me to deposit the checks, but that wasn't possible. We've done consent forms before with CC or brokerage accounts, but apparently not possible with checking accounts.

Anyone have any input on this? Is it just my bank doing this, or is this the norm? Valley National Bank, btw.

It's not a really big deal, but If I could do it, I will.
So sign her name and put it in the ATM. Problem solved.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,068,087 times
The problem is that he wants to cash the checks, not deposit them. At least that's what the thread title implies.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:23 PM

2,071 posts, read 5,300,439 times
If you want to sign her name legally, I think you would have have "power of attorney" for that.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:56 PM

618 posts, read 2,102,268 times
Wow, so many points I want to quote. Thanks for the replies! Seems like I CAN deposit the check without her signature.

Yes, "deposit". I'm sorry I used "Cash" in the title. I did explain it further in the posts. I'm just depositing the check every two weeks when it is mailed to our house. My wife is at work, I go to the bank, make the deposit, and that's it. I never wanted to sign 'her' name. I just wanted authorization to deposit checks.

Let's see if I got this right. "For deposit only" on the back of the check AND my signature AND the checking account number? Is that it? Is that the law or something, or is it what "most banks do"?

I wonder why the teller had no answers for me when I asked "Is there ANYTHING my wife and I can do, sign, fill out, that will allow me to do this?". She could have said "for deposit only..." Oh well... Thanks for all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance