Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,131 times

Advertisements

Hi Forum Members,

I am a student of University of Michigan. In 2008 I had a very small income from my one semester stay at Univ of Michigan. In the summer and second semester of 2008, I had income from South Carolina from 6 month internship. My parents are residents of Massachusetts and I have a MA car license. However, in 2008, I stayed for less than 3 months in Massachusetts and had NO income in Massachusetts, so no MA W-2, and no MA tax deduction. All the rest of 2008 I was in SC and MI, and I W-2s from SC and MI.

Question is - For MA tax purposes, for 2008, am I a part time resident, Non-Resident of full time resident, even though I had no income in MA and my stay for least in MA ? Both MI and MA seem to want to tax all my SC income on which I am already paying SC state tax.

Forum members, Many thanks for whatever help/comments!

SC Income
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
You are a resident of MA (where your driver's license is), and a part year resident of MI and SC. You will have to file a return for each. In your MA return, there should be a line item where you get a credit for taxes paid in each of those states. MA should not collect taxes on income you never earned in MA. Your MI return should have the same line item for the SC income. You should never have to pay double in either state. There are specific forms within the states you have to fill to be able to get the credit from that state. If you are doing your own taxes, look for those forms. If you're not sure where to look for them within your tax software, go to the individual state's Department of Revenue and search the form using "income earned in other states".

Old 03-02-2009, 12:01 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,860 times
You made money in MI?

Haha... kidding

Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,446 times
I think it all depends on whether you terminated your Mass residency in 2008 or not. If you were a resident in 2007 and then left after 3 months in 2008, then you are considered a part-year resident in 2008. However, if you've spent 3 months in the middle of 2008 on vacation after already establishing yourself in another state in 2007, then you are a non-resident. Either case, you cannot be double taxed and would have to be credited taxes you've paid in SC. Good luck.

Mass Residency rules:
Residency Status
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance