Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:20 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Some stores have electronic check processors that complete the check and debit your account immediately after you sign the check and turn it over. The one advantage of a check is you don't need to use a PIN. You still have to sign with a debit card.

The other advantage is that banks are starting to tack on fees for check cards.
The places we shop you don't even have to sign the check...just hand it to them blank and they run it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 02:54 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
DH reminded me this afternoon that some years ago we had a box of checks stolen right out of our mailbox. They went to town on them. I had forgotten about that. I understand that people still use checks. I just wanted to know WHY. I didn't frame this as a generational question, but I see that it has become one. I've read that people use checks because debit cards can be 'stolen' and credit cards can pile up balances. But if you use them appropriately, they are safer and more economical, I think. Debit cards don't have personal information on them- like where you live, your phone number and even your drivers license number. Most banks (my credit union, at least) have a maximum amount of liability in case it's stolen. Credit cards can be tied to frequent flier accounts or cash back schemes (like Discover). Waiting in line behind a check writer can be annoying, but it's not an over the edge kind of annoyance. It's more of a 'WHY??' kind of annoyance.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I suppose it could be worse, like when something rings up $10.73 and someone spends ten minutes digging one quarter, two dimes, four nickels, and eight pennies out of their pocket.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 03-01-2009 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
When I do the grocery shopping I like to use the checks because I won't forget to make the entry. I forget to do this when using the check card and sometimes the wind blows away the receipt. However, I don't wait until all my items are rung up before filling out the check. When I reach the register I already have the date, store name, and my name filled out both on the check and in the register. Once the items are rung up all I have to write is the dollar amount. If you do it this way then it goes just about as fast as using a debit or credit card.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I remember at one store the network connection went down. The manager took out the old credit card machine with the slips of paper to go with it. Those of us old enough remember how easy those things were to use. You should have seen the look on the cashier's faces when they saw those things. One refused to use it because of her finger nails. When she pointed this out to the manager he told her to either clip off her 6 inch long nails or she was fired for not following employee standards. She walked off the job on the spot. Customers cheered her leaving. Imagine today's cashiers using old manual (non-electric) cash registers and having to figure out the change in their head. Scary thought. Some can't even count out the change even with the register doing the math for them. I sometimes miss those price stickers. If you knew what you were doing you could get a $0.79 label stuck onto a $2 item and if caught at the register then blame it on the stockboy.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
I don't care how anyone pays at the grocery store. What annoys the hell out of me is those that when told the total are completely surprised that that have to pay for the items, and then start digging for their money, check, plastic. Especially the women that carry a handbag big enough to carry enough cloths for a family vacation, or men that start patting themselves down looking for their wallet, like they don't know which pocket they carry it in.

PS You do not have to balance your check book on the spot, they give you a receipt as part of the transaction. Balance it at home when you aren't holding up a line

Old 03-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
DH reminded me this afternoon that some years ago we had a box of checks stolen right out of our mailbox. They went to town on them. I had forgotten about that. I understand that people still use checks. I just wanted to know WHY. I didn't frame this as a generational question, but I see that it has become one. I've read that people use checks because debit cards can be 'stolen' and credit cards can pile up balances. But if you use them appropriately, they are safer and more economical, I think. Debit cards don't have personal information on them- like where you live, your phone number and even your drivers license number. Most banks (my credit union, at least) have a maximum amount of liability in case it's stolen. Credit cards can be tied to frequent flier accounts or cash back schemes (like Discover). Waiting in line behind a check writer can be annoying, but it's not an over the edge kind of annoyance. It's more of a 'WHY??' kind of annoyance.
Have you ever noticed that little strip on the back of your card? You'd be surprised what information is filed in it. The PIN number is even there and you can get a card reader from radio shack, if you can't get one there any longer you can find them on the internet.

And that is what is being read when you swipe your card, that little strip on the back.

Last edited by Houston3; 03-01-2009 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
When I do the grocery shopping I like to use the checks because I won't forget to make the entry. I forget to do this when using the check card and sometimes the wind blows away the receipt. However, I don't wait until all my items are rung up before filling out the check. When I reach the register I already have the date, store name, and my name filled out both on the check and in the register. Once the items are rung up all I have to write is the dollar amount. If you do it this way then it goes just about as fast as using a debit or credit card.
I try to have the check filled out head of time too except for the amount and sig.. I put the receipt in the check book and enter it when I get home.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:06 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I try to have the check filled out head of time too except for the amount and sig.. I put the receipt in the check book and enter it when I get home.

I use the carbon checks, best thing since sliced bread from the grocery.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I use the carbon checks, best thing since sliced bread from the grocery.
I'm to cheap to buy them...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance