U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Well?
Not at all any more, or rarely 68 33.17%
Occasionally (eg monthly bills) 99 48.29%
Frequently 28 13.66%
other (explain) 10 4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:17 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,809,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would write a check anymore. Your banking routing and account numbers are just a little too out in the open. Plus if I use my banks rewards card I can mop up a few extra pennies.
If you read the thread, I'm "not sure" how you could be not sure

There are still utilities and smaller loan holders that utilize third party online payment processing - which means a fee to pay online. There may be a free auto debit option, but there are reasons not to use that.

Plenty of camps, schools, churches need registration fees for activities and only take cash or check - and I certainly hope no one is mailing cash.

If you have a smaller contractor (not set up for CCs) do work on your house, and want even a sliver of protection/ability to do a stop payment, a check will work. Same with a mechanic.

I manage the payment processing department for the electric utility in our metro area. We still process 15,000 - 30,000 checks a day, all of which arrive in 20 - 50 trays of US Mail. A whole lot of people are still writing checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,472,764 times
I read that the U.K is actually phasing out checks, and in a few years they'll be gone.

On that note, Sweden is experiencing a rise in identity fraud as robbery and bank robbery plummet - because they have pretty much gotten rid of cash.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 AM

28,908 posts, read 40,534,262 times
Groceries/Gas/Other purchases: Debit
Government, etc: Check. Believe it or not, lots of government agencies won't take a debit card.
Travel expenses that are reimbursable: Credit.

I hardly ever carry cash.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:35 AM

2,345 posts, read 2,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't understand the logic. It is not in your best interest to make sure that people you are doing business with have there money sooner? You also stated that you don't like it when they turn your check into a debit transaction. You would prefer to just pay them money orders instead. You do know that things move so fast in banking today that they can clear your check at the register now and hand it back to you. Walmart for example can take your check, clear it on the spot, they have their money and you can get your check back. It shows up on your bank statement as a cleared check and not a debit transaction. Many places do this and it is a great way to take care of the transaction. The only way it would be in the consumers interest is if they were looking for the float that used to exist when you used a paper check. You write a check at the supermarket today because you know that your paycheck will be in the bank in the next day or so and the supermarkets payment won't catch up to you for a few days, creating a float. In todays world that hardly if ever happens anymore.

I am not even sure where you are saving any money by using checks anymore.

For me I pay everything I can online. I have set up agreements with as many companies as I can to take money out of my account. I pay as quick as I can because that is is my best interest. Like most people, I watch my money and can track it online, just like those old time check registers that you used to write in to help balance the checking account out.
I do this too. If you know your bills are X amount per month, you just leave that amount in your checking and a little bit more depending on whatever kind of buffer zone you think you might need for random things that come up. Even then if you have to do so you can just draw from your savings if the situation is immediate. Then, all transactions have automatic draw dates which you can verify on your bank statement online (may take a few days to show). All one has to do is just make sure to keep the baseline at the minimum and most of the bills are automatically paid, almost like clockwork. I have been doing this for almost as long as the possibility of automatic online withdrawals has been available, and not once have I had an issue with some company "stealing" from me. I do use checks occasionally for rent or for other no-recurring bills that come up where setting up an automatic withdrawal isn't necessary or prudent. No "lost-in-the-mail checks," no possibility of not paying a bill and having to pay penalties and fees and that kind of thing. You'll know if there is any funny business going on as you can check your bank account online whenever you want.

My father has the philosophy that he won't let any company "take money" from his account. I also know a person who is in banking and still refuses to use debit cards, which just seems very strange. Direct deposit of my paychecks is a wonderment in and of itself. I get paid even if the weather is bad. No having to cash a paper paycheck in 10 feet of snow or I can't have access to the money.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM

4,379 posts, read 2,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
That's fine. That's at least well-reasoned, rather than a cheap trolling from a historical cheap troll. Fact is, I investigated online billpaying as a possible means of paying at the last possible date. My bank advised me that the transaction might take days to process. You can see why I decided it wasn't ready for prime time.

I might not have been very clear. I reject debit cards, and I reject allowing banks to turn my checks into debit transactions. Both bring me no gain. I can respect someone deciding not to fight the battle over the debit transactions, but I do honestly think debit cards are a lousy idea that people will see the fault with if they consider them carefully. I'm glad online billpaying is working out for you. As my checking bank described it for me, it didn't sound too feasible.

But my overall point, which you may consider curmudgeonly or not, I feel holds up well. Too many people just take what is handed to them, without asking 'who benefits?' I asked and answered that question to my own satisfaction. If anyone feels they get a benefit, then I'd expect them to follow that.
At my bank, I have to pay to have checks printed (If I were to use them) and I use to have to pay to mail the check to whoever.
But, if I am paying a bill, when I use their online bill pay
it is done immediately or on the next business day and costs me nothing. If I use my Visa Debit card
as a credit card it costs me nothing. So paying the old fashioned way cost me more than paying by debit card or online, which costs me nothing. Zero. Zilch.

Not to mention the cost of all the extra time involved in paying by check, time is money, and I just don't have or want to spend the time/money doing things in the outdated, old fashioned way. I don't mean that as an insult, but please don't insult me, because I do things differently than you do. And don't make assumptions about mine (or anyone else's) intelligence and credit worthiness, because they do things differently than you.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 AM

6,189 posts, read 10,474,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Not to mention the cost of all the extra time involved in paying by check, time is money, and I just don't have or want to spend the time/money doing things in the outdated, old fashioned way. I don't mean that as an insult, but please don't insult me, because I do things differently than you do. And don't make assumptions about mine (or anyone else's) intelligence and credit worthiness, because they do things differently than you.
You've reacted to what I said about debit cards (which I presented several possible reasons people might be using, rather than assuming any specific one) and twisted it to apply it to online billpaying. Looks like someone basically looked at some mischaracterizations of my viewpoint and accepted them as valid, rather than sticking to what I actually said and addressing that. Got to love that.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,242,709 times
I still use checks for some things. I get a shipment of books every other month that I pay by check. They take CC's but I really don't want them to have it as I'm concerned they could decide to change me to something else they have been pushing and just charge it. I also pay the vehicle registrations and personal property taxes by check because they charge a service fee and I refuse to pay them any more than they already want. I also pay all my doc's co-pays by check, although there isn't many of them, and we have a few clubs we belong to that have membership fees where they only accept checks (no cash as they don't want to handle that).

Everything else is online, either through the bank or by credit card (cable, insurance). I have a couple that does take it out each month, but those are fixed amounts and I know exactly how much they deduct. I am a stickler for precision in my checking account, even a penny or 2 off bothers me. I even used my phone for a few days as our internet modem had been fried by lightening. That was a joy!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM

7,854 posts, read 12,980,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I still use checks for some things. I get a shipment of books every other month that I pay by check. They take CC's but I really don't want them to have it as I'm concerned they could decide to change me to something else they have been pushing and just charge it.
This is a legitimate concern. I spoke to two people over the weekend who had purchased items online with a debit card recently and had the vendor make unauthorized charges. It's something I don't worry about much since my relationship with my bank is such that if I tell them a charge is bogus they reverse the charge while everything is sorted out, but not everyone is in that position.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 PM

3,191 posts, read 2,457,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
This is a legitimate concern. I spoke to two people over the weekend who had purchased items online with a debit card recently and had the vendor make unauthorized charges. It's something I don't worry about much since my relationship with my bank is such that if I tell them a charge is bogus they reverse the charge while everything is sorted out, but not everyone is in that position.
That's WHY I use credit cards.

I'm their customer, not the vendor.

I've never not had a disputed charge go my way.

But I still write plenty of checks as well.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM

26,958 posts, read 41,813,762 times
We went to a nice restaurant today. They had a counter with seating for 8, and maybe 20 booths for 4 each. It is in the middle of a farm community. It has been there for at least 40 years.

They do not accept CCs. They take personal checks, Federal Reserve Notes and cash. But no CCs and no debit cards, no plastic of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance