Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

I have about three months. I am the last person to worry about layoffs, but I do worry about injury/illness. I have a long-term disability policy at work that kicks in after three months.
I have a lot of low-interest fixed rate debt- should be gone in 3-4 years. Mortgage is another story, although low interest. I've decided that I might as well put a minimal amount into my 403b for dollar-cost averaging (I mean like $40/week) and take a tax deduction with charitable contributions instead, while working on debt. I have an old-fashioned pension plan at work that is as solid as it gets. It's why I chose to return to my job after bouncing around for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
just did i got one of the pheumatic chairs and while i was yacking fell out of it
good thing i had that cuchion. but yeah, 3 months has been the rule as i understand it.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:58 PM

153 posts, read 408,154 times
Just a mortgage, insurance for the house and cars along w/ utilities/food. Aside from this no CC bills or car notes. I've got 5 yrs worth of savings stashed away for mortgage only and 2 yrs of cash for unemployment. Still putting aside 75% in savings too until I retire from AD in the next yr. I have a slight advantage as I and my wife will receive a pension from the AF (retire the same time )but I don't count on it seeing how everything is crashing all around us...you never know.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
I had a cushion of about 8 months. Cobra, thanks to the leasing company Gevity HR dropping my firm for being too small for their liking, veterinary surgical expenses and life wiped that sucker out a lot faster than I imagined. I thank God I was not one of those people who went on internet message boards bragging about how I did things right and how those in debt are such horrible and stupid people for being in the position they are in now.

Now I have two mortgage payments, more credit debt than I ever imagined due to robbing Peter to pay Paul and a job I love but being in the mortgage industry does not pay so well right now. Still haven't missed a single payment on any of my accounts in my life but unless things pick up I may be rethinking things. I hate to even consider missing a credit card payment but since all of my cards increased my rates to almost 30% ( and yes I knew that was a possibility but it still doesn't make it right) I am less inclined to beat myself up as I would have in the past.

My wish to all is to just hang in there and do the best you can!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
I have a cash cushion of about 3 months, but I have fully-matured, easily liquidatable US bonds that would cover about a year and a half or so. So far, the job situation for both me & my husband looks secure, but you never know these days.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
I was wondering how many on here are sitting on a cushion of, say 6 to ten months worth of mortgage/rent/living expenses?

I think I'm getting there(I've got five months so far) but what about the rest of folks. do folks really save anymore?
I have no mortgage. I used my investment portfolio [built up during my military career] to buy a farm. I wrote a check for it, so I have no mortgage.

Our taxes are very low, our living expenses are low.

My Federal pension supports me and my family. My Dw's part-time income is being used to complete the construction of our house and to build up our livestock.

I still have my portfolio though, this past year it's growth was not so good as it had been in the past. It only grew by about 6%.

If my pension disappeared, and if she lost her job; we would be okay for a few years.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I have a cushion but I'm really on the fence as to whether it would be safer in bank of matress or clever house hiding spot of choice rather than the bank. I DO worry about that.
There's no need to panic if your bank is FDIC insured. What if there's a fire in your home or you get robbed?

Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have a cushion of about 8 months in my savings account. But if I have to pay cobra rates for health insurance or, worse, try to get it on my own--my cushion goes waaaay down.
The law has recently changed: you would now have to pay 35% instead of 100+%.

Your monthly expenses should consist of everything besides savings, not just mortgage payments. Right now, I have more than 6 months and saving to have an 8-month and beyond for calculated expenses such as medical.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
I was wondering how many on here are sitting on a cushion of, say 6 to ten months worth of mortgage/rent/living expenses?

I think I'm getting there(I've got five months so far) but what about the rest of folks. do folks really save anymore?
Ive got about 6 months right now......Ive been hoarding since I got rid of my spend thrift ex wife who kept me penniless for almost 4 years.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I have 6 to 7 months worth of living expenses but as someone already mentioned, if I had to pay Cobra rates or get health insurance on my own, then it would go down significantly!

You could just go without coverage. I did that for about 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance