U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2010, 12:17 PM

14,177 posts, read 11,832,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Townz Best View Post
yea im 15 an i live in upstate ny(ithaca) my mom always be saying where like upper middle class, but she always be playing herself, an telling me we rich in other ways, an all tht bull... anyway, im pretty sure we are lower middle, if not just lower class, we were like just above the poverty line, until my mom got a new job at a juvenile detention center, she told me she's bout ta get 30-40,000 a yr...... in upstate ny what class am i in? she aint perminent yet tho.... an, in terms of living, we in a apartment complex/row houses.... we got 2 cars, both on dere last leg, a mini van, an a volvo she got for like 6000 dollars.... she said that if we own a car, got health insurance, and own a house then u middle class.....(she technically owns my grandmas house cuz she in the deed, but the house got condemed, idk if any of tht info will help, but i just wanna know, for sure)
^^^^This kind of writing is more prevalent in the lower class.^^^^

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-12-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 PM

170 posts, read 368,981 times
Living in Texas, single, with no dependents, this is how I would define it:

Lower-Struggle to get by and must budget: < $18,000
Working Class Blue Collar- With smart spending habits, should be able to live comfortably > $32,000
Middle- Generally white or gray collar; can afford a few luxuries and still save > $50,000
Upper Middle Class- Can spend freely for the most part and still have respectable savings > $100,000
Upper- Very little concern for a budget > $150,000

Old 12-13-2010, 01:37 PM

29,884 posts, read 18,224,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
How do you define Lower Class? less than 25k a yr or 20k a yr? What is middle class 30k-50k? Upper Middle class? 50k-100k upper class? 100k-250k?

What are the ranges?

Here is How I would define it:

Lower Class: 0-20,000/yr.

Lower Middle Class: 20,000-30,000

Middle Class: 30,000-60,000

Upper Middle Class: 60,000-100,000

Upper Class: 100,000+

Does this sound right? for a single income, I would double this list for married couples.
Depends on Cost of Living, especially due to tax structure. I'd have to be making 250,000 to keep my lifestyle if I were on either coast...maybe more like 300,000.

I think the numbers you show above would be for a VERY inexpensive place to live and would not hold true even for moderate cost of living areas like an Omaha or Indianapolis etc.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM

14,177 posts, read 11,832,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depends on Cost of Living, especially due to tax structure. I'd have to be making 250,000 to keep my lifestyle if I were on either coast...maybe more like 300,000.

I think the numbers you show above would be for a VERY inexpensive place to live and would not hold true even for moderate cost of living areas like an Omaha or Indianapolis etc.
I don't agree with you on this. 20K to 30K for a single person would be a basic lower middle class lifestyle in Omaha or Indianapolis. Indy has some of the cheapest home prices in the country.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:52 PM

511 posts, read 407,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
How do you define Lower Class? less than 25k a yr or 20k a yr? What is middle class 30k-50k? Upper Middle class? 50k-100k upper class? 100k-250k?

What are the ranges?

Here is How I would define it:

Lower Class: 0-20,000/yr.

Lower Middle Class: 20,000-30,000

Middle Class: 30,000-60,000

Upper Middle Class: 60,000-100,000

Upper Class: 100,000+

Does this sound right? for a single income, I would double this list for married couples.
Here's my take based solely on salary (single income -- double it for married couples) not family values, morality, behavior, command of the language, or level of education. Those are the qualities which more accurately defines class in my opinions but to answer the question posed, I'll use salary as the sole criteria. For annual salary ranges in NYC metro area and any US city with a similiar cost of living:
Lower class $0 - $60,000
Middle class $80,000-$160,000
Upper class $200,000 +

The rest of the country:
Lower class $0-30,000
Middle class $ 50,000 - 75,000
Upper class $ $100, 000 +

You'll notice there are gaps between the dollar amounts. This is where I consider shades of gray and would fill in with the adjectives lower middle, upper middle, middle lower, middle upper, and etc.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,853,572 times
I should also add that I know people that make over 300,000 and are not classy people at all. They act like a bunch of kids, they way they dress, talk and the places they eat. It's like if you gave money to a bunch of college kids. So money doesn't always equal classy people just like how I know people that make 60K in a household that act more classy than my rich friends.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 PM

7,479 posts, read 7,880,437 times
The lower-class is largely dependent on government transfers. The underground and informal economy (everything from drug dealing to under-the-table grunt work) also probably makes up a significant chunk of their income. I would say a typical lower-class household earns, government transfers and informal economic activity included, between $12,000 and $20,000 a year.

The middle class (skipping two significant rungs: the working poor and the working class) is usually NOT dependent on government transfers (except for things like public education and the like). Middle class incomes also vary regionally, so that where one salary might be considered merely middle-class may be well into the upper-middle class elsewhere. In Minnesota, a typical middle-class household headed by middle-age parents, with both of them working, makes between $70,000 and $100,000 a year. Note that this does not at all represent the median income, which is much lower - for one thing, the middle class occupies a high rung on the socioeconomic ladder relative to those in the working class and lower class, and only a minority of households consist of middle-aged parents.

The upper class only makes up about one percent of the population. They are more defined by assets and savings than income, in my view.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 AM

33,464 posts, read 28,190,429 times
I had a cost of Living site on my favorites but must have deleted it. IIRC my COl in southern NH is about 1.2 times the average for the US and for central NM it is 0.8.

This is one of the reasons I want to move to New Mexico. The 40% difference plus the savings from not commuting and lower local taxes will just about make up for the lower pension.

I would say that around here:

10 to 50 k is working class income

50 to 150 is professional income

150 to 300 is executive income

Over 300 is fairly well off specially if you don’t have to work for your money.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:47 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,853,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I had a cost of Living site on my favorites but must have deleted it. IIRC my COl in southern NH is about 1.2 times the average for the US and for central NM it is 0.8.

This is one of the reasons I want to move to New Mexico. The 40% difference plus the savings from not commuting and lower local taxes will just about make up for the lower pension.

I would say that around here:

10 to 50 k is working class income

50 to 150 is professional income

150 to 300 is executive income

Over 300 is fairly well off specially if you donít have to work for your money.
But what if you're a UPS truck drive making 70K would you define that as working class or professional income?

Old 05-07-2011, 04:35 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,511,985 times
Social class is not just income level. To me, social class is a nebulous term used to loosely categorize people by wealth, education, type of work, and lifestyle. For example...

Wealth
Lower & middle classes are categorized by income level, whereas upper class is qualfied by total assets (e.g. properties, businesses) and net worth.

Education
Lower class has little college and middle class the most college (e.g. upper middle class often have advanced degrees). Upper class have more variety of degree levels (e.g. upper class can contain self-made CEO's, musicians, sports figures, etc.). Lower class tend to have poorer verbal/written communication and business skills, while middle & upper classes can present themselves as more knowledgeable & educated.

Type of Work
Lower & middle class are categorized by "jobs" while upper class has an "income stream." Lower class tend to do more physical labor at jobs that are of lower prestige. Middle class jobs often require post-H.S./college training and ongoing skill updates. Upper class have more freedom in work choice or may not need to work at all.

Lifestyle
Middle class has less freedom than upper class. Middle class adhere to more societal accepted norms and life paths. They often must work to pay for a more materialistic lifestyle as they try to convey that they are of a higher class. Upper class tend to downplay their wealth and spend it in less-conspicuous ways such as travel, education, or donations to charitable causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance