U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 AM

7,688 posts, read 25,679,222 times

Advertisements

Edit: I'm changing the tack of this question as I just called the IRS and asked if I needed to file an amended return. I am in a domestic partnership, but filed my federal return as Married Filing Jointly. I called the IRS hotline and asked them what I should do. Their response was that they are not concerned with whether I am legally married or not, that if I amended my return to Married Filing Separately to put right the amount I owed they would not accept it, that they could NOT revise a Married return to Single, and to contact a tax advisor.

Now I'm totally confused. It sounds like I just got a free ticket, but I'm sure it can't be that simple.

Last edited by sonarrat; 04-17-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,643,126 times
Since you made it complicated enough that they told you to get the services of a tax adviser... I don't call that a free ticket. I call that in trouble with the IRS!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:31 PM

7,688 posts, read 25,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Since you made it complicated enough that they told you to get the services of a tax adviser... I don't call that a free ticket. I call that in trouble with the IRS!
Well, worst case, they come after me for the money, I file an amended return with a different depreciation schedule and suddenly I won't owe them anything anymore. I'm not worried about the consequences. I'm just wondering why the heck they said I couldn't amend my own return.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,236,571 times
The federal government doesn't recognize RDPs. Your federal filing status can only be single or head of household (if you have a qualifying child). TurboTax explains how to file if your state recognizes RDPs in this article How do I prepare a married state return if I am in a Registered Domestic Partnership (RDP), civil union, or same-sex marriage? - TurboTax® Customer Care & Support

Your tax liability is due on April 15. As for changing the depreciation schedule and all of that; I'd probably just fix the return and be done with it. Because if you say that you called the IRS and they said.....it's not going to matter.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,445,661 times
If you get an answer that does not make much sense from the IRS try to call again. That has also been my strategy.

For example recently, I got a $800 penalty for supposedly not including a document with a business return. I called and the first person did not make much sense, first they told me to pay the fee and then write to ask for it to be removed. That seemed odd, but what did not make sense is the instructions they gave to me to do this. Anyhow, I called back and another person told me that I should have received a letter asking for the missing documents and to simply write to the address on the penalty letter with the missing form and they will remove the penalty. About a month letter I received a letter stating they removed the penalty.

It seems that the knowledge of the people working the phones varies greatly from person to person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance