Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 AM

75 posts, read 115,613 times

Advertisements

it's a scam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
the truth lies in the numbers..you need to compare against the similiar funds outside the 401k...dont tell me about how you were down in a decade with 2 back to back recessions and thats why 401k's are a scam...

im not saying there arent plans with high fees ,high trading costs and sweet heart deals if a company isnt careful but certainly any company with vanguard or fidelity is getting a fair shake and that represents millions of folks.

the show missed alot of points from the opposite view.

my own expierences are people take no interest in even understanding what they are investing in .. they have no interest in learning ,then they blame the 401k plan for the choices they made,..

they will research a car or refrigerator for months, but just put their investment portfilio together blindly watching what co-workers do .

they have no overall plan or goal.throwing endless amounts of money into a stock fund with no rhyme or reason isnt a balanced portfolio

they dont understand their own risk tolerance and bail out and loose money because they copy their buddies actions then they time it wrong going back in and of course all the time we were down they stopped contributing instead of buying...

most folks wouldnt save a dime left to their own devices unless forced by company deductions...

dont blame the vehicle, blame the lack of financial education most of america has or even has no interest in getting. its much easier to blame everything and everyone around them for their own financial suicide.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:45 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I am SO glad I took all my money out of our 401k's after we became self employed. I rolled them into IRAs at Schwab, and invested it myself. Instead of the two or three choices of very risk averse benefits managers, I get to make real money, by being able to choose from what 5000 funds?

My retirement is all nice and moderately aggressively invested. Yay, us!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I am SO glad I took all my money out of our 401k's after we became self employed. I rolled them into IRAs at Schwab, and invested it myself. Instead of the two or three choices of very risk averse benefits managers, I get to make real money, by being able to choose from what 5000 funds?

My retirement is all nice and moderately aggressively invested. Yay, us!
Pretty much did the same.

I had a 401k back when I was a W-2 due to the tax advantages and employer matching.

Once I quit and became a contractor elsewhere I kept it for a while and didn't touch it. However I was starting to get to the point where I wasn't liking what was going on. The funds were buying stocks that I thought were stupid buys and plus I noticed there was a significant skim. I was finally able to rollover after losing 50% of value in 2008 and for 20 months I've had it in a SEP IRA and by investing myself I've regained all I lost plus have a portfolio of stocks I am happy with.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:25 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
It's almost a no-brainer to roll a 401k into an IRA with a company like Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, etc. you'll always have lower fees and a larger array of fund choices. Hell most of 'em have target retirement date funds now that handle the asset allocation for you as you age.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock2814 View Post
it's a scam
No, Madoff's hedge fund was a scam.

A 401k is simply a tax advantaged savings vehicle with stated management fees usually containing a mix of mutual funds that in turn each have a stated expense ratio.

The last 401k I was in the management fees were 1% of assets annually, and the bulk of my holdings were in a S&P500 index fund with an expenses ratio of .18%. The management fees being a percentage of assets did bother me some since someone maxing out their contributions got the exact same services from the company as someone who put in $50/paycheck but paid way more for it, but I accepted that since I anticipate a much lower tax bracket in retirement and I already max a Roth.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Pretty much did the same.

I had a 401k back when I was a W-2 due to the tax advantages and employer matching.

Once I quit and became a contractor elsewhere I kept it for a while and didn't touch it. However I was starting to get to the point where I wasn't liking what was going on. The funds were buying stocks that I thought were stupid buys and plus I noticed there was a significant skim. I was finally able to rollover after losing 50% of value in 2008 and for 20 months I've had it in a SEP IRA and by investing myself I've regained all I lost plus have a portfolio of stocks I am happy with.
So you pulled your $$ out at the lowest point, re-invested it, and think you are smart because you recouped your loss on your own?

It's not that you were smart it's the market that did that. I sold everything out of my 401k and put it in emerging markets when the crash happened and I did the same and that was in a managed 401k fund.

401k's allow you to purchase the same mutual funds you'd be buying in a IRA/Brokerage account (albeit a smaller selection for liability sakes). You'd pay virtually the same expense ratio investing outside of the 401k as you would if you buy it protected in a 401k. In some cases less.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So you pulled your $$ out at the lowest point, re-invested it, and think you are smart because you recouped your loss on your own?

It's not that you were smart it's the market that did that. I sold everything out of my 401k and put it in emerging markets when the crash happened and I did the same and that was in a managed 401k fund.

401k's allow you to purchase the same mutual funds you'd be buying in a IRA/Brokerage account (albeit a smaller selection for liability sakes). You'd pay virtually the same expense ratio investing outside of the 401k as you would if you buy it protected in a 401k. In some cases less.
Previously I had planned on keeping the 401K intact and having my SEP IRA also but what happened was right when the global crisis hit big time in October 2008, my old w-2 company was sold off to a large corporation and I had to get rid of the 401K and roll it over within a certain # of days or it would get disbursed to me in a check of which I would pay taxes and penalties on. My hand was forced whether I wanted to or not. However I wasn't happy with the situation anyways so it worked out fine in the end. I like being able to pick what I want, when I want.

In college I paper traded stocks and I did very well at it. I'm not big on mutual funds personally. I prefer to identify companies that I like and think will do well and buy a chunk of the stock.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
OK but that doesn't refute what I stated. A monkey could've made money had they invested in pretty much anything after the crash until now. It's done nothing but go up.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:36 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
as they say never confuse genius with a bull market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance