U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 AM

206 posts, read 243,805 times
Default Tax return question re: Injured Spouse relief

For the past 3-4 years the Feds have been taking my Federal tax returns as payment for my wife's college loan which she acquired years before we married.

She has not been working the last 4 years and I am wondering if I am eligible to reclaim all that money?

I really don't mind since we'll pay those debts anyways but it's already been repaid and now it's just going towards the interest so I'd like it to stop.

Is there a time limit to filing the injured spouse relief? Also is it retroactive, so say I wanted to file for those other years that the Feds took my money, can I do it?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 01:56 PM

35,016 posts, read 41,201,614 times
You will NOT get that money back. It is gone. It went to pay a debt.

What you should do is immediately contact her lender. That should have been done as soon as she lost her job due to bad health. They can defer part of it or possibly work out lowered payments. But that debt is hers for life. It cannot even be dismissed by bankruptcy.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 AM

917 posts, read 1,454,468 times
If you just filed your taxes you can still file an injured spouse form. They are not supposed to take YOUR refund but unless you tell them via the form they will. As far as retroactive I don't know but probably not. A tax person should be able to help you.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM

2,405 posts, read 5,323,390 times
If you file "Married, Jointly" - there is only one tax refund - and it can be garnished to cover federal debts (i.e. student loans). My husband defaulted on his early in his marriage - and as I made significantly more money than him, I counted the tax refund as "mine"... as it was the money I had paid in. Imagine my suprise when year 2 of our marriage - my $2750 disappearead and "we" got a note from the IRS explaining that our refund was being seized to cover his defaulted student loans..

We got past that, all our debts our current - life is pretty good. But I will never forget that when you file "married, jointly" - there is no yours, there is only "ours".

good luck!!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,819 times
if i file injued spouse at say ,H&R block,is it still possible to get an advance on my return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance