Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times

Advertisements

Received a notice from our card issuer that our rate was being raised to such & such above the prime rate....basically was changing to a variable rate. So what does this mean?

Instead of the 5.00 % APR we've been enjoying over the years, we get to pay whatever the "going" rate is. That could be anywhere from 12% - 20+%.

I called 'em immediately; our credit is outstanding, we're perfect with our payments over the years with this company, and we have a relatively low credit limit with the card ($5600, used for plane tickets, Christmas, etc.)

They stated over the phone that they're changing the way they do business, and it's no reflection on us. It's just the way it is.

We were able to "lock in" our current APR as long as we don't use the card and remain current on our agreement. Use the card...APR goes up immediately.

What a farce.

Anyone else with similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:14 AM

901 posts, read 2,987,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Received a notice from our card issuer that our rate was being raised to such & such above the prime rate....basically was changing to a variable rate. So what does this mean?

Instead of the 5.00 % APR we've been enjoying over the years, we get to pay whatever the "going" rate is. That could be anywhere from 12% - 20+%.

I called 'em immediately; our credit is outstanding, we're perfect with our payments over the years with this company, and we have a relatively low credit limit with the card ($5600, used for plane tickets, Christmas, etc.)

They stated over the phone that they're changing the way they do business, and it's no reflection on us. It's just the way it is.

We were able to "lock in" our current APR as long as we don't use the card and remain current on our agreement. Use the card...APR goes up immediately.

What a farce.

Anyone else with similar experiences?
My CC company raised my interest by 7 percent. I was never late wth a a payment and have great credit. They said that it is because of the economy. Since I don't keep a balance, I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:01 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I really don't give it a thought... they can raise it to whatever they want.

I pay in full every month.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I pay in full too. They are all raising their rates ..in 2010 they cannot do that anymore and currently the White House Administration wants to crack down on them now.

So they are racing to raise rates before someone in the government passes some law that says they can't.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:26 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
The credit card companies and banks are going to charge what ever they want to make certain they pay back their loan to the government. Another way the bank and our government are screwing the U.S. tax payer. Don’t expect any help from our government. They don’t care how they get their money, even if it at the expense of the average citizen.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:51 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
I had a mbna credit card, my first ever, and they were bought out by bank of america. I have never been late, defaulted, etc...paid in full, occasionally had a balance but always settled. Unfortunately, at this point, I have a balance, and my rate was 6.24. They doubled the rate. I called and was upset and was bassically told I did not do anything wrong. Its just the cost of doing business. Bank of america re-evaluated their practices and this is what they did. She equated it to the cost of milk going up. The consumer did not do anything, its just the cost to do business. I am still pissed but my hands are tied. Since this is my oldest card, it would ruin my credit history if I cancelled the account. I just have to suck it up, pay it off and then use them for my best interests (my credit history).

Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
samrai, my wife and I did the same thing with our MBNA credit cards 7 years ago.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM

493 posts, read 665,190 times
Who cares if dings your credit a bit, just work towards paying it off and vote with your feet if this annoys you. (Close the account I mean)

Old 04-27-2009, 07:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
If you aren't paying off the balance every month, you are spending too much money, and need to cut back. Don't blame the banks, get your spending under control...!
Let your feet walk anywhere they wish, it's not the banks fault, they didn't over spend...!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 PM

81 posts, read 194,473 times
I was lucky to stumble on a 60 minutes about credit card practices. They did a segment on a concept called universal default - one of the more nefarious practices by some card companies. The basic idea is that if you default on any payment to a creditor, the credit card company reserves the right to jack up your rates over night without telling you. This payment could be a late medical payment, or a missed payment for another card.

a quick google search came up with this

'Universal default' rules explained: Pay one bill late, get punished by many (Page 1 of 2)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance