Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Lots of people making less than $90K have kids that are taken care of just fine.

I think what your boyfriend is saying is that HE is not willing to make a financial sacrifice to have a kid. That's a whole different ball game. Maybe he's just looking for an excuse. Either way, take the hint and don't expect to have kids with him. If he's not willing to sacrifice, he's not going to be someone you want to try to raise a family with.
This is spot on.

My wife and I were making well under $90k when our daughter came along, and given her work on commission and my self-employment, there are big stretches where we're still below that income level (often times we're above it too).

bale002 gave a pretty good assessment of the costs. The first year is going to be the biggest (including the delivery, diapers, lost work time for the mother, etc). It gets cheaper for a while, but then costs will start to creep up as the kids get involved in more activities.

What you will find, though, is that probably a good part of your discretionary spending (i.e., going out to eat, nights out, etc) will have to be cut due to lifestyle changes. This will automatically free up a considerable amount of cash for the child.

Your income is not a problem at all. The issue is totally one of whether you're willing to both make the necessary sacrifices. The sacrifices are hard at times, but it's not as bad as you might think. If you have grandparents nearby to help (with time or financially), it becomes even easier.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Not worth the expense.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,626 times
Dual-Parent Family, Before-tax income: $65,800 and up
Age 0 to 17, total: $249,180

Here's a link

Cost of Raising Kids Table: Family & College - MSN Money (http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/family/kids/tlkidscost.asp - broken link)

Old 01-27-2010, 05:38 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
The most important question to ask yourself when considering bringing a child into the world is:

Am I willing to give up things I WANT in order to provide a child with what it NEEDS? If the answer is YES, the money will redistribute accordingly and you'll be able to afford a child the same way most of us have!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:55 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
basically what I am reading on this link is that a kid should cost between 7 and 15k a year.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
basically what I am reading on this link is that a kid should cost between 7 and 15k a year.
Kind of, but if you go on vacations where you fly, you need to buy more tickets. When you eat out there are more emals to buy. If you like the latest fashion for your little ones, that is more expensive too. Whether you need childcare and the cost of that in your area can inflae that number. It really depends on yor lifestyle and what you give your child. For example, our next vacation will cost us between $4-$5k just for flights (international travel) for our family of 5...ouch!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
I highly doubt anyone would have buyers remorse after having a kid

They're soooooo worth it, and I don't even have any yet!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Kind of, but if you go on vacations where you fly, you need to buy more tickets. When you eat out there are more emals to buy. If you like the latest fashion for your little ones, that is more expensive too. Whether you need childcare and the cost of that in your area can inflae that number. It really depends on yor lifestyle and what you give your child. For example, our next vacation will cost us between $4-$5k just for flights (international travel) for our family of 5...ouch!
Your points are valid, however having kids will require sacrifice above anything.

Instead of a lavish international vacation, why not have a camp-out in the back yard or stay at a resort down the street for a few nights at a discounted price?

Your kids don't need the latest fashions if you're only making $90k/yr. Yes, you can live that lifestyle if you make more, but you need to be realistic. My sis spends $3 on a pair of pants at Wal-Mart when her neighbor spends $50 at the store in the mall--the difference is nothing. They both wear out, they both get muddy, they both get holes and rips and stains.

To summarize, kids are expensive, yes, but WANTING them is more important. My sister and husband make $40k combined, and they are raising 4 kids with no government help. It's tight as hell, but they have the greatest kids and the best marriage of anyone I know.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Instead of a lavish international vacation, why not have a camp-out in the back yard or stay at a resort down the street for a few nights at a discounted price?
She didn't say the vacation was lavish. I am willing to bet that she travels internationally to see family. That is what I do. For my sister's wedding I am looking at about 4-5k just for airfare. But it is still worth it to have kids to me. Getting married and having children are the best things that ever happened to me. I just wish I lived closer to family.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Your points are valid, however having kids will require sacrifice above anything.

Your kids don't need the latest fashions if you're only making $90k/yr. Yes, you can live that lifestyle if you make more, but you need to be realistic. My sis spends $3 on a pair of pants at Wal-Mart when her neighbor spends $50 at the store in the mall--the difference is nothing. They both wear out, they both get muddy, they both get holes and rips and stains.

To summarize, kids are expensive, yes, but WANTING them is more important. My sister and husband make $40k combined, and they are raising 4 kids with no government help. It's tight as hell, but they have the greatest kids and the best marriage of anyone I know.
Maybe that's what they did on other vacations in order to save up the money for the airfare. My husband and I have taken at least one flying vacation every year since we've been together. We're certainly not going to be able to do that when we have a baby. But we'll save up for the big trips and our child will see Europe before Disney that's for sure.

Did anyone find tax breaks to be helpful after having children? Please say yes because I'm hoping for that to ease the strain a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance