Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 AM

360 posts, read 397,655 times

Advertisements

I just got charged $25 for rejected card fee because I got a new card in the mail recently. I have never seen anything like this before. The customer care rep was extremely rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 AM

22,420 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Well, lesson learned! Maybe you'll pay better attention and take care of it in a more timely fashion next time.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:34 PM

360 posts, read 397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Well, lesson learned! Maybe you'll pay better attention and take care of it in a more timely fashion next time.
Thanks for your kind words

Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 PM

4,191 posts, read 6,873,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Fight it. They had to have the expiration date in front of them to bill you. There is no reason for them to charge this fee, since the billing was their own fault. Did they think the expiration date didn't apply to them???
I'm not saying to NOT fight it because they may be nice and waive it if you had no other issues and fixed it in a timely manner, but why does no one want to take responsibility? Is it not your responsibility to keep your payment methods up to date? Just because a biller has your expiration date doesn't mean it's their job to NOT charge you.

The cable company could come back with the same question: Do you think the billing date for your cable company doesn't apply to you???

Cable companies are notoriously bad with customer service, but not EVERYTHING is their fault. In a case like this, it is not their fault and they probably even have this covered in their terms of service. Lots of people complain about stuff that is in a company's terms of service, but most customers do not take the time to read these.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:57 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,871,382 times
Fight It! The Fee is BS....Is it a "Decline" Fee (Which is even more BS) or is it a Late Fee?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM

4,191 posts, read 6,873,262 times
I don't really see how the fee is BS. You owe them money on a set date. They provide you the date up front. You have agreed to pay them a certain amount of money by a certain day every month. By not keeping up with a card, you failed to make the obligation. Be it a declined fee or a late fee, it isn't "BS."

Now, some companies may have great customer service, and if you have a good history with them you can probably call them and get them to drop it and I highly recommend you at least check with them.

However, it is not "BS" or 'some evil cable company scam!' (*especially* if it is in their TOS), so don't take an offensive stance. Take a level stance, admit you made a simple mistake and play up your good payment history and let them know it won't happen again.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
One more time folks NEVER allow payments to be pulled.
Always push payments and always know you have the account set up right.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 PM

22,420 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I don't really see how the fee is BS. You owe them money on a set date. They provide you the date up front. You have agreed to pay them a certain amount of money by a certain day every month. By not keeping up with a card, you failed to make the obligation. Be it a declined fee or a late fee, it isn't "BS."

Now, some companies may have great customer service, and if you have a good history with them you can probably call them and get them to drop it and I highly recommend you at least check with them.

However, it is not "BS" or 'some evil cable company scam!' (*especially* if it is in their TOS), so don't take an offensive stance. Take a level stance, admit you made a simple mistake and play up your good payment history and let them know it won't happen again.
Exactly!

NO one want to own up to the fact that they made the mistake... not the company that is owed the money.
:::sheesh:::

Old 10-23-2013, 12:32 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Like a bad check really.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Well, I am obviously in the minority but I say pay it and take it as a lesson learned.

If the contract you have says in small print that there is a fee for a returned check or an expired credit card it's the responsibility of the cardholder to update their account when they get a new credit card. As stupid as that policy might be, if they have it on their contract and you signed it, you're on the hook for the fee.

Granted, I think it was an innocent oversight on your part and would definitely call them and explain the situation. I would think they'd be nice and reverse the charge but if they don't, pay it move on.
a customer is helping out a company immensely when they sign up for automatic billing. it reduces their bad debt expense assumptions, so it frees up cash for other activities, and it gives them money more quickly than other payment methods, so it enhances their cash flow.

the LEAST they can do in return for those benefits is to notify you that the credit card they have on record is expired.

Time Warner has a history of horrible customer service, for that reason alone, it's worth fighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance