Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:16 AM

948 posts, read 918,526 times

Advertisements

P.S. I wanted an allowance like my friends, so I could choose my own clothes. But my parents refused, and said I was lucky I didn't have to buy clothes. I was planning on doing an allowance for my daughter though, and my sister did it with her daughters when they were teens. I like the allowance system, because I think it teaches kids how to budget their money.

I would still pay for educational expenses, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 AM

800 posts, read 1,294,934 times
think of all the guns and ammo you have to buy raising a girl to scare off the boys...

Old 10-09-2014, 07:53 AM

903 posts, read 581,795 times
Girls - Clothes, Make-ups, Hair Appts, Teas, etc.
Boys - ER Visits, Gas, ER Visits, Milk, ER visits, socks/underwear, Got lucky and hurt himself at Lunch time so was able to make a normal appt.

I have 4 boys and 2 girls. And the above is typical, but one of my girls was as likely to end up at the ER and one of my boys spends a lot on clothes and jeep but it is his own $.

I saw some people mention allowance. We do pay one, based on chores. That way they aren't getting $ for free. They have to pay to go to the movies with friends or birthday presents for friends. If they want extra clothes above what we provide in the fall and spring they have to pay for that. They do learn how to budget and make choices about what is more important to them.

cd :O)

Old 10-09-2014, 08:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,289,519 times
Just the girl toiletries alone will add up to big $$$$.
And I (a girl) played tons of sports, so the cost of my hair driers, mousse, hot oil treatments, shampoos, moisturizers, tampons, haircuts, pads, waxes, perfume, etc, wasn't made up on less sports equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance