U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM

4,719 posts, read 9,080,989 times

Advertisements

I have been waiting to get out of BOA for a while now. Customer service has gone to after switching banks several times. The only thing they have going for them is having a billion branches that you only ever have to go to anymore when they ********* over.

I recently stopped payment on a check that was lost. They mentioned "you might incur a fee - click here to see your schedule of fees" when you are stopping the payment. I clicked there, looked under the type of account that I have, and there is no mention of any stop payment fee. As I have done this in the past and never got charged, I was confident that was the case.

2 days later I get a $30 charge. Talked to them on the phone as well as show up to the branch and they insist that I made fully aware of this charge, and I'm just an idiot. I had printed out the pages from the website to prove that there is no mention of the fee, and they wouldn't even look at it.

I was very reasonable with everyone and really made the point that I just wanted fairness, and letting customer know of this fee at the time that time of action is not only fair but common sense ("By stopping payment, you will be charged $30 - do you wish to continue?")

They were completely willing to help me close out my account instead of even attempting to make things right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,930,882 times
You always get charged a fee for stopping payment.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:20 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,628,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I have been waiting to get out of BOA for a while now. Customer service has gone to after switching banks several times. The only thing they have going for them is having a billion branches that you only ever have to go to anymore when they ********* over.

I recently stopped payment on a check that was lost. They mentioned "you might incur a fee - click here to see your schedule of fees" when you are stopping the payment. I clicked there, looked under the type of account that I have, and there is no mention of any stop payment fee. As I have done this in the past and never got charged, I was confident that was the case.

2 days later I get a $30 charge. Talked to them on the phone as well as show up to the branch and they insist that I made fully aware of this charge, and I'm just an idiot. I had printed out the pages from the website to prove that there is no mention of the fee, and they wouldn't even look at it.

I was very reasonable with everyone and really made the point that I just wanted fairness, and letting customer know of this fee at the time that time of action is not only fair but common sense ("By stopping payment, you will be charged $30 - do you wish to continue?")

They were completely willing to help me close out my account instead of even attempting to make things right
Congrads on doing the right thing. After they gave away my money I threw in the towel with them too. Dontcha just love the fact that they drill you on all kinds of personal information to open an account yet ILLEGAL Aliens just waltz right in and get VISA cards for the asking? No SS number needed. No collateral needed. No motivation to pay back.

BOA can rot in hell along iwth all its employees.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:32 PM

42,331 posts, read 46,124,393 times
All bank charge a stop payment fee that I know of.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM

49,749 posts, read 46,833,795 times
dont be so harsh aw comon give em 32 billion.
i know you got it. that is why you are here typing with me
all day on CDF.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,442,396 times
I won't do business with them anymore. I don't trust them after some unannounced shananigans with my deposits.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:04 PM

4,719 posts, read 9,080,989 times
woof + texdav, as i am doing google research apparently it is common knowledge to charge for this. however, it has been so long since i've had to stop a check, that the last time i did it, it was free.

if, as i have since learned, that the fee is uniform throughout all accounts, a simple 1 line of text on their website on the cancel check form: "note, stopping payment will incur a 30 dollar charge" would have avoided this problem. it is just that easy. either they don't care, or try to be sneaky. perhaps boa is getting too big for its britches. i know that ina huge organization, getting 1 line of text added to the website may be a 19 step process.

i can guarantee you someone at my branch had the power to check 1 box on a computer and make the fee disappear and the fact that they were willing to let me close the account over it is surprising.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM

10,092 posts, read 14,191,743 times
BOA has ended up as my bank after one takeover after another.
For me, the last straw is the ATMs only taking paper checks like a dollar in a soda machine. If the check is a bit bent or anything, you can't make the deposit.
I appreciate that all big companies with local branches are hiring local workers, however, there are plenty of smaller banks that also hire local people and are more of a local financial presence. I am switching to one in my area in the interest of "buying local." Plus, they have great customer service. Oh, and if you want to call the local branch, you can get the phone number. With BOA, you can only call a main number that is who-knows-where, while the local branch is two miles away.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:57 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,350,496 times
Last time I checked, I can do several stop payments online at my credit union without being charged a fee. Charges are incurred if you go to a branch or go over the limit for the month. You might want to check on a credit union as your next bank.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:35 PM

6,841 posts, read 16,772,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
BOA has ended up as my bank after one takeover after another.
For me, the last straw is the ATMs only taking paper checks like a dollar in a soda machine. If the check is a bit bent or anything, you can't make the deposit.
They don't provide envelopes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance