Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

I just got a phone call. It began with a recorded message telling me I have a chance to get health care for me and my family for $3 a day or less. If I was interested, just press "1".

I pressed "1" and a woman came on the line and started immediately asking me questions. "How many people are in your family?" "Do you currently have health care?" "Why don't you have health care?"

I finally said, "What company are you from?" She said, "What company am I from?" I said, "Yes, what organization do you represent? You're trying to sell me a service, I think I have a right to know." She hung up.

This reminds me of the Credit Card Services scam and the Car Warranty scam. It's got to be the same company. Why can't our government shut these folks down? I get these stupid phone calls all the time. I'm so tired in generally of all these vultures swarming around my head looking to pick the last little cent off my rotting corpse.

W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
I get the CC services and Car Warranty calls, too. I stay out of debt and drive a 16-year old car, so you'd think they'd know better than to call me, since all of everyone's business seems to be a matter of public record these days.

So I suppose the Health Care scammers will be calling next.

We've got no real industry in this country anymore, so now we've got all sorts of predators out there selling all sorts of scams.

Last edited by Ellise; 05-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-14-2009, 02:32 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I once asked the Car Warrenty woman which of my cars was she talking about. She didn't know. So I asked how did she know the Warrenty was about out if she didn't even know what kind of car I had. That's when she hung up on me.

It's still surprising how many people fall for this kind of "deal" without asking for details.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I get the CC services and Car Warranty calls, too. I stay out of debt and drive a 16-year old car, so you'd think they'd know better than to call me, since all of everyone's business seems to be a matter of public record these days.
They just make random automated phone calls. They have no idea who they are calling or where. It's random. They are casting a wide net for suckers.

Credit Card Service, Car Warranties, Health Care --- It's all run by the same mob.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:01 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
If you want to keep businesses like this from profiting, the best way to do it is to use up as much of their time as possible.

Act interested, give them a bunch of bogus information, put them on hold a couple times, and then back out at the last minute.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
If you want to keep businesses like this from profiting, the best way to do it is to use up as much of their time as possible.

Act interested, give them a bunch of bogus information, put them on hold a couple times, and then back out at the last minute.
Yeah, but that's a big waste of my time as well. I got work to do too.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Yeah, but that's a big waste of my time as well. I got work to do too.

No kidding. I get too many private calls and "0000000000" numbers popping up on my Tracfone to waste minutes on that. No, I don't keep a land line or it would be worse.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
The car warranty people were sued yesterday. Hopefully, those calls will stop now.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The car warranty people were sued yesterday. Hopefully, those calls will stop now.
FarNorthDallas,

Thanks for letting us know. Here's a link to the story:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347122,00.asp

Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Why can't our government shut these folks down? I get these stupid phone calls all the time.
Did YOU call to report this to the Attorney General's office, or whatever body within your state is responsible for consumer complaints? Have you EVER reported such calls? If not, then how will YOUR government know to "shut these folks down"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance