Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:30 AM

18 posts, read 71,629 times

Advertisements

I have dual citizenship US / UK

I have been living in the UK all my life and my husband is now being relocated to the USA to LA with work. We have decided to move out there and live in the States for a couple of years. All the VISA issues are sorted so no problems there.

I own a UK property and am going to rent it out here in the UK in order to part finance renting a property over there for us to live in.

I am not sure what my tax liability will be?

Do i pay tax on the rental income in the UK as that is where the property is?

Do i pay tax to both (greedy) governments?

Do i just pay tax to the US government?

I have been told of tax treaties that will negate the need to pay tax twice.

I have read up alot on this but can get no conclusive answer. Direction to each of the government's websites (Internal Revenue Service) and (HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page) really does nothing except confuse me as they are all so complex.

many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:54 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
My understanding is that only the US and Belarus tax people on their worldwide income regardless of residency. Nice company that we're in...

I'd consult a tax lawyer, but my gut feeling is that since you're not going to be resident in the UK, you won't have tax liability there. You'll probably have to file some paperwork to prove this, but there shouldn't be tax liability there. You'll definitely have U.S. tax liability on this income.

Can you claim residency in another state besides California? If so, I'd consider filing there to avoid paying high CA taxes on this income.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I have never been a UK citizen.

I did live in the UK for 3 years though, Scotland. And I did own a property with 5 flats. We lived in one and we let the remaining 4 flats.

In our case, the mortgage [which was truly an insurance policy] paid the property taxes for us.

I filed US income taxes showing the property as a rental.

I never filed UK income taxes.

I hope that this helps.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks for that Forest beekeeper -

I think what will happen is that i will pay tax in the UK and offset that amount as a tax credit against any liability in the US.

Do i show the income amount no my tax return as simply "income" or rental income and is there a difference in the taxation rates.

As an example i have worked out that my house rented in the UK would raise an income as foolows

Rent - £2800
less Agent fees (12%) - £336
less Buildings insurance - £80

Taxable income - £2384
less Tax(25%) - £596

UK net income - 1788
less international money transfer fee £20

Dollar income per month at Ex rate of 1.5 gives $2652

So over a 12 month period my dollar income would be approx $31824

Can you tell me what taxation bracket that would fit into ? Or if even there are tax bands for rental as opposed to earned income ?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonmom View Post
Thanks for that Forest beekeeper -

I think what will happen is that i will pay tax in the UK and offset that amount as a tax credit against any liability in the US.
File a Schedule 'E'.

On it you will list all expenses. And separately the rental income. On the schedule 'E' they are subtracted from each other.

Using a schedule 'E' allows you to reduce it by many factors before it becomes a taxable income.

Rent or income is reported. Then Agent fees, insurance, garbage fees, electric bills, repairs, maintenance, postage fees, transfer fees, everything that you had to spend gets listed.

Also remember that in the US you are required to depreciate. The initial cost of the property becomes what is called the "cost-basis". That cost-basis drops in a straight-line manner over the projected life of the property. For rental real estate it's projected life is 27.5 years. So 1/27.5 times the cost-basis is how much it depreciated last year.

The depreciation is a physical loss [wear and tear] on the property and is another of the write-offs, that you must take. It is then listed on the Schedule 'E'.

If you keep the Net amount from rental real estate high then it will bump up your tax bracket. If you keep it low, or negative then it will lower your AGI, and keep your tax bracket low.

The Net amount from your schedule 'E' is then transferred onto the 1040, where it is combined with all of your other income streams. They merge, so they are not taxed independently. If one or more income streams are negative numbers for example they will lower your over-all AGI, and therefore your tax obligation.

There is no way to estimate your overall tax obligation from only your Schedule 'E'.

It's Net [either negative or positive] is merged with your salary incomes, and other investment incomes to form your AGI.

So long as you maintain an active role in managing your rental properties. It is an 'active' income stream and can be reported in this manner. So it does pay to stay active with your investments. If you take a hands-off approach and stay completely out of the process, then it may become a 'passive' income, and you will see higher taxes.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Thanks for that, that's really interesting about the depreciation and I will mention this to the tax advisor I am going to see this week. However, I'm hoping I'm not going to be paying 2 lots of tax as I know I definitely will have to pay UK tax on the income that is earned in the UK. What exactly do you mean by keeping active in the management though and how would you show this on your return?

Old 05-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Can you claim residency in another state besides California? If so, I'd consider filing there to avoid paying high CA taxes on this income.
How would i go about doing this? My parents do own a condo in Florida and I have worked (and I think filed tax for a Summer job) under that address many years ago. Would that help?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonmom
Thanks for that, that's really interesting about the depreciation and I will mention this to the tax advisor I am going to see this week. However, I'm hoping I'm not going to be paying 2 lots of tax as I know I definitely will have to pay UK tax on the income that is earned in the UK.
I understand.

UK taxes are another matter entirely.

California should only be taxing you on your income streams from California.

For example; I have claimed California as my 'home of record' during all of my Naval career. Though during my Naval career I never did live 'in' California.

The only income streams that I had to file with California was rental property that I held in California. I gained 'income' from within California, so that income was taxed by California.

My Federal income was not taxed by California, so long as I stayed out of California.

I have had rental property in Washington and I had to pay Washington State taxes on that income.

I now live in Maine. I have Maine income streams and I have rental income from a property in Connecticut.

I file with Maine concerning my Maine income streams, and I file with Connecticut concerning my Connecticut income streams.

As a US citizen, the US is concerned about your worldwide income. So file US Federal income taxes.

Your rental income from properties outside of California are not California's concern.

Just as my Connecticut rental properties are not the concern of Maine. though all of my income streams are documented on my US Federal Income tax filings.

Quote:
... What exactly do you mean by keeping active in the management though and how would you show this on your return?
If you gave money to a third party. That third party operated a business, and gave you back a portion of the 'profit'. Your role in this 'business' is purely passive, so your 'profits' are completely taxable. You had no active involvement with the business, so you can not subtract business operating costs.

If you maintain an active role in the operation of a business, then you get to subtract the costs of doing business from the income. Which opens up the possibility of your business being a loss. When operated at a loss a business lowers your remaining taxable incomes.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonmom
... how would you show this on your return?
Oops,

You dont.

These are prerequisites that are laid out in the pubs.

The advise that I have given makes the assumption that you maintain an 'active' role in your investments.

Otherwise you would have to file your taxes using different forms and you would pay much more.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonmom View Post
How would i go about doing this? My parents do own a condo in Florida and I have worked (and I think filed tax for a Summer job) under that address many years ago. Would that help?
I do not see how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance