U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 AM

32 posts, read 40,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My mom said that nothing was different for her family during the depression because they were already poor; it just brought everyone else down to their level.
It was different though back then because a lot of people lived somewhat off the land. For example my Grandparents grew almost all of their own food on this huge garden they had. They also kept chickens, hunted deer and even knew what wild plants to eat! They did this while raising 3 kids, a disabled relative, their parents and working full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,193,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My mom said that nothing was different for her family during the depression because they were already poor; it just brought everyone else down to their level.
Sounds like my family!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 PM

4,292 posts, read 6,996,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Just wondering if anyone is close to the end of their rope?

What happens when you run out of money? When the employment checks stop coming? And the credit cards are all denied?

What do we do then?

This is what I would do..I would try to find a job somewhere that offers a place to stay & food to eat and then gradually save every penny I could until I could
come up with a better plan. Nanny, college dorm parent, anywhere that will
feed and house you.

My parents got married young without a penny to their name and they
worked for 2 years in a mental institution with room & board while saving their money.After 2 years they had a house downpayment.

Large stables have a room usually for a caretaker, some people need
a vacation home caretaker. Campground attendant.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,759,168 times
In TN I have met a few people who live in the woods and hunt and trap their food. There are a few tent cities that have sprung up on public lands.

When I travel I have met people at rest stops who have hit bottom and go from rest stop to rest stop to avoid being arrested for vagrancy. A lot of people take their last dollars and buy a travel trailer or old RV to park in a campground.

One convenience store owner I know is often visited by a middle age couple who are caring for a parent well into her eighties out of their car. They ask nothing more than any packaged foods that are out of date and cannot be sold.

Many times on the local news they will feature a story of homeless children trying to attend school while sleeping in a one room motel and many without food.

I am amazed that our national news stations overlook these real life stories of poverty in America.
They only report that unemployment is decreasing. Not because there are more jobs, but because Americans are now exhausting their unemployment benefits and no longer are counted.
American is well on it's way to becoming the newest third world country and as the rich get richer the poor get poorer.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 PM

43,862 posts, read 26,316,351 times
I guess how people look at the future all depends on what side of the fence they are on. The problem is that more people are crossing the fence into poverty daily with no change in site.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 AM

9,956 posts, read 13,550,607 times
During the Depression, my mother lived in a waterfront poor part of the city. (Waterfront was not considered a bonus then- just good proximity for men working on the docks). She said they were considered poor among the poor (an outdoor latrine for the tenement housing). When my grandfather died working on the docks, my grandmother and her three kids were on General Relief, which I think is the original welfare. They were considered poor among the poor people.
A majority of Americans did live in rural areas then, hence, chickens, etc. The others lived in cities and towns- few suburbs. Poor people in cities couldn't grow or raise anything.
World War II and clerical jobs at the Navy yard called my mother to drop out of high school, as she was tired of having only one dress to wear, and went to work at the Navy yard.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM

154 posts, read 192,047 times
I personally am facing this. My husband and I made 58k a year for awhile. Then he got laid off. In our area the economy tanked hard, same as everywhere else. No one was hiring and still aren't. That was in 2008. He refused to take unemployment, somehow that made him less of a man. So he started using the credit cards to make payments and get cash advances, thinking that he soon would be employed at his old salary. I continued to work full time.

I'm sure you know where this is heading. No job for him, so he began looking for anything. He was 47, too old to hire at fast food, they laughed when he asked for an application. He didn't have experience working as a mechanic or small engine tech, even though that man could fix ANYTHING. No experience, no job offer. So he tried starting his own little business of fixing stuff cheap. Worked for awhile til that dried up too, cause no one around us could afford to have anything fixed.

In the meantime credit card debt is getting higher and higher, payments are getting into the ridiculous area. More than our mortgage payment. We are now using them to buy groceries, pay utilities, etc. My income goes to pay the damn credit cards.

Today my husband and I are in the middle of a divorce. We are still sharing the house, him upstairs, me downstairs. We can't sell the house, we owe $40,000 more than it's worth. We tried short sale, giving it back to the bank, no one will work with us because of our lousy credit. So we simply stopped making the mortage payment and are trying to file for bankruptcy. But the bankruptcy/divorce attorney wants $2,000 upfront before we can even file for protection. So the phone rings night and day from collections people. I tried to get a personal loan using my car as collateral since it's paid for. Yeah, RIGHT. Probably a good thing, in retrospect.

We've sold everything we can. We have one car. No cable, no internet. I'm typing this on my PC at work. My money pays the utilities, which we are months behind on, groceries, gas and car insurance. That's it. There isn't one cent left over. I have visited a church food pantry for the first time in my life. I have made rice and beans so many different ways I am about to puke just thinking about it. We are having PB & J tonight for dinner. I realize we are lucky to have that. I had to quit having health insurance and 401k taken out of my paycheck so I would have more take home pay. Keeping silent about all of this to my co-workers is hard but I have a little pride. They now think I'm stuck up since I don't go to lunch with any of them anymore or bring something to office potlucks. I just keep to myself and cry inside.

So now we wait. Wait for the mortgage company to serve us with the eviction. I've done tons of research on small apartments and obviously the majority have to have a decent credit score to get in or you pay a higher deposit. We don't have the money to set aside to even begin to save for a deposit. He is working a temp job at $7.25 an hour, 20 hours a week that ends at the end of August. Woohoo.

Does it ever get better? Advice? This is not a pity party I'm having, this is my reality.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,763,710 times
Get roommates and have them pay cash. Or when you move, find somewhere with roommates. I know in this country people consider roommates to be the lowest of the lowest and practically inconsiderable, but it's not so bad.

Or buy a van and live in it. No rent. Find a cheap gym to shower in. Eat foods that don't require cooking, or cook outside.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:20 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,759,168 times
Last night on the local news here in Tennessee they ran a story about the local schools that were considering shutting down the lunch program due to the poor economy. They decided to continue the program at the insistence of the teachers who testified that most of the children attending school were dependent on that meal and for many more children it was the only meal of the day.

We don't hear a lot about this on the news and never on the world news. The truth is all any American is asking if for a decent job to provide the necessities for themselves and their families. Instead industry and business have moved their facilities to the lowest labor markets they can find and exploited those people.

The rich of American have almost all the wealth of the the country. They have gotten richer at the expense of the working class. By 2020 it is predicted that half of all seniors will be homeless. We are not far from seeing our children begging in the streets. I think that riots are well overdo, but our government as spend billions on that contingency. During Katrina the police and national guard went door to door disarming Americans who were protecting their homes and apologizing to them for violating their constitutional rights. America will do nothing to provide jobs, or feed the children, but America is ready to control crowds who demanding jobs.

I hope that I see a massive march on Washington, not million man marchers or anti-war marchers, but children, hungry homeless children so that the well fed pigs of DC can see first hand what their greed as done.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM

8,184 posts, read 9,155,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptstrays View Post
I personally am facing this. My husband and I made 58k a year for awhile. Then he got laid off. In our area the economy tanked hard, same as everywhere else. No one was hiring and still aren't. That was in 2008. He refused to take unemployment, somehow that made him less of a man. So he started using the credit cards to make payments and get cash advances, thinking that he soon would be employed at his old salary. I continued to work full time.

I'm sure you know where this is heading. No job for him, so he began looking for anything. He was 47, too old to hire at fast food, they laughed when he asked for an application. He didn't have experience working as a mechanic or small engine tech, even though that man could fix ANYTHING. No experience, no job offer. So he tried starting his own little business of fixing stuff cheap. Worked for awhile til that dried up too, cause no one around us could afford to have anything fixed.

In the meantime credit card debt is getting higher and higher, payments are getting into the ridiculous area. More than our mortgage payment. We are now using them to buy groceries, pay utilities, etc. My income goes to pay the damn credit cards.

Today my husband and I are in the middle of a divorce. We are still sharing the house, him upstairs, me downstairs. We can't sell the house, we owe $40,000 more than it's worth. We tried short sale, giving it back to the bank, no one will work with us because of our lousy credit. So we simply stopped making the mortage payment and are trying to file for bankruptcy. But the bankruptcy/divorce attorney wants $2,000 upfront before we can even file for protection. So the phone rings night and day from collections people. I tried to get a personal loan using my car as collateral since it's paid for. Yeah, RIGHT. Probably a good thing, in retrospect.

We've sold everything we can. We have one car. No cable, no internet. I'm typing this on my PC at work. My money pays the utilities, which we are months behind on, groceries, gas and car insurance. That's it. There isn't one cent left over. I have visited a church food pantry for the first time in my life. I have made rice and beans so many different ways I am about to puke just thinking about it. We are having PB & J tonight for dinner. I realize we are lucky to have that. I had to quit having health insurance and 401k taken out of my paycheck so I would have more take home pay. Keeping silent about all of this to my co-workers is hard but I have a little pride. They now think I'm stuck up since I don't go to lunch with any of them anymore or bring something to office potlucks. I just keep to myself and cry inside.

So now we wait. Wait for the mortgage company to serve us with the eviction. I've done tons of research on small apartments and obviously the majority have to have a decent credit score to get in or you pay a higher deposit. We don't have the money to set aside to even begin to save for a deposit. He is working a temp job at $7.25 an hour, 20 hours a week that ends at the end of August. Woohoo.

Does it ever get better? Advice? This is not a pity party I'm having, this is my reality.
It must be awfully crowded in your house.
I need advice on how to get boyfriend to move out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance