Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Just wondering if anyone is close to the end of their rope?

What happens when you run out of money? When the employment checks stop coming? And the credit cards are all denied?

What do we do then?
Turn to family and/or friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Find a sheltered spot under a bridge and learn to enjoy rat kabobs.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Chet,

I had dinner with someone the other night who was telling me that during the great depression, the people who managed the best where the ones who were already poor, because they knew already how to scrimp and save and survive. I think that kind of fits with what you are saying about the attitudes in the unemployment office!

W.
My mom said that nothing was different for her family during the depression because they were already poor; it just brought everyone else down to their level.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
I know these are tough times and I feel for anyone who's truly suffering because of the economy. But I've been laid off and survived by doing disgusting work for disgusting pay.

I went to several real estate offices and offered to clean one of their dirty vacant rental houses for free, with the agreement that, if they liked my work, I'd clean the dirtiest houses they had for $100 per house. One agency agreed and I got the job; I also got to clean the foulest repo houses imaginable. You wouldnt believe how bad some of those houses were. That was in the summer in Houston and the electricity had been turned off in almost all the houses. I had to wear a mask to keep from gagging.

And, at night, I cleaned kennels for a vet. Again, I got my foot in the door by offering to clean the kennels for free once and then working for a really cut rate after that.

About six months later, I got a job in my old line of work and never looked back. But I learned a lot about surviving during that time.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:08 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Start a home business offering massage "services" or sell home-grown weed...oH wait, those things are illegal.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:34 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I went to several real estate offices and offered to clean one of their dirty vacant rental houses for free, with the agreement that, if they liked my work, I'd clean the dirtiest houses they had for $100 per house. One agency agreed and I got the job; I also got to clean the foulest repo houses imaginable. You wouldnt believe how bad some of those houses were. That was in the summer in Houston and the electricity had been turned off in almost all the houses. I had to wear a mask to keep from gagging.

And, at night, I cleaned kennels for a vet. Again, I got my foot in the door by offering to clean the kennels for free once and then working for a really cut rate after that.

About six months later, I got a job in my old line of work and never looked back. But I learned a lot about surviving during that time.
Wow, that is very admirable of you!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
I know these are tough times and I feel for anyone who's truly suffering because of the economy. But I've been laid off and survived by doing disgusting work for disgusting pay.

Learning what really matters is a very important lesson which hurts at the time but in the end pays off well. I had the family fall apart. I did make some bad decisions about money. But I had no real reference point to know that I was at the time. I sometimes wish I could go back and do it over again, knowing what I do now for I would have most certainly NOT done as I did.

I was homeless for six months, slept at the shelter overnight while an application for disability was started. After that ran out the county put me up for five more months because they had to in a house with six other women. Ugh, never want to see another roomate again. But I paid them back when my SSI came through.

I did move to where its a lot cheaper, but I also get less. But I just shake my head when people who make a LOT more than me complain that the money runs out too soon. I have learned ways to make choices in what to spend and what parts of the "gotta haves" are really just "Wanna haves". A home over your head, food and protection from the cold are the things that really matter. Everything else is just gravy.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
No, it's not admirable at all, ladysovereign. I refused to go on any kind of govt assistance. I've worked a lot of hard jobs and long hours for little pay over the years. I just did what I had to do to survive. Now I have a job making more money than anyone should make and I refuse to feel bad about it.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,529 times
Quote:
No, it's not admirable at all, ladysovereign. I refused to go on any kind of govt assistance. I've worked a lot of hard jobs and long hours for little pay over the years. I just did what I had to do to survive. Now I have a job making more money than anyone should make and I refuse to feel bad about it.
I understand. I've been through some tough financial times growing up and on my own. My Family taught me to not expect any Government handouts/assistance and I never did as my parents believed it's better to work and cut back or not have things then look for help. We just did without plenty of times and worked harder by taking two jobs, accepting the really crappy ones, just to get a paycheck, etc.

Can I ask what you do for a living?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM

32 posts, read 74,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
These posts are really interesting, but I noticed what I think are a few misconceptions:

- Working nights at McDonalds, or any low-level service job is not an answer. These places pay near-slave wages. It will never be enough to support yourself, no matter what you try to do without. And it certainly isn't enough to support a family. This is why people hold onto unemployment as long as they can, or stay on welfare if possible, rather than take one of those non-jobs.

- There are many places that have rules against just "pitching a tent". In addition, many campgrounds have limits on how long you can stay in their facilities. There is one down the road from me, and another one in town where the "campers' must move on after 90 days. Besides that, if lot rents for a travel trailer in those places range from 300 - 600 dollars, there are many places in the country where apartments can be rented for that. Where would an unemployed person who has run out of all financial resources get the money for the lot rent in the first place? And still have money to eat on, etc.?

I think the best answer is for people in similar adverse situations to connect and start pooling what resources they do have. I foresee a lot more "communal" living eventually.

And I absolutely do believe that those of us who are working hard are paying for the welfare for those at the top, and for many who are not working at all.
This is very true. One thing about the low-level service jobs you did not mention and how do I say this nicely - If you are not a student or you had a normal job in the past or a college education they won't hire you. I quit my job a few months before Christmas a couple years ago and I thought I could live on savings and get a seasonal minimum wage job until I found something better. I applied everywhere no one would hire me. They figured I really didn't need the job or I would leave as soon as I found something better. I was only 25 so I'm sure it would be harder for an older person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance