Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
You obliviously do not work with clients who are in debt and need a path out. Your comments are condescending to those whom you consider “are not as smart” as you and who may have acquired the debt due to illness, death, lose of job, divorce or other “out of their control” circumstance. Not everyone is stupid, lacks self control or has a recession free job, a wealth family or other support structure. Please focus your comments on areas where you may have some knowledge. Real life debt reduction is clearly not in this category.
The fastest and cheapest (saving money by not paying interest) is to pay the highest interest rate debt first. This is a mathematical fact, and to say so is NOT condescending or demeaning to say so.

The topic of this thread is the question "Is it better to pay off high % or high balance first", and it is best to pay high interest rate debt first, and the math supports that statement.

There are many reasons people are in debt, but the path out is the same, a plan which started with paying highest interest debt off first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It is basic math, not rocket science, the highest interest rates cost you the most, and are eating you alive, so those are the ones to pay off first, regardless of the balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The fastest and cheapest (saving money by not paying interest) is to pay the highest interest rate debt first. This is a mathematical fact, and to say so is NOT condescending or demeaning to say so.

The topic of this thread is the question "Is it better to pay off high % or high balance first", and it is best to pay high interest rate debt first, and the math supports that statement.

There are many reasons people are in debt, but the path out is the same, a plan which started with paying highest interest debt off first.
The math is only simple if you neglect to take the variables into account...
Income level and stability are independent variables
Minimum payment as a percentage of each debt is a variable
Each interest rate is a variable, as is the volatility of that rate
Trends in LIBOR or other benchmarks are variables
Banks' lending practices are a variable
The order in which the debts are paid is a variable
Hidden (seemingly non-tangible) costs for particular debts is a variable
Increased cash flow from paying off small debts first is a variable

To me, it looks like the optimal way to design a payout plan for the OP would be to use statistics to determine which debts would be most likely to turn around and bite them, and then use calculus to determine the areas under the debt versus time curves to create a master curve for each payoff scenario. In reality that won't happen, so the OP just needs to use their best judgement and beware of natives bearing facts.

Consider this scenario:

Let's assume I have an extra $1000 a month to pay off bills, and $3000 on a 0% CC teaser rate that will reset to 24% in three months. I also have a $3000 student loan at 6%.

Following the advice Ashville Native claims as a "fact", I would put that $1000/month toward the student loan to save the 6% interest. In three months, however, I'll get nailed with a 24% rate on the remaining $3000.

Here's the numbers doing it Ashville's way:
Month 1 - $15
Month 2 - $10
Month 3 - $5
Month 4 - $60
Month 5 - $40
Month 6 - $20
Total - $150 in interest paid

If I reject the "fact", and use a little common sense to pay off the teaser rate first, the numbers are a little different:

Month 1 - $15
Month 2 - $15
Month 3 - $15
Month 4 - $15
Month 5 - $10
Month 6 - $5
Total - $75 in interest paid

The fact in this scenario is that Ashville Native's advice would cost me twice as much money in interest payments.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:44 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
The math is only simple if you neglect to take the variables into account...
Income level and stability are independent variables
Minimum payment as a percentage of each debt is a variable
Each interest rate is a variable, as is the volatility of that rate
Trends in LIBOR or other benchmarks are variables
Banks' lending practices are a variable
The order in which the debts are paid is a variable
Hidden (seemingly non-tangible) costs for particular debts is a variable
Increased cash flow from paying off small debts first is a variable
We all assumed that the OP has fixed interest rates. Meaning none of them is a teaser rate. Also OP has extra income that he will be putting towards debt every month. Not just a one time payment. Every month he should pay the minimum towards all cards and the extra to the highest interest rate for that month.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:16 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
We all assumed that the OP has fixed interest rates. Meaning none of them is a teaser rate.
Assuming is a quick way to get into trouble.

Even if you don't have a teaser rate, it's a good idea to consider paying off the variable rates linked to LIBOR, etc. before attacking a fixed rate that might be a little higher.

Interest rates everywhere are at an almost all time low, and they can't stay here forever. When they do adjust back up to normal (or higher than normal) levels, they could do so very quickly. All I'm trying to say here is that one rule can't cover all situations, and you have to use a little common sense to go along with it.

It's good to pay off the higher interest rates first, but you have to balance that against the potential downsides from adjustable rates and the safety of extra cash flow and increased motivation from paying off the lower balances first.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 PM

390 posts, read 1,509,942 times
The OP didnt mention how much he has available to pay down the debts. If its an extra $1000 a month, then I'd pay them in the order he listed. He may be able to knock the first 2 off before the others raise the interest.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:57 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
I would go after number 1. Pay it off. If any of the other cards is a bank credit card - this won't work on Master Card or Sears - use the payment amount you would be paying on #1, as a principle ONLY payment on the bank card. You need to be able to walk into your bank and do this in person.
That card will be paid off quickly. They use the amount from #1 and the bank -> to make payments every 15 days to the next largest balance - because it gnaws on the principle while one large payment does not. You will reduce the time it takes to pay off the balance.

In the meantime it would be good for you to get a handful of debit cards and leave the credit cards alone for a while. .

Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post

Let's assume I have an extra $1000 a month to pay off bills, and $3000 on a 0% CC teaser rate that will reset to 24% in three months. I also have a $3000 student loan at 6%
that is a BS scenario you dreamed up to prove your point. How long did it take you to dream that one up?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt View Post
I have 6 cc with the following balances/intrest rates. Should I pay off the
high balances or the high interest rates first?
I would pay them off in the order you listed them
Quote:
1,756.00 24.00%
2,701.00 27.00%
3,383.00 27.00%
4,615.00 9.90%
7,289.00 6.00%
6,866.00 4.00%
Quote:
(I guess it won't matter much when the interest of the bottom 3 go up to 27% will it?)
If the bottom 3 go to 27%, I would probably still suggest the order you listed them in, but I'd also consider cancelling a few of these cards as they get paid off.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:07 PM

809 posts, read 3,568,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I would pay them off in the order you listed them

If the bottom 3 go to 27%, I would probably still suggest the order you listed them in, but I'd also consider cancelling a few of these cards as they get paid off.
I don't mean to be rude, but it drives me absolutely crazy that someone would give bad advice like this.

First of all, it makes no sense to pay them in any other order than the order of interest rate (highest first). And you offer no reason to go against what makes the most sense financially.

Second of all, canceling the cards will hurt your credit score. Simply don't use them. And the rate on the bottom 3 shouldn't go up unless you stop paying the minimum balance on each card.

To the OP:

Please go to this website, enter your cards' balance/interest/minimum payment and it will tell you the order to pay and when you'll have the cards paid off. Calculators - Debt reduction planner

I don't know what your minimum payment on each card is or how much extra you have to put toward you debt each month.

But let's say the minimum payment on each of the six cards is $50. And you have an extra $100 to put toward your debt each month. That means you'll be putting $400 toward the debt each month. Here's the results for that scenario:

If you pay $400.00 a month, it will take you 7 years and 10 months to pay off your credit cards.
• Based on your current combined balance of $26,610.00, you will pay a total of $10,754.45 in interest.

And it shows you the order to pay and when each card will be paid off (I'd paste it here but the formatting is funky)

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 PM

390 posts, read 1,509,942 times
Hearing 7 years and 10 months depresses me and it isnt even my debt. Let's hope you have more than $400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance