Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

I have discovered that the credit union pays much more interest on a CD than the regular savings account. I also discovered that you could put as little as $250 into a 60 month CD and it would get a rate as high as other area banks that were requiring thousands more than that small amount in order to get the higher interest. Then I discovered that you could have that interest dumped each month into a savings account instead of have it accumulate into the CD. That will give you a small amount of money each month if you should need it.

So here is the plan: Buy one CD a month, two months, three months or a year as you can afford to do so. Have the interest go to your required savings account (That's the account you have to have in order to be a member of the credit union.) Usually if you have to cash in a CD the only cost for doing so is the loss of the interest for the period. So the CD money is really still available to you in case of emergency. Since you will have several CD's you won't have to lose interest on more than you plan to use.

If you need to borrow money from the credit union, you can use these CD's as security and you can have the payments taken out of your paycheck. If you figure on the interest the CD is earning and the interest you are paying, you will probably come out better to borrow rather than cash in the CD. In other words, at the end of the loan payment period, you will still have your CD and the interest it has been paying will probably be more or close to more than you would have if you had cashed in the CD to buy what you wanted and made payments to yourself to bring your savings higher.

I wish someone had pointed these facts to me years ago when I was young, so I am doing that for you. Lucky credit union members.

One caution on this plan. If you borrow money using your CD as security, you will not be able to cash in that CD until the loan is paid. I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.

Happy Banking!

Last edited by NCN; 06-18-2009 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:21 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,085 times
Always heard great things about SECU. They have been around a long time and have served the state employees in NC well from what I understand. Never have been fortunate enough to be a member though.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:25 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I wish someone had pointed these facts to me years ago when I was young, so I am doing that for you.
Not to be a curmudgeon, but what do you mean? Interest rates and terms of the account / investment vehicle are prominently posted in every credit union or bank branch. They're available on institution's website. What more would you reasonably expect in terms of "pointing out these facts" to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance