U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2007, 07:12 PM

18 posts, read 18,396 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm trying to compare cost of living between various regions of the country. I did a little exercise where I compared rents, utilities, gas costs, and other expenses for a single adult commuter (no children) working an entry-level-out-of-college job. I'm assuming a pretty basic lifestyle without too much extravagance, but enough to live decently in a 1-bedroom apt. with no roommates.

With kids, the costs would be higher. I'm assuming no kids.

I looked up rents for 1-br apts on craigslist or commercial sites and looked at reasonably nice apts in safe locations. I plugged them into a spreadsheet and tried to keep rent and electricity to around 25-30% of cost of living.

In some cities, I factored in a couple hundred a month for downtown parking or for riding the commuter train(as noted).

I would like to know what the readers think of my numbers - too high/too low in certain areas for an entry-level professional position (college degree but low on the experience)?

Here are the needed salary numbers that I got for some sample locations:

$30K/year - Charlotte and Wilmington NC, Tulsa OK,
$35K/year - Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Cincinatti, St. Louis
$40K/year - Phoenix, Las Vegas, Miami, Orlando, Chicago, Milwaukee
$45K/year - Philadelphia, D.C. or LA suburbs (pay for parking to work downtown)
$50K/year - LA and the bare minimum to live in New York outer boroughs or San Francisco (parking or commuter train)
$55K/year - San Francisco or New York (parking/commuter train again)

In general, I get a factor of about 3/5 for Charlotte or Atlanta or St. Louis compared to living costs in NYC, Boston and SF. In other words, at a middle range salary, $60K/year in St. Louis would provide an equivalent lifestyle to $100K/year in Boston or 'Frisco.

From the numbers I got, people who are trying to make it on $10 or less an hour are in trouble, and it's especially bad in Florida and California. $30k/year works out to about $15/hour.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 07:59 PM

7,157 posts, read 12,338,586 times
That's really interesting. It sounds a bit low. You're talking about the minimum to get by, right?

Did you figure for taxes, insurance, food, auto payment, clothing, entertainment, etc?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:08 AM

1,849 posts, read 4,736,563 times
Most of it looks pretty good. I feel it's a bit too low for L.A. area San Francisco,and New York city.
I have relatives in the outlying L.A. area. I have an idea it's going to take more than $45,000 unless you are going to live in a slum and eat noodles every night.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:20 AM

5,935 posts, read 14,971,026 times
I think it's slightly on the low side also, but doable. Did you know, there are several websites out there, that will do this for you?

Old 04-15-2007, 11:54 PM

31 posts, read 68,405 times
It's a little low for LA. You can probably do it on $50,000.00 but you would need to know the area pretty well and get really lucky on your apt. Our household is well over $150,000.00 and we're definitely not living large LA is a tough place to make it if you didn't get in before the first couple of rounds of the housing boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance