Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:16 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,154 times

Advertisements

My card was compromised when I bought furniture. The bill came to 700 bucks. The clerk needed NY id and card to complete transaction . two days later the fraudulent charges started rolling in. Seems like getting credit card info is easy pickings these days .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 09:22 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,047 times
Seems safer to shop online with a card they using it at the stores.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:34 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
Seems safer to shop online with a card they using it at the stores.
You may be on to something here.

Relevant

Old 09-03-2015, 04:12 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I just got one of those pre-approved credit offers in the mail. Normally I just chuck them out, but I'm glad I opened this one up.

It had a CHECK inside! Apparently you endorse the check, deposit it, and the $1200 loan goes straight to your account. At a 33% interest rate.

What are these people thinking?! I live in an apartment, and although I'm careful to make sure I change my address when I move, mistakes happen. What if I had just thrown it out and not ripped it into teensy tiny pieces like I did? Someone would have had $1200 bucks, and I'd have almost $1600 worth of debt in my name!

What is wrong with people?

Let this be a lesson to ALL:

First we have a locked mailbox.

Second: I OPEN ALL MAIL.

Third: I SHRED ANY address or personal info pre-printed in there...even if it only says "hello, Mr. "X", I shred that part with my name too. Since we recycle here, anyone at the recycle center
can "adopt" the order forms or other info...

Fourth: you can sign up to OPT-OUT of credit offers.

I ALSO look in the middle of the catalogs for the "pre-addressed" order forms as they can have your name and credit offers or credit card offers on the order form!! ANYONE can fill it out and have it shipped anywhere while you are liable for the credit issued, possibly.

I don't take ANY chances.

Better safe than sorry!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:59 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
It has not been the pain in the arse I thought it would be -- and it won't stop fraud -- but I've gone back to using cash more often. Of course that's not always feasible, but I like to think the less I use credit cards or shop online -- the less 'exposed" I am.

Also, not that people don't steal info out of the trash anymore -- but I think the BIG fraudsters have mored on to hacking.

And of course "medical" ID fraud is growing as well.

I shred MOST things, and tear others....but tear or shred EVERYTHING? No. But the vast majority..90%....yes.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,970 times
I have a Credit Freeze with the three credit rating agencies, this prevents anyone from opening new accounts in my name. While it doesn't protect someone stealing my existing credit credit cards, does prevent someone from say buying a car in my name. Last year when I purchased a new car, I had to use a code and pay a $5 fee to have my account temporarily unlocked so they could do a credit check and this allowed me to open a new line of credit to buy the car. It's free to do and only costs a minor fee to temporarily unlock it, everyone should have a freeze on there credit profiles. This way YOU have Control over your credit.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:46 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I have a Credit Freeze with the three credit rating agencies, this prevents anyone from opening new accounts in my name. While it doesn't protect someone stealing my existing credit credit cards, does prevent someone from say buying a car in my name. Last year when I purchased a new car, I had to use a code and pay a $5 fee to have my account temporarily unlocked so they could do a credit check and this allowed me to open a new line of credit to buy the car. It's free to do and only costs a minor fee to temporarily unlock it, everyone should have a freeze on there credit profiles. This way YOU have Control over your credit.
Nice tip.

Identity thieves tried to open a bunch of credit cards in my sister-in-law's name by opening a PO box, putting a hold on mail to their house, and later redirecting to that PO box. She noticed when she wasn't getting mail for a few days.

They're getting craftier and craftier these days...

Old 09-04-2015, 09:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
I love it when I get a solicitation in the mail that says "You've been preapproved", and it is addressed to "Jtur88 OR Current Resident".

Old 09-06-2015, 12:55 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,919 times
i run everything through my shredder

Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,518 times
Yes we have been hit three times and twice while in Tampa and suspect a few sources do to card use There was $43 purchase at a Publics Supermarket in St.Petersburg and after our card was cancelled an attempt at $125. We believe the FBI has that entire theft cell nailed. They know all the players and for all we know caught up with them? Two checks one for 24k and one for 28k were sent to my account at Wells Fargo Bank ,which they immediately closed my account I had since 2006. I have an attorney and will take them and the sender's. out of California downtown!!! The Wells board of directors will review my case soon at Wells Fargo, but SOMETHING smells here with both Wells and jackwagon(s) who sent two checks on the same day??? You can't deposit that amount without the bank having to do a written security report. The whole thing is a series of poor micromanagement of Wells Fargo. I think they have some of the old dummies from Wachovia lurking around. Too many peacocks in security can spoil the brooth eh? I do appreciate that Wells red flagged these two stupid checks in fairness to security, just don't wipe out customers!!!. It's red flag vs knee jerking reactions.

Last edited by openmike; 09-06-2015 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance