Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Putting it in an investment account would be just like putting it into a bank though, right? IRS would still see it? How do they not see buying gold?
Buy gold from individuals and nobody knows what is going on. More effort needs to be put in bartering and off the book transactions in order to solve the economic crisis that Government has caused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
The more you say the less sense you're making.

How exactly is the bank going to shaft me?

Explain exactly how money in my bank account is being taking by Obama and given to Afganistan or some financial company?

traderx grabs popcorn...this should be good.
The DesertSun seems to have burned out. Darn! I was really looking forward to the answers.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:41 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Good grief! The paranoia out there is astounding. It's $10k people. Traderx- just use some of the common sense that has been offered on this thread and don't let the loonies get to you. Nobody is going to come after you. This is, after all, YOUR MONEY. It just happened to be cash laying around.
Do what feels right and trust yourself. You sound like a perfectly reasonable and sane person.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:49 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
The DesertSun seems to have burned out. Darn! I was really looking forward to the answers.
Dont push it. I hate banks. They have caused me great loss. Only thing I hate more then banks is your govt.

I give up. Take all advice with a grain of lost liberty and pledge allegiance to The Peoples Republic of the United States of __________.

(fill in the blank)

Old 07-19-2009, 04:18 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
In the case of gifts its the donor that typically pays the tax, but as far as I know you're allowed to gift someone up to $13,000 without pay any tax.

You could also call the IRS about it, unless of course you think by doing so they'll come to your home in black trench coat and steal your soul.

Frequently Asked Questions on Gift Taxes

I have a piggy bank that I've been filling for a few years. Its one of those where you have to open it with a can opener. Its just about full, I hope there is $10k in it. But I doubt it.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Dont push it. I hate banks. They have caused me great loss. Only thing I hate more then banks is your govt.

I give up. Take all advice with a grain of lost liberty and pledge allegiance to The Peoples Republic of the United States of __________.

(fill in the blank)
Awe come on, play the game and answer the questions. Afterall you put it out there not me. And please do tell how the banks caused you great loss.

And while you're at it feel free to explain how it's my gov't and not yours too.

I mean geez if your going to make wild and crazy statements the least you can do is give some detail. Who knows, maybe your argument will make sense that way.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Don't you think you guys are being a little paranoid? 10K is a tiny amount of money especially considering putting it in the bank would be a 1 time transaction. Not to boost but I move a lot more than that every month and have for more than 10 years without any black helicopters hovering over my house. This all seems a little whacky if you aks me.
FAQs regarding Reporting Cash Payments of Over $10,000 (Form 8300) (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=148821,00.html - broken link)
Bank Secrecy Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-19-2009, 10:33 PM

earth to oz..keep up with the conversation bud. no one is disputing the reporting of cash transcations but thanks for educating anyone under the age of 15 who didn't already know this.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:33 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,742 times
The entire monetary system in this country is a joke, "private" banks included.

That said, I think a one time deposit of 10k. wouldn't be a problem, depending on the size of your account. To be safe, slowly deposit different amount around 1k. in it every week.

I would just go and buy gold direct. You can also just use as spending money. I know it'd tide me over awhile.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:52 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Regardless of whether or not you wear a tin hat, I don't see a reason to give the government any information that they don't need to know.

When the census comes around, look at how many questions they ask. They're required to count how many people live in the state, but do they honestly need to know how many toilets are in your house?

The old saying that information is power is still true today, and the government doesn't need more power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance