Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,983 times

Advertisements

Do not sell your home!!!!!!!!!!! That would be the absolute worst thing you could ever do. You need a place to live first and foremost and if it's paid for then that's the best thing you have going for you. THEY CANNOT TAKE YOUR HOUSE.

Take the advice already given and find a legal aid clinic. Talk to some lawyer's in the phone book too. My best friend is a lawyer and he works pro-bono all the time when someone is truely without means.

I think you need to try harder quite frankly.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 PM

23,564 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Do not sell your home!!!!!!!!!!! That would be the absolute worst thing you could ever do. You need a place to live first and foremost and if it's paid for then that's the best thing you have going for you. THEY CANNOT TAKE YOUR HOUSE.

Take the advice already given and find a legal aid clinic. Talk to some lawyer's in the phone book too. My best friend is a lawyer and he works pro-bono all the time when someone is truely without means.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:16 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:

Explain to me why the OP should stay put? She claims that there is no source of employment in her area. Owning a house free and clear does zero good if she can't earn any income to support herself or repay her past obligations. She is far better off selling her house, settling her debts and using her excess cash (probably close to $50k based on her info) to relocate to a more prosperous area.

How do you know if they can take her house or not? Are you an attorney in NC? Are you familiar with her case enough to know how (or if) that debt is secured by any assets?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I would seek legal aid. Most cities have a listing in the telephone book. You might also want to look in to rertrainign as that can be paid ofr in some sates in a situation like yours or even thru the courts if you didn't wrok prior to divorce. As far as the house that depends on state law really;but most sate exclude your home.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 AM

153 posts, read 860,687 times
What do I need to try harder with?
Finding work? I have alot of experience in my field which is Secretarial work in Finance and Accounting. Take my word for it that I send out probably 10 resumes a day to big companies, and to everyone on Craigslist who lists a clerical job.
I try my a$$ off to find work. Its bad timing, but I keep trying.
No excuses here at all, I would love to be working.
I figured I should keep the house, as long as they cannot take it.

I am truly without a means, and I have looked into legal aid because earlier this year I was helping a friend fight custody of her children who had been kidnapped 6 years earlier. I went with her to all meetings and consults and discussed my case and they said they would not take it, I guess there are people out there with more urgent needs.

I am doing my very best. My husband left and took away his income of 60,000 a year and I lost my job so that makes it all hard. I do get child support and it is enough to pay for our food and bills, house taxes, but not much more. I do not collect any kind of aid and never would. I don intend to be a burden on anyone.

Quote:

Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 AM

153 posts, read 860,687 times
I did not state that there is no source of employment in my area. I stated that it is hard to find work right now, and that is everywhere. Not just in my area. I am very qualified, but for most jobs I apply for there are at least another 500 applicants for the same position, the odds are kind of against me and 498 others.

The debt is not secured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Explain to me why the OP should stay put? She claims that there is no source of employment in her area. Owning a house free and clear does zero good if she can't earn any income to support herself or repay her past obligations. She is far better off selling her house, settling her debts and using her excess cash (probably close to $50k based on her info) to relocate to a more prosperous area.

How do you know if they can take her house or not? Are you an attorney in NC? Are you familiar with her case enough to know how (or if) that debt is secured by any assets?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Do not sell your home!!!!!!!!!!! That would be the absolute worst thing you could ever do.
I honestly don't mean any disrespect, but that is stupid advice. Really.

Attaching oneself to a home while all other finances are falling apart is a recipe for disaster. Even if they're paid off, houses cost a lot more money than you think. And if she lives in an area with high unemployment or no jobs in her field (NC is at 11% right now - officially - probably closer to 20% if you look at the situation realistically - I know, I'm also in NC), then moving might be a good option.

Attachment to houses, for sentimental reasons or because of some misguided belief that a home is an investment, can bring people down.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:40 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
I did not state that there is no source of employment in my area. I stated that it is hard to find work right now, and that is everywhere. Not just in my area.
You said repeatedly that you are unable to find work in your area...

Quote:
Yeah there is no employment I can find thus far.
Quote:
Finding work? I have alot of experience in my field which is Secretarial work in Finance and Accounting. Take my word for it that I send out probably 10 resumes a day to big companies, and to everyone on Craigslist who lists a clerical job.
I try my a$$ off to find work. Its bad timing, but I keep trying.
If there's no employment in your area and you have the ability and resources to relocate to a more prosperous region, that would seem to be the most logical solution. The entire country is not void of office jobs.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
I did not state that there is no source of employment in my area. I stated that it is hard to find work right now, and that is everywhere. Not just in my area. I am very qualified, but for most jobs I apply for there are at least another 500 applicants for the same position, the odds are kind of against me and 498 others.

The debt is not secured.
I am on your side. For those telling you to get a job, that advice is about as valuble as the rest of the crap they are feeding you. There are no more better employment opportunities in any parts of the country. Those who refuse to admit that dirty filthy curse word "DEPRESSION" are those who have jobs and listen to what their govt tells them. You are right, for every one job advertised there are 2000 applicants for that job. I wish I could help everyone.

Every store in my mall is starving a slow death. Every day people come into my store wanting a job. They dont even know what they are applying for, they will do anything, they are desperate.

I do think differently then others. I want you to screw the bill collectors and keep your house. This can be done but like anything else in life it takes money to succeed. I think you said there is no free legal aid in your area. I find that hard to believe, especially for a woman with kids. There are more options for you then any other group. You must try. Dont email them or call them. Go to the office in person and tell them you need help. Geez worst case scenario you could offer 5% of your home equity to an Attorney in trade for his services to get you out of this mess.

I sure do wish you luck. This economic depression is not going to end anytime soon. Things still continue to get worse by the day. We are all going to need help soon.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Many have said to go the judgement court because being there is better then not being there. Can anyone explain this? If the debtor proves you owe money then you loose whether you are there or not. So why spend the gas money and the day to go?

If there is a good reason then I'm all ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance