Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:45 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
I'll tell you this much, if the companies she owes run into problems they won't think twice about doing whatever they need to to insure the longterm survivability of their firms. She should do the same.
Her current situation and the lack of jobs where she is prompted her to come here and look for advice. I don't think that staying there and relying on child support to make it to the next month is doing what she needs to do to ensure long term survivability.

If she wanted to take steps to move forward in her life and and build a foundation for herself and her child, her best option-- in my opinion-- would be to sell the home, use some of the proceeds to pay off the debt and move to an area with actual employment opportunities. She could use the rest of the proceeds to pay rent until she gets a job.

It sounds to me like the OP is terrified of letting the house go and moving because what if she can't find employment elsewhere? She won't have a house or a job and once the remainder of the house proceeds are gone she'll be living on a park bench.

I can understand those fears and can't say I wouldn't feel the same way but these are the crossroads in our lives where major decisions have to be made that will benefit the family in the long run. You can drive yourself nuts saying "what if."

Old 07-24-2009, 02:51 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Glad to hear you're not walking funny
Me too. Hate walking around like a penguin.

Quote:
Where have I made condescending and humiliating remarks to the OP? I haven't, so "pot calling kettle black" would appear to be an inaccurate statement in that regard.
I wasn't referring to your comments toward the OP. I was referring to your use of condescending remarks in general (in this case, aimed at those who disagree with your opinion on the matter).

Old 07-24-2009, 02:54 PM

23,547 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
<snipped>

My guess is that the bigger firms are very careful to word the scripts of their collectors very carefully as to not violate applicable law. Im sure you arent the first person who has come along trying to use recorded messages against them.

How lucky she is to live one of four states that let people welch on unsecured debt without ever having to pay a penny back.
One of four states? Obviously you are unaware that all states have consumer protection laws. Some states have more protection than others. NC is not really one of the states that has overly superior laws compared to most states.

If collectors weren't so willing to violate peoples rights than the laws created by the FTC and individual states would not be so beefed up. Hopefully the FTC will soon beef up the violation amounts as the current amount is way too low. $10,000 per violation is more fitting.

Either you are a collector who will violate while claiming you aren't, or, you are woefully ignorant of collection agency tactics.

Quote:
Four years to sit around and do nothing.....at the expense of higher rates and fees for the rest of us, thats COMPLETELY reasonable!
Again, thinking only of yourself and not the OP.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
exactly!
That is exactly why she needs to consult a lawyer. In many states they can not take your home. but they can and will get a judgement then file a lein on the home. If and when she dedicdes to sell up pops that lean and most deals fall thru at that point.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:02 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
One of four states? Obviously you are unaware that all states have consumer protection laws. Some states have more protection than others. NC is not really one of the states that has overly superior laws compared to most states.

NC is one of 4 states that disallows garnishment of wages for non-goverment debts. This effectively allows you to simply not pay your unsecured debts, and the only thing they have as recourse is to ding your credit.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Her current situation and the lack of jobs where she is prompted her to come here and look for advice. I don't think that staying there and relying on child support to make it to the next month is doing what she needs to do to ensure long term survivability.

If she wanted to take steps to move forward in her life and and build a foundation for herself and her child, her best option-- in my opinion-- would be to sell the home, use some of the proceeds to pay off the debt and move to an area with actual employment opportunities. She could use the rest of the proceeds to pay rent until she gets a job.

It sounds to me like the OP is terrified of letting the house go and moving because what if she can't find employment elsewhere? She won't have a house or a job and once the remainder of the house proceeds are gone she'll be living on a park bench.

I can understand those fears and can't say I wouldn't feel the same way but these are the crossroads in our lives where major decisions have to be made that will benefit the family in the long run. You can drive yourself nuts saying "what if."
Where are these jobs you speak of?

If you can find jobs that pay enough for people like this lady to raise her family, own a house, etc. then you are going to be rich my friend. Very rich.

Simply put, owning a home free and clear is one of the single greatest financial advantages a person will ever have. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn;t own their home and probably doesn't have much networth either.

Really, this is simple stuff.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Me too. Hate walking around like a penguin.
LOL

Quote:
I wasn't referring to your comments toward the OP. I was referring to your use of condescending remarks in general (in this case, aimed at those who disagree with your opinion on the matter).
Not aimed at all who disagree with my opinion. My opinion is my opinion, their opinions are theirs. What I dislike when someone posts simply to demean a person who is seeking help. Some may throw some things in their posts to make it appear that they are wanting to help, but with some of the comments added in their posts I doubt, imo, that actually helping is their true agenda.
While my comments to those people still stand, I do apologize to others who felt they were targeted.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
NC is one of 4 states that disallows garnishment of wages for non-goverment debts. This effectively allows you to simply not pay your unsecured debts, and the only thing they have as recourse is to ding your credit.
5 states.

You think her credit isn't already dinged?

Last edited by berdee; 07-24-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
I think those in favor of selling the house are simply erroring on the side of "doing the right thing" ,whatever that means, instead of making sound and rational financial decisions.

If she were a business and the choice was keep employees or risk going out business no one would think twice if she did a round of lay offs. If her business had debts and it was either pay the debts or risk not making payroll, again, I doubt there would be much argument.

I'll tell you this much, if the companies she owes run into problems they won't think twice about doing whatever they need to to insure the longterm survivability of their firms. She should do the same.

Exactly. Business is business, regardless if it's being done by her or done by the creditors.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
i apologize for not reading all the posts so this might have already been suggested but i know of someone who Quick Claim Deeded their house to a person they trusted (their significant other), then filed for bankruptcy, then eventually got the house deeded back to them after the bankruptcy from the SO. don't be ashamed to file for bankruptcy. if you can do it just do it and get on with life. quite often there are legitimate reasons for filing so don't be too hard on yourself about it.
Your suggestion is well intended but it won't work. If she did that then she would be in trouble with the courts for hiding assets, and her bankruptcy would fail for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance