Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 AM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you where 20 again... what would you have done different?
I would have been 20, in 1987, 2 years in the U.S.Navy, stationed in Fallon, NV. Taking community college, and driving 450 miles each way to visit my girlfriend (now wife) on weekends.

1. I would have invested more aggressively, instead of conservative Mutual Funds.

2. I would have taken more courses pertaining to management, rather that technology.

3. I would have invested in AT&T. My phone bills were $300+ per month, and these were land lines.

4. I would have networked more, make more friends, and wrote down and maintained the contacts throughout the years.

5. I would have started 401k / retirement plan as soon as I earned salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I would tell myself that music performance was a stupid way to start out. Though it did motivate me later in life to work hard and make sure I was economically sound. Too bad after I realized I was competing for gigs with the professor teaching me to earn like $50.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I can't think of much I would've done differently in the past 6 years.

I would've kept my old Toyota pickup instead of buying a Lincoln.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I never heard of anyone on their deatbed wishing they'd have worked harder or invested differently. I would focus waaaaay more time on seeking ADVENTURE and spend far less time focusing on career and working for financial security. While you can still experience adventure when you are older, the easiset time to do it is in your youth.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-30-2009 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I never heard of anyone on their deatbed wishing they'd have worked harder or invested differently. I would focus waaaaay more time on seeking ADVENTURE and spend far less time focusing on career and working for financial security. While you can still experience adventure when you are older, the easiset time to do it is in your youth.
The answer is based on my situation now. I'm not on my death bed, and I've had plenty of adventure and still do.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Joseph Marnix wrote in response to my post #54:
The answer is based on my situation now. I'm not on my death bed, and I've had plenty of adventure and still do.
Hi Joe...I was responding to the OP's question: If you where 20 again... what would you have done different?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times
I think living on a budget can be an adventure.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:30 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Yep I agree with this. Now, with a caveat. MOST people do not need this advice - they already are too foolish at the age of 20-25. Now that said, people who are reading personal finance forums at places like City Data and are asking the above question at the age of 20 are likely to need this advice. I believe keeping your finances in order is important. But I also don't think you should mortgage your social life or your ability to have fun just because you want to save an extra $100 a month to buy a house when you're 27 instead of 29. Some people are obsessed with spending...but others are obsessed with saving. Neither is healthy IMO although the latter won't really cause too many people to grumble. The thing is for people who become obsessed with saving and not spending money...they will often take a HUGE sum of money to the grave because after a certain point of their life not spending money becomes habit. So even when people have money to buy a BMW they are still driving the 10 year old Toyota because the former is a "waste of money." So what happens is kids or some other family member inherits that large sum of money and wastes it on their own BMW.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,426 times
I would have done a few things differently.

At the onset of the internet I would have gotten down to business and created some decent web properties, rather than watching as a spectator saying "hey this is cool" thinking I could pick my moment to jump in and get started with something on my own. I still can, of course, but it's not like it used to be.

Next, in 2006 I would not have purchased a new house before selling my old one, just because I felt comfortable with 100K in the bank.

And lastly, I would have sold my old house as is, for a lousy price, rather than spend 100K+ fixing it up and still unable to sell it. Yeah, my 100K cushion is gone, I am another 100K in debt, have two mortgages, and my improvements to the place barely kept pace with the decline in value anyway.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltconrad View Post
To all the older members of City-Data: Financially speaking if you where to go back in time is there anything you would or would-not have done (ie: renting instead of buying, investing ect)?
Put my money into Microsoft when they were penny stocks. I'd be fiddling on my own roof at a younger age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance