U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,201,158 times

Advertisements

Can you sue someone (or a business) in small claims court if you do not reside in the state that they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:23 PM

21,578 posts, read 36,422,679 times
It is common to bring suit where the alleged 'wrong' has taken place -- thus if you hired a person to work on your home in MI, but the contractor lived in IN and you in IL the suit would likely be brought in MI.

Makes sense?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM

7,090 posts, read 7,144,079 times
Unless it's a large business it's usually better to sue them in the state they reside. Multi state businesses are not subject to the same rule, if they do a "significant" amount of business in a state they can be sued there (which includes internet businesses).

There was an active example where I knew some one who ordered from an internet business a pretty costly item and never shipped. They used the same argument that they needed to be sued in their home state of the business, but were found to have do more then 30% of their business in our state and the judge allowed the suit to continue.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM

7,376 posts, read 11,783,586 times
I live in California and sued a company in Oregon a couple of years ago. We had to make the trip to Oregon to go to court, so we added the cost of the trip to the lawsuit.
Just our luck, the court date we were assigned was Jan 15, and Portland had the worst snow storm of the decade that day.
The people we were suing were surprised to see us, they didn't think we would come all the was from So Calif, especially in a snow storm. When they saw us, they settled imediately.
Yes, it was a small claims case...

Old 08-04-2009, 05:51 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,904,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is common to bring suit where the alleged 'wrong' has taken place -- thus if you hired a person to work on your home in MI, but the contractor lived in IN and you in IL the suit would likely be brought in MI.

Makes sense?

Like chet said, if the wrong took place in your state then you file the suit in your state .. and then you would serve the registered agent of the business you are suing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I live in California and sued a company in Oregon a couple of years ago. We had to make the trip to Oregon to go to court, so we added the cost of the trip to the lawsuit.
Just our luck, the court date we were assigned was Jan 15, and Portland had the worst snow storm of the decade that day.
The people we were suing were surprised to see us, they didn't think we would come all the was from So Calif, especially in a snow storm. When they saw us, they settled imediately.
Yes, it was a small claims case...

I love it

Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,201,158 times
Thanks!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 33,589 times
I'm in Texas, the guy that owes me $500 is in North Carolina but the property I was going to rent for a vacation is in South Carolina. The internet company that put us together is also in Texas but they aren't at fault. Which state can I file in? I really don't want to drive to the Carolinas for this if I can help it. That would jack up the cost another $500 in hotels and other expenses.

Thanks,
Kathy
Dallas, TX

Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 33,295 times
Sorry to hijack but my question is of the same nature and also may be applicable to the orginal post.

I bought a car from a dealer in Maryland (near Virginia) and live in southern Virginia. I feel that the item was misrepresented and the dealer has not made good on other items listed and promises made via email (and verbal) communication. I am trying to work out the issues and feel that I am being more than fair as well as giving weeks of time to get satisfaction.

Can I file a small claims suit against them in my area? I ask because I live about 200 miles from the northern VA/Maryland area where this dealer is located. I am certain the dealer sells cars in Maryland/Virginia/DC/and other surrounding states.

Last edited by vyper340; 01-21-2010 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM

455 posts, read 255,111 times
I have a similar issue, any advice?
A Chicago based broker company that shipped concrete bowls from California to Texas for me damaged one of the bowls. Their insurance covers damages up to 15 days after delivery, the damage was discovered 5 days after delivery (the delivery was made without the owners being home). Can I sue the company in small claims court, if so where? The company has an office in LA

Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 PM

42,284 posts, read 46,085,939 times
Sounds like they need to file a insurance claim. If you were not going to be home .you should habe specified signature required but if it arrived broken then the insursnce covers it. Notifiy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance