Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:26 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times

Advertisements

<sarcasm> Thank you for teaching people how to be deadbeats and shirk their rightful legal responsibility. Your statement that this applies only to those whose "circumstances have changed through no fault of their own" makes it all better. </sarcasm>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM

768 posts, read 1,088,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You could save yourself a whole lot of effort and stealth by just paying your bills like the rest of us working class dogs.

Please re-read the last three paragraphs of my post.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
<sarcasm> Thank you for teaching people how to be deadbeats and shirk their rightful legal responsibility. Your statement that this applies only to those whose "circumstances have changed through no fault of their own" makes it all better. </sarcasm>

Indeed it does.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
I have no problem with your speech. None at all. But you can bet you will get some real hate mail over it. I know because when I write my speech below I get hate mail. To hell with them and their Mr Honesty crap. I have no problem screwing banks. They screw us so why is that ok? Banks have been raping and pillaging us for years now with all their junk fees. Hell banks dont even loan money anymore. Too risky. Instead they make 81% of their total income from garbage junk fees having no risk at all.

So many people come on here pointing angry fingers at some people who have lost their jobs, got sick and went bankrupt due to our 3rd world health system here.....whatever. Pizz on the lenders.

Listen to this people: You might have had a contract with a lender (though it was one you were unable to read) and you also have a contract with your family, to feed them, shelter them and protect them. When the chips are down then F F F F F F the bank!!! Your family comes first. That bank will survive you causing them loss. Your govt will just bail them out.

For those of you who have jobs with employee sponsered health care, look up and around you because I know you have not. There are people hurting out there. We are in a falling economic depression. That recession crap is 2 years ago. We are in a deep depression and there are 20 million people out of work. Good people, educated people, well dressed people, your neighbors and your family. Stop thinking of yourself and pointing angry fingers at those down on their luck. They are not all bums.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I have no problem with your speech. None at all. But you can bet you will get some real hate mail over it. I know because when I write my speech below I get hate mail. To hell with them and their Mr Honesty crap. I have no problem screwing banks. They screw us so why is that ok? Banks have been raping and pillaging us for years now with all their junk fees. Hell banks dont even loan money anymore. Too risky. Instead they make 81% of their total income from garbage junk fees having no risk at all.

So many people come on here pointing angry fingers at some people who have lost their jobs, got sick and went bankrupt due to our 3rd world health system here.....whatever. Pizz on the lenders.

Listen to this people: You might have had a contract with a lender (though it was one you were unable to read) and you also have a contract with your family, to feed them, shelter them and protect them. When the chips are down then F F F F F F the bank!!! Your family comes first. That bank will survive you causing them loss. Your govt will just bail them out.

For those of you who have jobs with employee sponsered health care, look up and around you because I know you have not. There are people hurting out there. We are in a falling economic depression. That recession crap is 2 years ago. We are in a deep depression and there are 20 million people out of work. Good people, educated people, well dressed people, your neighbors and your family. Stop thinking of yourself and pointing angry fingers at those down on their luck. They are not all bums.

Bravo! You are absolutely right. Have you considered perhaps the hate mail comes from those who are jealous because haven't got the guts to do what I am doing themselves because they have this misplaced sense of loyalty to their oppressors? And yes, it is financial oppression!

And kudos to your point about family coming first! You take care of yourself and your own first because nobody else will. It amazes me how these people want to take the side of big banks instead of their fellow serfs. And it seems much of my point was lost on them. They just write vitriolic knee jerk responses instead of thinking what I wrote through.

Anyway,I'm a big boy and I can take the hate mail so bring it on

Old 09-01-2009, 02:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
No offense, but "skip tracers" exist because of folks like the OP -- rack up a large enough debt and the collections company will basically hire a bounty hunter and serve up a warrant.

Avoiding creditor is your right, but if you do not pay them they will not take a big chunk out of some Wall Street sharpies, they will take nibbles out of all the rest of us in the form of higher rates, tougher lending standards, less consumer friendly terms / fees and ultimately reduced competitiveness of our economy.

We are all in the together...

Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
Consent - Thank you for posting this. I agree with your point, which so many seem to conveniently ignore, that people who have accumulated debt and can pay it off should in fact do so. People can and should use whatever means they have to restructure debt (e.g., through low-interest consolidation loans, loans from family, etc) before declaring bankruptcy or simply defaulting.

In the event of huge medical bills or crooked judgments by divorce courts, I don't see how any of us can judge someone for defaulting on debt, even if, as skaternum says, it is their "rightful legal responsibility."

I carry debt, and I have every intention of paying it off. If I ever found myself in the situation where I had to choose between paying the bank or feeding my family, well, the choice is sort of obvious.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:34 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
Were my closing points in the last three paragraphs lost on you?
Not really, but I make the conscious decision to (as I was a boy scout) "be Prepared". The one constant in life is that it changes, and being as little in debt as possible is the best way to remain flexible and able to meet life's challenges. If you do make the agreement to take on debt you must understand it must be paid back even if your life circumstances change. To me it's being an upstanding and responsible person to take out what you can pay back and then do so.

When people don't pay their debts that money would go to the employees pay to support them and their families (it's not just CEO's at the company). It's not their fault you didn't want to be responsible with debt and are now in trouble, but they will suffer the consequences as money stops. People who do pay their debts suffer as the cost of debt increases, fees increase, and credit is finally withdrawn for everyone.

I have been a lender to people I know, which stopped after the first experience (gratefully it wasn't much). I have also watched other friends and family get burned in the same fashion a number of times. People will borrow to support what their wants are, but when it comes time to be responsible the lender is the last on their priority list even if they need it to make ends meet.

I understand circumstances can change for the worse though no fault of some one, but the amount of people who play "Woe is me" or "It's not my fault" tunes is astounding. No one takes responsibility for their own actions anymore, it is always the banks, the creditors, the advertisers, society....it's rare as platinum to find anyone to even say they have any influence on their own actions. My ears a tone deaf to those who cry it anymore, because 9 times out of 10 it is the borrowers fault for over indulging but they want sympathy.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No offense, but "skip tracers" exist because of folks like the OP -- rack up a large enough debt and the collections company will basically hire a bounty hunter and serve up a warrant.

Avoiding creditor is your right, but if you do not pay them they will not take a big chunk out of some Wall Street sharpies, they will take nibbles out of all the rest of us in the form of higher rates, tougher lending standards, less consumer friendly terms / fees and ultimately reduced competitiveness of our economy.

We are all in the together...
Chet I nearly always agree with you. But no Bounty Hunter will come after you for owing debt. Even if a judgement has been signed against you, you are breaking no laws. Bounty Hunters chase bail hoppers and no bail is ever set in judgement courts because it is NOT against the law to not pay your bills. And if you are real smart you can just reside in peace in some states like Texas where the collectors can not garnish or lien you.

As far as your comment that everyone else pays for the deadbeats, well yea you are indeed right. But we are all already paying the highest credit card rates allowed by law which is 29.99%. If you are not paying that now then just be late one day on your VISA and see where your rate goes and see where your credit limit goes.

You are already being raped for junk fees to cover deadbeats. $100 to close an account, $10 to use a foreign ATM, $39 for a late fee or bounced check, 10% to transfer your own money......the list goes on. I have no love afair with banks. In fact every day when I hear on Financial News when I hear another one going under I stand up and cheer.

I do not use banks. It is far cheaper to go to the post office for a postal money order for $1.10 then it is to maintain a checking acct. Not to mention how unsafe your money is with a bank. Would you like to know how much of my money WAMU and BOA has given away? I hope the next terrorist planes aim for all the main banks. Hell will get real crowded.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Not really, but I make the conscious decision to (as I was a boy scout) "be Prepared". The one constant in life is that it changes, and being as little in debt as possible is the best way to remain flexible and able to meet life's challenges. If you do make the agreement to take on debt you must understand it must be paid back even if your life circumstances change. To me it's being an upstanding and responsible person to take out what you can pay back and then do so.

When people don't pay their debts that money would go to the employees pay to support them and their families (it's not just CEO's at the company). It's not their fault you didn't want to be responsible with debt and are now in trouble, but they will suffer the consequences as money stops. People who do pay their debts suffer as the cost of debt increases, fees increase, and credit is finally withdrawn for everyone.

I have been a lender to people I know, which stopped after the first experience (gratefully it wasn't much). I have also watched other friends and family get burned in the same fashion a number of times. People will borrow to support what their wants are, but when it comes time to be responsible the lender is the last on their priority list even if they need it to make ends meet.

I understand circumstances can change for the worse though no fault of some one, but the amount of people who play "Woe is me" or "It's not my fault" tunes is astounding. No one takes responsibility for their own actions anymore, it is always the banks, the creditors, the advertisers, society....it's rare as platinum to find anyone to even say they have any influence on their own actions. My ears a tone deaf to those who cry it anymore, because 9 times out of 10 it is the borrowers fault for over indulging but they want sympathy.
Your Boy Scout days are honorable but wait a minute. You grouped all those who are in debt. I guess because you have a job working for some schlep at the expense of your own time and pride for nothing other then a gold watch after 25 years of slavery makes you happy. And that's ok. But you are also taking the attitude that you are king and you have a job and F everyone else who dont. I got mine and to hell with you attitude.

Is that fair? You dont know everyones situation. Nearly everyone in deep debt today is by no fault of their own. Some got sick, some lost their long time job.......but you got yours. To hell with everyone else.

Dont treat those in trouble and in need like they are a piece of sheet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance