U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM

11,564 posts, read 16,865,837 times

Advertisements

Over a year ago I wrote a check to a company for a product from their little gift section in the front lobby. ( it is not a gift store just a couple of things they sale that represent the company's business ).
To be exact it was 14 months ago. Well, eventually I forgot about it and figured that I just must have paid cash because I highly doubt they would have lost the check. Thats what I though after 5 months and I figured the 40 bucks back into my account.
Well, so again, Over 3 month ago now, I wrote another check to this same company for the same product. This time the check has yet to clear? ! I thought about calling them but on the other hand i don't see how that is my responsibility. I paid them and they are either loosing the checks or they just don't cash their checks? What is the deal?
My bank have a policy that if the check has not been cashed within a year it is voided.
What would you guys do? Would you call them or wait and see.

Oh and I wrote a similar post a couple of months ago I just can't find it to update my situation. So for those of you that remember this Im still in the same boat! Thanks!

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 09-09-2009 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 05:13 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,304,692 times
I'd say to not worry about it. You kept up your end and paid for the product.

Would you be concerned if they lost a $20 bill instead of a $20 check?
Probably not... but it's the same thing!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 PM

29,421 posts, read 31,612,485 times
I would buy a lot of things from that company. Paying by check of course.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:11 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,433,806 times
I wouldn't worry, you fulfilled your end...it's not your fault if they don't get around to actually cash it, or request it again if they lost it (and don't keep track of their A/R). I would buy as much as you can from them with checks, because they won't be in business long if they can't keep track of their incoming payments.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I wouldn't worry, you fulfilled your end...it's not your fault if they don't get around to actually cash it, or request it again if they lost it (and don't keep track of their A/R). I would buy as much as you can from them with checks, because they won't be in business long if they can't keep track of their incoming payments.

Well, Im still waiting. I wrote the check on June 12th! Now it is Sep.16! I mean, the first time, ok stuff happens, but the second time?
Im wondering if they just filed it with other paperworks and forgot about it? Kind of annoying!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,178,350 times
Consider that it may not have been the store that lost your check. It may have been the bank. We had a call the other day about a situation similar to yours. Lady called us and we looked it up, verified our check deposit for that day, saw that the bank credited us with our full deposit. Apparently her check was lost at some point after the bank deposited it to our account, but before the funds were taken from her account. She got her purchase for free courtesy of the bank.
If this is related to your post about why checks take so long to clear maybe you should consider changing banks? Sounds like there might be some sloppy cash handling practices going on.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Consider that it may not have been the store that lost your check. It may have been the bank. We had a call the other day about a situation similar to yours. Lady called us and we looked it up, verified our check deposit for that day, saw that the bank credited us with our full deposit. Apparently her check was lost at some point after the bank deposited it to our account, but before the funds were taken from her account. She got her purchase for free courtesy of the bank.
If this is related to your post about why checks take so long to clear maybe you should consider changing banks? Sounds like there might be some sloppy cash handling practices going on.

No it is not ny bank. This happend twice with the same company. They are just not cashing their checks. I bank with USAA. YOu can't get a better bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or