U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 AM

794 posts, read 1,384,752 times

Advertisements

I endorse either Schwab or Fidelity. They offer all of the services the OP requires and pay interest on checking balances. Both of them even refund ATM fees. Fidelity does not have a savings account product per se but you can use your checking account money to buy various money market funds that are competitive with most savings accounts, especially BofA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:29 PM

390 posts, read 1,003,916 times
Bank of America offers 30 free trades each month if you maintain $25000 deposit balance in checking, savings or CDs.
Wells Fargo offers 100 free trades a year if you maintain a balance. Sorry, dont know what it is.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,847,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr aztec View Post
BfoA is pretty incredible, you gotta love the my portfolio options and you can do so much with it if you have the time, but i don't--just use to transfer funds, pay bills, but I do have my investment retirement accounts linked up.
BoA and all the other banks are in business for one reason, PROFIT, and lots and lots of it. How do they make the HUGE profits they are reporting, aside from government payouts? By charging customers out the wazoo for anything and everything they can.

Find a Credit Union you can join, as they all offer online banking comparable to the big boys, and you will save a whole lot of money in the process.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,308,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Find a Credit Union you can join, as they all offer online banking comparable to the big boys, and you will save a whole lot of money in the process.
Not all of them are as good for online though. I have a credit union account and it doesn't have the same security level for login. In fact I would suspect it's rare to have security beyond Username and Password on most sites. Fidelity is like that, even though someone might have hundreds of thousands in their account.

The one thing nice I have with BOA is free safety deposit box, which is normally $10-15 a month anywhere else.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 PM

8,079 posts, read 8,280,251 times
With USAA you can do all your check deposits from home. Nobody beats USAA!\
Everything is free. Checks, savings, checking, trading, everything!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:44 AM

269 posts, read 1,071,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
With USAA you can do all your check deposits from home. Nobody beats USAA!\
Everything is free. Checks, savings, checking, trading, everything!
I agree that USAA is one of the better banks. I really like their online services, ability to transfer money to other financial institutions, and the deposit at home feature (it rocks!!!). I was also impressed by how they handled 2 mistakes they made with my accounts in the past. They investigated, aplologised, and corrected the errors in a very professional and satisfactory manner.

Unfortunately, USAA is not available for everyone, since you need to have had some affiliation with the military to become a member.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,744,235 times
I do a combination of brick and mortar and online banking (ING direct). Look for a discount brokerage yourself if you can do all the research for investments. Also, look for promotional deals when signing up, I remember last year around this time ING had a 4.5% 12 month CD. I dumped a lot of money into that right before the market crash so I weathered the storm pretty well. A lot of banks also offer 'free money' for signing up; always read the fine print and if you can stick with the rules you'll end up on top. Best of luck!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 AM

430 posts, read 808,918 times
USAA is the BEST.

However, if you don't have access to them, no connection to military, then B of A is okay. Just be diligent, they can and do make errors sometimes.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:18 AM

2,496 posts, read 5,742,969 times
I have my personal and business checking at Chase, savings account with HSBC, and what's there of my 401(k) from a previous job with Fidelity. All are fine; no issues.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:27 AM

7,753 posts, read 10,049,650 times
I also nominate BofA. The online banking is very good with no problems. You can access via your mobile device as well and get a WAP based version. Fidelity Investments and Smith Barney are also both very good for stock and 401K investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance