Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

I've used a CPA since about 1980. I have a simpler financial life now (only one job and no rental property) but I just don't care to learn enough to do my own. He often finds some small thing here or there that saves me money or trouble.
Hey, I pay someone to mow my lawn and someone else to fix my car. The CPA costs about $150 to save me annoyance. Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
I can't stand doing taxes, but I don't think its particularly hard at least for your average person with a W-2, etc.

I think understanding the tax code is extremely important, one of the easiest ways to save money is by giving less to uncle sam. Your average CPA just files your taxes at the end of the year and there is little discussion of a tax strategy (as this discussion would take awhile).

Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
I don't have any problems completing them. It is not fun but it's not too bad! Try taxactononline. The first time you do it will be more time consuming; however they save your information from year to year so after that it gets easier. I can finish them in less than an hour.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:37 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Completing tax forms is one thing. But if it is done after the year has been completed, then you have no opportunity to change things.

CPAs are great, but going to one after the year is done can not help you to gain control of your tax liability.

Tax software rarely will help you to lessen and control your taxes either.

I would be concerned that by going once a year to a CPA, that you will likely continue to pay taxes.

Paying income taxes would drive my nuts. I dont mind filing the forms, but I have no desire to actually pay money into that mess.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Paying income taxes would drive my nuts. I dont mind filing the forms, but I have no desire to actually pay money into that mess.
Good thing the rest of America is able to pay for our roads, military, police, fire, education, ATC system, etc.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
+1 for Turbo tax, i think its fun actually! I have been using TT since 1999 and have always gotten decent refunds. I enjoy putting in my info and watching the refund or owe meter go up and down. I call it a meter but just basically the amount changes as you fill in info.

As many resources as there are out there now I can't imagine it being a headache to folks who pay their taxes and aren't trying to get over!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 AM

I actually liked the downloadable versions better than the online software. It was faster and you could bring up each form and edit them if needed. This was for H&R Block's taxcut software, I'm sure turbotax is similar.

The funny thing with taxes is 99% of the time when you give your stuff to the accountant they are just plugging in numbers that you give them. You'll spend WAY more time getting all your stuff together than actually entering it in. And accountants are only as good as 1 person, where as software that has been written and tested has the backing of a very large companies research department behind it, and software that automatically updates.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Good thing the rest of America is able to pay for our roads, military, police, fire, education, ATC system, etc.
Actually since the recent introduction of individual income taxes in the US, the Federal Revenue used for Federal spending is only 30% derived from individual taxation.

The idea that Federal spending comes from individual taxes dollar for dollar is incorrect.

During my grandparents time [back when only the uber-wealthy were taxed] the percentage was even lower.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Actually since the recent introduction of individual income taxes in the US, the Federal Revenue used for Federal spending is only 30% derived from individual taxation.

The idea that Federal spending comes from individual taxes dollar for dollar is incorrect.
So 1/3 of their revenue comes from tax payers yet it's incorrect? How so? 1/3 is a large percentage.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:45 AM

100 years ago none of Federal spending came from the common citizen.

The idea that 'we' share some common burden is a fairly new concept born out of the Great Depression.

A dollar of Federal spending today, is not a dollar of individual income taxes collected. It is a common myth though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance