Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:03 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemakerneedshelp View Post
Sad sad, laywer say's sound juicy and he would like to help us, he need's $1,000 to get started and gave us papers for us to take to the court our selfs for a restraining order.
That's fantastic that the lawyer is going to help. If you cannot afford him you might contact Legal Aid or go to naca.net and find one that may be more affordable.

Quote:
Great, um. He said this guy can hurt us and to spam his e mails. friday 4;22 and how can i get to the court house after i figure out how to fill them out.
If you don't know where the court house is you can look in the phone book and call to ask directions. Getting a restraining order is fairly easy, you may have to show up in front of the judge and answer a few basic questions .. such as "do you feel like this person may try to harm you", "are you afraid of this person", etc.

Quote:
Here is my main question, now that i have some one to talk to about this. I have to get the papers about all the work to him, i should send them ? don't send them? scan and e mail them? oh man he is going to have just one more thing to say that we did not do. along with not giving him my asset statement and or another car or cash!
Who is "him"? The lawyer or the guy who is harassing you?

What papers about all what work? The emails the guy has been sending or.. ??

If you are saying you have to send some kind of papers to the guy who is harassing you, is that something the lawyer told you to do? (I would wonder why he would be having you send that guy anything at all)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 06:08 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemakerneedshelp View Post
Sad sad, laywer say's sound juicy and he would like to help us, he need's $1,000 to get started and gave us papers for us to take to the court our selfs for a restraining order. Great, um. He said this guy can hurt us and to spam his e mails. friday 4;22 and how can i get to the court house after i figure out how to fill them out. Here is my main question, now that i have some one to talk to about this. I have to get the papers about all the work to him, i should send them ? don't send them? scan and e mail them? oh man he is going to have just one more thing to say that we did not do. along with not giving him my asset statement and or another car or cash!

Do not have any more contact with this man. If you feel comfortable with the lawyer, then send one more email to the man and tell him to contact you only through your attorney. This should help in showing him that you are serious and will not be intimidated by him. If you don't think the attorney is doing what's best in your interest, then call another.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 17,280 times
ok sorry i was typing and talking to my oldest daughter at the same time, so i did type it wrong in my last post. ok so here first have not heard from the guy tonight worries me....... ok the laywer said This guy can not hurt us can not. to add his e mails to my spam and not even read his emails. The lawyer will help us but it will cost us 1000 just to start. he did give us the papers to file a restraining order on the guy. to late in the day on a friday to file these papers. Also If i file these papers, and don't have money for the lawyer then not sure what to do after that. Also the papers that i was talking about to give the guy, receipts for all the work i have done to my van, that is the car that i gave that guy. I took photo's of them and put the real ones in and envelope to send him and sent him the photos in an e mail. I did not say one work to him and have not sent an email to him sences the 22ed. oh, i filled out the change of owner ship on line at the dmv. made sure that now that he has it that I'm not resonsible for anything on the car.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:29 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I would go to the local District Attorney. What he is doing is illegal and it sounds as though he is unbalanced as well. Let us know how it all turns out for you. Best of luck.
Unbalanced? I have to disagree. He sounds like a very shrewd con artist that knows who to target, and how to get them to fall for the scam. Granted, the OP is now seeking advice, but she has already handed over a vehicle(!) to the scammer. My hunch tells me this guy is going to be long gone, with the vehicle, before any attorney or law enforcement tracks him down. Sorry.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:14 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Let me see if I have this right...

* guy claims that he has a service contract, signed by your husband
* guy claims that your husband owes him nearly $30,000
* your husband says he never signed a contract
* you apparently don't believe your husband and don't demand copy of contract
* guy comes to you both for his money
* you sign over a vehicle that you claim is worth approximately $20,000
* guy wants rest of his money and proof that said vehicle is worth $20k
* you're seeking help

Does that about sum it up? If so, there simply has to be more to this story.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
GO TO THE POLICE - IMMEDIATELY. You need a lawyer far less than you need protection from this creep.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:53 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Let me see if I have this right...

* guy claims that he has a service contract, signed by your husband
* guy claims that your husband owes him nearly $30,000
* your husband says he never signed a contract
* you apparently don't believe your husband and don't demand copy of contract
* guy comes to you both for his money
* you sign over a vehicle that you claim is worth approximately $20,000
* guy wants rest of his money and proof that said vehicle is worth $20k
* you're seeking help

Does that about sum it up? If so, there simply has to be more to this story.
Not to mention that the $30,000 was only for helping to sell some cars and the OP didn't balk about forking over $20,000 in assets for selling cars.

It seems some serious errors were made and this guy already got wayyyyyyyy more than he was due. Just because there was a contract (Or not?) doesn't mean you are forced into giving him whatever he hid in it. You acknowledged the debts exists by giving him a $20,000 asset for a $30,000 debt.

Glad you have a lawyer helping you but as a previous poster said this guy is probably long gone with his free $20,000 vehicle.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 17,280 times
have not heard from the guy. not sure what is up, but not one e mail from him.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Ever get a signed copy of that contract showing all of the money that you supposedly owe?

I suspect that the people in this thread who say that the guy scammed you and is long gone with your vehicle were right.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Ever get a signed copy of that contract showing all of the money that you supposedly owe?
The OP had posted saying in one of the earlier emails the guy sent that the guy said there was no contract. Then in a later email the guy claims that there is one but won't give them a copy of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance