U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 PM

3,932 posts, read 6,182,511 times
Default credit card compromised

For the second time this year I received a call from my credit card issuer's fraud dept....somebody got my card number and tried to use it for an online purchase.

I really like buying stuff online, but I only make 2-4 purchases a month...so I don't think I have a lot of exposure. I wonder why lightning has struck twice in the same year?

Will online buying ever be safe? Are these "secure" websites only secure until some high school kid hacks it?

I'd hate to quit buying online...I get some products way cheaper than on the street. Maybe it doesn't matter anyway...they caught it. So what if I'm on on my third account number this year (so far)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM

2,662 posts, read 4,173,472 times
this is common, happened to me last year...fastest growing crime in the US, doesn't surprise me at all. Good thing the laws limit liability to only $50.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,709,458 times
As long as you deal with trusted encrypted secure websites, and, you have strong firewalls, anti virus and anti spyware on your computer, buying online is much safer than using the credit card at a local store/restaurant.

If you had gotten hit three times, have you checked to see if they were from the same place?

If you want a little more peace of mind when shopping online why not get a Citi card that offers you the option to use a virtual account number while shopping online.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,928,718 times
I agree with Berdee.

Truthfully, I'd be surprised if your credit card information was compromised via an online purchase. This was a concern in the the late 1990s in the advent of online shopping, but now the security/encryption systems are pretty much foolproof and widely available to even the smallest of merchants.

Don't discount the human element in having your credit card information compromised. Everybody worries about the security of their personal information online, but nobody ever blinks an eye about giving their credit card to a waiter/waitress at a restaurant/bar who then goes and swipes it on the machine located in another room. Who know who is handling that card and what they are doing with it? How about those people who have had their identities stolen by friends/family members?

My point is: there are much easier ways to obtain credit card information than hacking and intercepting personal information online. Sure, it can be done but why go through all of the trouble when you can bribe a waiter/waitress or steal a wallet/purse?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:25 PM

759 posts, read 850,345 times
I agree, are you sure it was online? My hubby's was compromised in March. We had only used it once in the past 6 months. To pay for an upgrade on a prepaid car rental at a certain budget minded rental company. [I wasn't around or would have questioned the legitimacy of the upgrade for a previously purchased item. Also, when he was in Nashville in Oct they gave him the upgrade free and it wasn't a pre-purchased rental.] At the car rental kiosk. No brainer for the CC company. Nabbed the guy, we got all of the car rental reimbursed - upgrade and the rental that was prepaid. CC co thought it was suspicious that we used it for 3 less than $1 purchases in a 5 hour period so called. Glad they did.

Recently here in the metro at an IHOP a waiter walked off with over $7,000 in tips in a 2 week period by adding zero's to the tip. We always carry & use a gel pen when signing anything. And make extra effert to make sure the number is squished inbetween the $ sign and the. and that any cents are written like 19/100's.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:57 PM

458 posts, read 921,944 times
Gas station card skimmers are big here in Vegas. I think overall that online shopping is more secure than actual people handling your cards.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 PM

3,932 posts, read 6,182,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
I agree, are you sure it was online? My hubby's was compromised in March. We had only used it once in the past 6 months. To pay for an upgrade on a prepaid car rental at a certain budget minded rental company. [I wasn't around or would have questioned the legitimacy of the upgrade for a previously purchased item. Also, when he was in Nashville in Oct they gave him the upgrade free and it wasn't a pre-purchased rental.] At the car rental kiosk. No brainer for the CC company. Nabbed the guy, we got all of the car rental reimbursed - upgrade and the rental that was prepaid. CC co thought it was suspicious that we used it for 3 less than $1 purchases in a 5 hour period so called. Glad they did.

Recently here in the metro at an IHOP a waiter walked off with over $7,000 in tips in a 2 week period by adding zero's to the tip. We always carry & use a gel pen when signing anything. And make extra effert to make sure the number is squished inbetween the $ sign and the. and that any cents are written like 19/100's.

No, I'm not at all sure my card number was lifted online. I very seldom hand the card to anyone, as in the restaurant/car rental examples.....but I do make lots of pay-at-the-pump fuel purchases.

It's interesting that when your number was lifted it was 3 less than $1 charges that raised your CC company's suspicions. Mine said it was a $1.88 charge that raised their suspicions. I wonder why...maybe because I never charge such small amounts?

Why would someone go to all the trouble of stealing card numbers and then make such small purchases. Are they just testing the number to see if it works....before they really go "shopping"?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,709,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
but I do make lots of pay-at-the-pump fuel purchases.
Credit and debit card skimming at gas pumps and at ATM's are a couple of the most common ways people are hit with ID theft.

Quote:
Are they just testing the number to see if it works....before they really go "shopping"?
Yes. That's why it's always good to get in the habit of checking your card transactions for tiny amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance