U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:25 PM

6 posts, read 61,152 times
Question Vanilla-Visa Gift Card keeps being declined... why?

In June I bought a Vanilla-Visa pre-paid Gift Card for $100. I registered the card as soon as I bought it. I was able to use the card once to make a purchase for $25.50. This was in July. Since then, it's been declined every time I've tried to use it, both online and in person. The Vanilla-Visa site says the card is still valid and has a balance of $74.50, but it's still being rejected every time I try to use it. What should I do next?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 PM

41,249 posts, read 43,989,368 times
I had a gift card once that was taken once then denied. It only had a little on it so I really gorgot about it for several months.It always happen on a pruchase that i had to add cash to. I then went to a store and tried it and it took the card. Found out later that the stores before where doing something wrong but I forget what.It was a visa too.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 PM

6 posts, read 61,152 times
Texdav, thanks for replying. That's possible, but I've tried to use this card in so many places (both online and in stores) that I think the problem is the card itself.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM

160 posts, read 496,617 times
Are you trying to use it for a purchase over the value of the card? If so, the store needs to type in exactly how much will be going to card and then hit cc (or whatever button). This issue used to happen ALL the time with the Simon Mall gift cards. I thought most places had the issue fixed. Call the number of the back of the card and let them know whats going on and ask them their advice.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM

809 posts, read 2,141,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfountaingrl View Post
Are you trying to use it for a purchase over the value of the card? If so, the store needs to type in exactly how much will be going to card and then hit cc (or whatever button). This issue used to happen ALL the time with the Simon Mall gift cards. I thought most places had the issue fixed. Call the number of the back of the card and let them know whats going on and ask them their advice.
I had that problem with a Simon Mall gift card also. The cashier needed to know the exact balance that was left because my purchase was for more than that amount and it's not "smart" enough to know to just charge the amount left on the card.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM

3,753 posts, read 4,842,681 times
You're not going to be able to get an answer out of us, as there are literally thousands of reasons a card can be declined. Call the number on the back of the card and ask someone who actually services the card. Only they can tell you the actual reason of denial.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,496,824 times
It's possible that the cashier is checking off the wrong thing before she or you swipes the card. Maybe it has to be swiped as a gift card or debit rather and they are putting in that it's a credit card?

I had an American Express gift card a few years ago that was declined and I was pretty puzzled why that would happen. After I called and heard that the balance was indeed on there, I went back and tried again. Declined. Then a manager came over, tried a couple of things and it worked. She told the cashier that it wasn't an American Express card but a gift card so I guess there is an option for gift card or something in the register.

Maybe it's something similar going on with your card?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM

11,011 posts, read 9,207,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevion View Post
In June I bought a Vanilla-Visa pre-paid Gift Card for $100. I registered the card as soon as I bought it. I was able to use the card once to make a purchase for $25.50. This was in July. Since then, it's been declined every time I've tried to use it, both online and in person. The Vanilla-Visa site says the card is still valid and has a balance of $74.50, but it's still being rejected every time I try to use it. What should I do next?

Thanks.
Does the website give you detailed transactions?

If you have $74.00 on the card, try making a purchase under $35.00. Some processors will run a $70.00 authorization on a $35.00 charge. They will return the extra $35.00 when they batch out for the day. They double the cost on the authorization end, to be sure the funds will be available when they run their charges later in the day.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 AM

20,802 posts, read 30,680,900 times
Not all retailers take Visa gift cards either. They charge more to the retailer than a regular credit card. I would also say that if you are making a charge for more then the value, it will be declined. That happens frequently with Visa gift cards, which is why I don't like them.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 AM

350 posts, read 593,757 times
This has happened to me many times. Make sure when you use your card the next time that you try to get a total that is close to what you have left. The cashier needs to enter the total first and then scan the card. As long as the amount you are trying to charge it for is less than the amount on the card, you should be fine. I would try to get a total close to the amount you have left as you can. I ended up with 4 or 5 gift cards with less than $5.00 on them and they ended up getting wasted because I never had a total that was that low. Make sense? In the future it is easier if you you the whole amount of the card at once. Hope that helps you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance