Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 PM

163 posts, read 420,249 times

Advertisements

most of my credit cards have increased my interest rates to the neighborhood of 18.99%. My credit score? 771.

I probably will not use my credit card....just let the banks waste their money on sending me statements and handling my zero balance account....and wait for the 0% promotions again before I use any of them again.

then again, if any of you need credit cards....local credit unions seem to have the best rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasusBelli View Post
most of my credit cards have increased my interest rates to the neighborhood of 18.99%. My credit score? 771.

I probably will not use my credit card....just let the banks waste their money on sending me statements and handling my zero balance account....and wait for the 0% promotions again before I use any of them again.

then again, if any of you need credit cards....local credit unions seem to have the best rates.
My Credit Union has a card with a 7.9% fixed rate. I never carry a balance on my card though.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I, for one, have had it. They can go to hell. I'm closing all of my accounts and paying cash.
I say do it. In the long run, this is probably best for individuals and society as a whole anyway.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
I can't believe anyone is still defending credit card companies!!! Maybe you work for them. I, for one, have had it. They've become glorified loan sharks charging 20 and 30% to people with perfect credit. They can go to hell. I'm closing all of my accounts and paying cash.
Honestly, I would close out my CC if I could. You can't buy an airline ticket, reserve a hotel room, or rent a car without one. THat's the ONLY thing stopping me. I don't even buy things online.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
I can't believe anyone is still defending credit card companies!!!
Me neither, it's unreal. Surely they work in the biz.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Yes, but if a customer rarely uses the card, the merchant fees are not going to be enough to cover the costs. Maintaining a card costs the credit card companies money (don't ask me how much, but there are obviously expenses like pulling credit records and insuring cards against fraudulent use that firms must bear).

At the end of the day, though, it's business and economics. Cards will charge whatever the market will bear. If some company is able to run its affairs in such a way as to generate enough money purely from the merchant fees, then they'll win on competitiveness.
So you are saying they have been doing out of the goodness of their hearts all of these years.

Yeah....Sure....

Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You young whippersnappers are too young to remember, but all Visa/Mastercards used to charge annual fees. And we gladly paid them for the convenience.

I know in our household we'll close most of our accounts, and just keep two -- one for business and one for personal. And the winners will be the lowest annual fee.

But more importantly I think the whole FICO score hostage drama has to stop, too.
I was never glad to because even back then there were banks that offered cards without the annual fee.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Honestly, I would close out my CC if I could. You can't buy an airline ticket, reserve a hotel room, or rent a car without one. THat's the ONLY thing stopping me. I don't even buy things online.
Actually you can use a debit card for ANY transaction that you can use a credit card for, including airline tickets, hotels, and rental cars. The only possible reason I can see when that is not the case, is if there is not enough money in the checking account to cover the amount they sometimes put on hold for car rentals and hotel charges. But, even then, you can use the credit card to make the reservation and then just use cash or debit when you check out/return the car. I, for one, am not giving the credit card companies one more dime... EVER.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I've used my credit card to make a reservation but I tell them that I want to pay by check.
Haven't had any problems doing that.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:45 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
What about a rental car or airfare? Have you tried that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance