Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times

Advertisements

We made several offers before we finally bought a house. For one, cash was a significant bargaining chip, but for another, it was essentially meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 AM

278 posts, read 1,520,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Thanks for all of the responses!

I should have told more of the story: We owned a house in 2002, sold it in 2004, and moved from CT to FL. We rented in FL for a year, then bought a small house down there. We planned to stay, but DH's company closed, the house prices fell, he got another position back in Connecticut, and long story short, we ended up doing a short sale on the house. It was a terrible, stressful time. Now we are at the point where we are caught up on all of the bills, and we never want to have to worry about losing our home again. We are in our early 30s, and have two children. If in three years we're not prepared to buy another small house in cash, then we'll try to get a 15 year loan and pay it off as quickly as possible.

Thank you for all of the viewpoints on this!
With the your update in mind. I would pay cash for the house. Chances are the short sale damaged your credit.

I personally, would rather have a house paid in full with no mortgage. Sure the interest rates are low, but you will have a 15 or 30 year mortgage. With this economy there is not telling what could happen to you or your jobs.

Also, I may be a little biased on this topic because I am looking to buy a house next year.....cash deal.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
I sold my last house on Ebay...for cash. Yes I took a "discount" , but it was a fast clean deal. No agents fees , etc. The title company handled the whole deal for a few hundred bucks.
had I waited to get the top dollar ( this was 2 years ago ) , with the declining market values , I would have realized even less....This was not a substandard property ether. 500,000 value inland lake home.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:01 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
chet everett wrote; BOTH the quick close and lack of inspection DO MERIT SIGNIFICANT PRICE CONCESSION from the seller WHILE ALL CASH BY ITSELF DOES NOT!

I agree with that, up to a point. To a seller that has had offers fall through because at the last minute the loan underwriter got a cramp it is significant. I have bought more than a few (probably about a dozen to 15) that would NOT have passed a LENDER'S inspection, generally because of a roof.

When a buyer with a carppy house, who has already heard from the RE agent that he's going to have to put some money (that he likely doesn't have) into a house to even make it marketable, here's ALL CASH, he is often very motivated.

I realize that I'm not the typical buyer, I've owned about 100+/- houses and have seller financed (for down payments as low as $1500) about 40 deals. I've gotten a few of those back, but have always increased my profit on the turnaround.

Again, YMMV.

golfgod

Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbatiste View Post
...Chances are the short sale damaged your credit......
Oh yeah. Short sale of property and you are going to take a big hit.

I don't have a mortgage on my home though I didn't buy it with cash. I did however pay it off in less than 10 years. I would not have it any other way as not having to write a mortgage payment each month is simply a huge freedom. When I did this you would not believe the advice that I got that it was a bad idea to pay off this place. Stuff like, "Oh take the money and invest it in the stock market instead". When the market was collapsing earlier this year I had not one worry about it as I had a paid for house.

People who tell you to keep a big mortgage fall into one of two camps:
  1. They are trying to sell you some credit or they are making money off your decision to take on debt.
  2. They have never experienced debt free living. Misery loves company and telling others to make the same mistakes is comforting.
So I say if you want to save up for a house then it's a good plan.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Home mortages are not so common in other Countries.... What IS common for a large part of the world , is saving up , to buy a home. Faimly is another source. Low interest loan , 10 year max and the like are common. All this without mortages and all the extra costs. If you can help out your kids , or your Sister , its a good thing., for everybody.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:51 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,641 times
I would much rather be investing a house payment in good mutual funds than having to ship it to a bank each month to cover a house payment. If someone has to borrow to get into a house, that's fine, but I would pay it off as soon as possible, regardless of the interest rate. Any real estate beyond the primary residence, should be purchased with cash.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Not sure if the data supports what you'd think it might...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Home mortages are not so common in other Countries.... What IS common for a large part of the world , is saving up , to buy a home. Faimly is another source. Low interest loan , 10 year max and the like are common. All this without mortages and all the extra costs. If you can help out your kids , or your Sister , its a good thing., for everybody.
Dismal.com - Deconstructing Homeownership

My reading of the stats form places with VERY different levels of home ownership (like Spain & Switzerland) is that in areas where land is cheap yet that is the ONLY asset people are likely to have then homeownership is overly important. In someplace like Switzerland, where land is VERY expensive but savings rate is also high, the uses of capital are more broad. Even if you were very well paid in Switzerland it might STILL makes sense to rent as landlords have lots of options...

Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Check out the thread on Las Vegas houses. 50 grand would go a long way out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance