Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times

Advertisements

I've about had it with BoA and would like to switch to a credit union.
If anyone has any info they can share on the 3 I'm thinking of and which you would pick to join I would be most thankful:

McGraw Hill through work
Alliant through PTA affliation
Navy Federal can qualify through family member

Looking for a decent sized CU that offers the usual, checking, savings, auto loans etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 AM

105 posts, read 147,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
If anyone has any info they can share on the 3 I'm thinking of and which you would pick to join I would be most thankful:

McGraw Hill through work

Looking for a decent sized CU that offers the usual, checking, savings, auto loans etc
I have both BofA and a CU. The reason I picked BofA when I was bank shopping is, no matter where you go in the US, there is a BofA. No way to beat the convenience of that.
I have never had a problem with the bank. I rarely use the CU. I have money auto deposited in the CU, but when the amount gets large, I transfer it to the bank, and from there to ing direct. I go to the cu at most, once or twice a year. The bank is just far more convenient. Their online banking is much better than the other banks...
I know, I didn't answer your question.... Just yapping...

Old 11-11-2009, 11:29 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

McGraw Hill through work

If you can live with doing most of your banking at ATMs I'd look at a credit union. Look for one that is affliated with CU24 or Co-op/Shared Branching. That will give you the option to use thousands of ATMs to make deposits and withdrawls.

I'd go with Navy Federal out of the choices you mentioned.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
If you can live with doing most of your banking at ATMs I'd look at a credit union. Look for one that is affliated with CU24 or Co-op/Shared Branching. That will give you the option to use thousands of ATMs to make deposits and withdrawls.

I'd go with Navy Federal out of the choices you mentioned.
Thanks for the info

I haven't been inside a BoA in a few years most of my banking is done online or through Atm

Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
The only one I am familiar with is Navy Federal and they are a great full service credit union. Bank with them and you won't have any reason to stay with BofA.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
The only one I am familiar with is Navy Federal and they are a great full service credit union. Bank with them and you won't have any reason to stay with BofA.

Yes that is the one.....Daughter is a civilian employee on a DOD base so she qualifies and I will qualify through her. We will start the process this weekend and then I'll change my employment direct deposit to NFCU

Thanks for your answer

Old 11-12-2009, 06:36 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginagirl View Post
The reason I picked BofA when I was bank shopping is, no matter where you go in the US, there is a BofA.
Well, then I hope you never go to Colorado.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:06 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
I hear Navy Federal is an outstanding credit union to join. I also agree with the suggestion to join a co-op credit union, so you can access your account no matter where you are. Check out www.cuswirl.com

I work at a co-op credit union, and when I go visit my family in Utah, Oklahoma, and Oregon, I can always find another co-op credit union nearby. It's so nice!

Branch-for-branch, the credit union co-op has more branches than B of A. Can't beat that!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Well, then I hope you never go to Colorado.
Perhaps you aren't paying attention..! My research shows Colorado is loaded with BofA. Most are ATM, but that's all I need. Wirh automatic deposit, and online banking, who ever goes into a "Brick and Stone" bank...?
Find Bank of America locations in Colorado State - Select a city - Yellow Pages - Switchboard.com (http://www.switchboard.com/find/local/businesses/bank-of-america/colorado/ - broken link)

Old 11-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I hear Navy Federal is an outstanding credit union to join. I also agree with the suggestion to join a co-op credit union, so you can access your account no matter where you are. Check out www.cuswirl.com

I work at a co-op credit union, and when I go visit my family in Utah, Oklahoma, and Oregon, I can always find another co-op credit union nearby. It's so nice!

Branch-for-branch, the credit union co-op has more branches than B of A. Can't beat that!

Great link..thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance