Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM

943 posts, read 2,280,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Last I knew, yea. But, I lost ties with most of my hippy cohort a while back. The Yahshuas are a cult of sorts, but I don't think there's a grand pu bah leader.
Glad to hear they have no grand pubah leader.
Quote:
Just the same, nothing in my experience was frightening. I initially met them on tour. There were a lot of commune reps and cults that would go to shows to recruit (zendricks, krishnas, etc). I enjoyed their company, tho, we didn't agree on much. They were kind
Glad to hear that, their being kind is important.
Quote:
. If it was cold, we were always welcomed on their bus for tea. If anyone was hurt, they're bus was full of supplies, etc. The men were naturalists and quite hot! Ahhh, I remember one guy, David, who I swooned over. But, I was a heathen, so that wasn't happening lol.
LOL, I remember swooning over a Christian man when I wasnt yet a believer when I was young. They sound like very nice people.
Quote:

heh, they might be right for you. They live the bible through and through. What they say on their site is on par with what I experienced, but I did not live with them, so my exeriences are based on passing moments and the friends that left.
If I was in better health, id seriously think about it but do not want to become a burden on anyone now. But a younger healthier me may definitely have sought after the intentional community lifestyle. I found a home in England that sounded perfect had disabled women coming together but there is nothing like that In America.
Quote:
They have strict gender roles. They adhere to modesty and old-school living. If you do have money, it will be absorbed by the community, but folk are welcomed empty handed as well.
Glad to hear they go along with old-school living and modesty They are kind to welcome the emptyhanded.

Quote:
My ex was into the shakers. He was cabinet maker, and shaker design was his style. There are some museums up here where shakers used to live IIRC.
Yep I am familiar with that style, I like the simplicity. Its been very popular for a time.
Quote:

Well, there's always some level of cr*p involved where humans are involved. Some spaces are better than others. Can't you get involved with anything local in your area?
Yes you are right no group is perfect. There really is nothing here in my area. All the churches are very liberal and unconnected. There is no laid back [what some would call "hippies"] community here {I was friends with many activists, organic farmers, types in old town} I wish I could find something local here, but I do not fit in. This town is very wealthy affluent town next to very bad ghetto-it is notorious in the state--Im scared to even go down there. So there arent any decent groups here. I tried many churches, and it was all corporate cold people coming together like at a concert or churches that teach things I dont agree with. Very liberal. I have done searches for home churches, etc, and come up totally empty. My usual thing of joining groups to meet people here has failed. [art class, Weight watchers, etc]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Rogers Park is not what I'd consider anything close to ghetto.
West Rogers Park is nice enough. The Orthodox Jewish section, I tried to move into there but couldnt afford the rent.

Try the East, go to Howard Street station. Try Morse street. I dont know what you consider a ghetto if you do not consider that ghetto.

It's not as bad as parts of the South side but its close, but where I lived there, the cabs refused to even come, the water was bad, the neighborhood was full of drug dealers, and I heard gun shots at night. I saw a robbery with sawed off shot gun, my then boyfriend got mugged, I had a large rock by a teenager I didnt know thrown through my window, there was an apt used for drug dealing down the hall from me the cops busted. I got followed and almost raped but managed to get away. The place is gang-infested to the hilt.

Anyone who doesnt believe me check this website out.

The 'Broken Heart' of Rogers Park

Quote:
Edgewater Blog Records Rogers Park Crime

This is what went down on the scanner for Rogers Park last night between 8 PM and 8:30 PM.
8:11pm: Howard & Marshfield - Battery in progress. 10 males assualting each other. Its not believed that any weapons are present.

8:18pm: 7300 N Wolcott - Assualt in progress. Group of black males chasing another black male, yelling at him.

8:20pm: 7359 N Sheridan - Burglary. 2 men jumped caller's son as he entered the building.

8:29pm: * Damen & Rogers - Assault in progress. Group of black males beat up another male. Suspects walking eastbound.

*not a seperate incident, related to Wolcott call above.
Information courtesy Edgewater Crime Blotter.

Posted by Craig Gernhardt at 9:30 AM

Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 AM

890 posts, read 2,785,348 times
I came from a 3rd world country, and lived there in my first 13 years before immigrating here in the U.S.

I've had experienced hunger to eat only once in a day, and eating soupy rice, with marsh spinach and shrimp paste. But that was only a few times, and it was enough that I even considered eating a piece of my shirt. It was that bad.

But for at most, I was content eating steamed rice, with boiled mung beans, and the occasional dried salted fish.

When my family immigrated here, I had 1 pair of jeans and 3 t-shirts and 6 underwear. I had 2 pairs of socks and an old leather shoe. I quickly out grew these, and I got hand-me-downs bell bottom jeans from the 70s, and this was 1982!

When I attended school here in the U.S. California, I was ridiculed for my clothes. Worse, I had bad teeth, bad hair, bad accent. Yet, I know how to speak (with accent) and write English and for the first time in my life, I was a straight "A" student to my parent's surprise. Back in the Philippines, I was a struggling student in the 80% grade (that's comparable to a C student).

From 9th to 12th grade, I was an "A" student and even had perfect attendance. The free lunches in school was like luxury that I never had. I ate every single piece of that microwave burrito, and even brought home the milk carton.

My dad did not get a job until around the 9th month we were here. My mom also worked at Sears, taking the bus. When we finally moved out of my uncle's house to our own apartment, it was over a year since we arrived.

I worked for a fast food restaurant while in 12th grade. And I signed up for the U. S. Navy 6 months before I was to graduate high school. I suppose I had everything to gain from my perspective, and I see a lot of opportunities to improve my life and I can pursue them with nothing to stop me except myself.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Although I grew up in hard times when my mom was supporting two kids, we had maybe a package of bologna in the fridge if we were lucky and mom brought home day old bread from her bakery job, and it was so cold in our house that there was ice on the inside of our windows in the winter, I did not see real poverty until I went to the Philippines. People in this country have no idea of the squalor and poverty that is out there. The only thing that comes close in this country is maybe the poor of Appalachia.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Although I grew up in hard times when my mom was supporting two kids, we had maybe a package of bologna in the fridge if we were lucky and mom brought home day old bread from her bakery job, and it was so cold in our house that there was ice on the inside of our windows in the winter, I did not see real poverty until I went to the Philippines. People in this country have no idea of the squalor and poverty that is out there. The only thing that comes close in this country is maybe the poor of Appalachia.
The tropical climate of does make a difference. Sure there are harsh winters here in the U.S. and I've experience -20 F and that is really hard living condition.

However, the warm, hot and humid of a tropical country is a place where mosquitoes can not be controlled. I remember that we slept in mosquito nets. Or lived in our 1 bedroom house with screen doors, and mom would spray these insect sprays at night. Looking back, those insecticides had DDT on them!

It's also society / community. I remember seeing open sewers, canals with stagnant water where the mosquitoes breed. An ok city in Los Angeles (Carson) is tons more cleaner than the slum city in the Philippines.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:19 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
I came from a 3rd world country, and lived there in my first 13 years before immigrating here in the U.S.

I've had experienced hunger to eat only once in a day, and eating soupy rice, with marsh spinach and shrimp paste. But that was only a few times, and it was enough that I even considered eating a piece of my shirt. It was that bad.

But for at most, I was content eating steamed rice, with boiled mung beans, and the occasional dried salted fish.

When my family immigrated here, I had 1 pair of jeans and 3 t-shirts and 6 underwear. I had 2 pairs of socks and an old leather shoe. I quickly out grew these, and I got hand-me-downs bell bottom jeans from the 70s, and this was 1982!

When I attended school here in the U.S. California, I was ridiculed for my clothes. Worse, I had bad teeth, bad hair, bad accent. Yet, I know how to speak (with accent) and write English and for the first time in my life, I was a straight "A" student to my parent's surprise. Back in the Philippines, I was a struggling student in the 80% grade (that's comparable to a C student).

From 9th to 12th grade, I was an "A" student and even had perfect attendance. The free lunches in school was like luxury that I never had. I ate every single piece of that microwave burrito, and even brought home the milk carton.

My dad did not get a job until around the 9th month we were here. My mom also worked at Sears, taking the bus. When we finally moved out of my uncle's house to our own apartment, it was over a year since we arrived.

I worked for a fast food restaurant while in 12th grade. And I signed up for the U. S. Navy 6 months before I was to graduate high school. I suppose I had everything to gain from my perspective, and I see a lot of opportunities to improve my life and I can pursue them with nothing to stop me except myself.
^^^^

The poorest person in America is still richer then 75% of the rest of the World.

I remember growing up w/ no refigerator. I would eat ketchup sandwhiches and my tennis shoes were duct taped. I can still remember ppl staring at me, thinking I'm sure > "Poor lil Child".... Not once though did anyone offer to help the situation

Its very easy to throw a pity party. I reccomend you find someone who has even less then you and help them in some way. You gotta get out of yourself

Good Luck and may Christ be with you

Old 11-16-2009, 02:33 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Well I believe the unemployument rate is far higher then what they are saying. The official numbers stop counting those who go back the 6 months. I believe we are at or near 30%. Maybe not in all areas. But some places have hit 20% 'officially'...
This is true on a number of fronts. Check out this very powerful and informative graphic that was in the NY Times last week:
The Jobless Rate for People Like You - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

The overall employment rate masks very sharp differences among various groups. For white male college graduates over age 45, the current unemployment rate is 4.1% (i.e. less than half of the national rate); the rate for black male high schools dropouts ages 15-24 is a staggering 48.5% (i.e. almost 5 times the national rate).

The overall numbers also don't reveal state level variation. Some states have been especially hit hard: Michigan, Rhode Island, and California (just to name three). At the other end of the spectrum, the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Utah have fared pretty well. See: Unemployment Rates for States

Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post

Yes that sounds very bad.

Even in the ghetto, one could find food, and had running water and heat. I pointed that out earlier in this thread. Some of my best friends growing up were Vietnamese and they would tell me what life was like, it probably got very tough for you.

Sorry you struggled so. I am glad you are doing better now. I am sure free lunch at school had to be a luxury!.

The poster who wrote the poorest person in America is doing better then a lot of the world, right now that is true, I worry about the future since I believe America is descending into a third world status. Our country is still such, that if one is starving and hungry you can get food, even if you have to go down to Salvation Army or a church to get it.

I ate ketchup sandwiches and had no refigerator for a time in the ghetto too. LOL that brings back memories. Ketchup paks too and ones of jelly from on convience store.

I do believe that even if poor we should try and help others with less. Many of the poor will come together to help who they can, because they know what it is to suffer and go through these things.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
This is true on a number of fronts. Check out this very powerful and informative graphic that was in the NY Times last week:
The Jobless Rate for People Like You - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

The overall employment rate masks very sharp differences among various groups. For white male college graduates over age 45, the current unemployment rate is 4.1% (i.e. less than half of the national rate); the rate for black male high schools dropouts ages 15-24 is a staggering 48.5% (i.e. almost 5 times the national rate).

The overall numbers also don't reveal state level variation. Some states have been especially hit hard: Michigan, Rhode Island, and California (just to name three). At the other end of the spectrum, the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Utah have fared pretty well. See: Unemployment Rates for States
Interesting chart, I have a hard time believing the unemployment rate for college grads over 45% is only 4%, but then maybe they are UNDEREMPLOYED and thats why as you go down the scale those folks are UNEMPLOYED.

That rate of 48.5% is staggering!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:15 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
I suppose it depends on how you define the word "poor". My family was poor but rich in other ways. I remember waking up and seeing my breath, then thinking "Great... cold today", 'cause we couldn't afford to heat the house. Not having much, if anything in the cupboards, and sharing bath water in a tin tub infront of the coal fire. Thankfully we had a Mum who believed in hard work, and we were lucky that we had Government housing and the National Health Service. Without those two I'd hate to think were we would've ended up. I've just turned 40, so the 70's weren't that far behind.

I see folks today sporting Fubu, Nike, Sean John, Reebok, gold dripping from their ears and fingers who claim to be poor... somtimes I think (some) folks are just lazy and call on the system too much for their own failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance