Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:44 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What evidence do you have that those 11 million have other options? Low-rent units occupied by higher-income renters are by definition NOT available to lowest-income renters.
The "other options" of these 11 million people are not limited to other housing options. The solution is to acquire marketable skills and increase income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Well, you aren't the tiniest bit interested in proactively solving your own problems. Perhaps hooking up with someone who can afford to support you is your best solution.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:03 PM

850 posts, read 901,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The "other options" of these 11 million people are not limited to other housing options. The solution is to acquire marketable skills and increase income.
My cousin is a school teacher in Miami, Florida. He makes $45k a year and half his take home pay goes to rent a $1200 1 bedroom apartment 2 miles from the school he works at. He doesn't own a car, he he drives a scooter to work.

He said that was the cheapest apartment he could find that was close to the school and since he is not from the area he couldn't find any roommates to split the rent with. He tried to get a teaching position in his hometown but the district wasn't hiring any English teachers in his home county.

The Miami-Dade school district hired him because he was bilingual. Increasing your income can be hard if you are in a profession that doesn't pay well to begin with and its not like he is a loser flipping burgers at McDonald's. He has a professional job that requires a degree and he knows how to speak Spanish so it's not like his skill set is low. He just live in an exspensive area. I heard Miami residents spend half of their net income on rent because the rental market is so tight and prices go up every year. The median household income in Miami is $46,000 a year despite high cost of living that is almost as exspensive as New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.

I make $50k a year and my rent is only $620 a month because I live in a low cost of living state and town. I was lucky to find a decent paying job in an area where half of your income doesn't go to a landlord.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
My cousin is a school teacher in Miami, Florida. He makes $45k a year and half his take home pay goes to rent a $1200 1 bedroom apartment 2 miles from the school he works at. He doesn't own a car, he he drives a scooter to work.

He said that was the cheapest apartment he could find that was close to the school and since he is not from the area he couldn't find any roommates to split the rent with. He tried to get a teaching position in his hometown but the district wasn't hiring any English teachers in his home county.

The Miami-Dade school district hired him because he was bilingual. Increasing your income can be hard if you are in a profession that doesn't pay well to begin with and its not like he is a loser flipping burgers at McDonald's. He has a professional job that requires a degree and he knows how to speak Spanish so it's not like his skill set is low. He just live in an exspensive area. I heard Miami residents spend half of their net income on rent because the rental market is so tight and prices go up every year. The median household income in Miami is $46,000 a year despite high cost of living that is almost as exspensive as New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.

I make $50k a year and my rent is only $620 a month because I live in a low cost of living state and town. I was lucky to find a decent paying job in an area where half of your income doesn't go to a landlord.
Your cousin is not paying 50% + of his income for rent, so I'm not sure why he is an example of the 11 million people who do?

He sounds smart to me, keeping his other expenses as low as he can. Does he plan to keep looking for a roommate to share a 2 bedroom, or is he resigned to paying for the 1 bedroom himself?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:51 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post

Wonder was there any studios available in that area? I had to downsize to a studio from a one bedroom because the rents were getting to high. The studio works for me since it's big enough for me to have a sofa, queen size bed, two closets and a kitchen.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:

I think we'd need to know more about the demographics of these 11 million people. Like how many are elderly, children, or disabled people who cannot easily increase their incomes.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Well, you aren't the tiniest bit interested in proactively solving your own problems. Perhaps hooking up with someone who can afford to support you is your best solution.

I know exactly what I want to do. If I had 400 sq ft of quiet living space I would have everything I need to work 10 hours a day and make lots of money. How can that be so difficult?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Your cousin is not paying 50% + of his income for rent, so I'm not sure why he is an example of the 11 million people who do?

He sounds smart to me, keeping his other expenses as low as he can. Does he plan to keep looking for a roommate to share a 2 bedroom, or is he resigned to paying for the 1 bedroom himself?
Technically, it's 1/3 of his gross but after taxes, 401k, and health insurance his rent is almost half his take home pay. Luckily Florida has no state income taxes.

He is still looking for a roommate as he is making more friends. One of his friends is still in college and he is trying to convince him to share an apartment with him.

Luckily, he has no debt of any kind. No student loans, no car loan, no credit card debt so he manages to save every month but wants to reduce his rent cost so he can save more.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Wonder was there any studios available in that area? I had to downsize to a studio from a one bedroom because the rents were getting to high. The studio works for me since it's big enough for me to have a sofa, queen size bed, two closets and a kitchen.
I suggested he downsize to a studio since it's just him but all the complexes in his area only have 1-3 bedroom units. He said studio apartments are generally in the Downtown area and they go up into the $1500-1800 range for studios there. He lives 12 miles from Downtown.

He also wants to stay close to work since he only has a scooter he wants his commute to be short. He is working on finding a roommate so he can save more for a down payment on a house and pay cash for a car. He doesn't regret moving there one bit because his hometown Quincy, Florida has a pretty bad economy and there is nothing but low paying jobs in his hometown. I was born in Tallahassee, Florida one county over and my parents moved to Atlanta for their jobs when I was in grade school. Now that I graduated college I moved to West Virginia for my current job.

We both had to move for our jobs but it was necessary to get our careers started. It's becoming a trend that many college grads move to get their first professional job. You have to be flexible in the current job market.

Last edited by Poor Chemist; 07-28-2016 at 07:42 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I know exactly what I want to do. If I had 400 sq ft of quiet living space I would have everything I need to work 10 hours a day and make lots of money. How can that be so difficult?
Travel trailer? You may be much happier in your own travel trailer than you are in your rented room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance