U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM

91 posts, read 228,766 times
Default Need Loan Advice

Okay, my credit has taken a hit this year.

I have about 28 acres that I own in another state, that I don't want to sell because of family reasons. I own the land free and clear.

I went into a bank yesterday with the deed for one lot that is worth about 8k, thinking I would be able to use it as collateral on a small personal loan. They told me they could only use tangible items as collateral.

Is there a way I could use the deed to get a small (2-3k) loan, with bad credit?

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 32,619,683 times
Banks do not want raw land, but maybe someone else might. That said it is not profitable for even a neighboring farmer or something to mess with a private mortgage on something that is so inexpensive. I would but aside the idea of using the land in this way.

How bad is your credit and how badly do you need to borrow $2000? How quick do you need this? I know that the Credit Unions near me have pretty liberal policies toward small loans -- if you have a motorcycle, boat or other easy to sell asset they will make a "title loan" at a fraction of the cost of the "big advertising" type lenders. They will also help rebuild your credit with a "savings secured" loan. If you are not already a member of such an organization it might be wise to check out local options. With several months of solid payment history on a secured loan they will probably allow you a "unsecured personal line of credit" for $2000 or so as long as you have any solid income at all.
Personal Loans (http://usaonecu.com/en/products/loans/personal-loans.html - broken link)

Good Luck!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM

3,752 posts, read 4,664,360 times
I don't think ANYONE is lending to people with bad credit these days....you might be out of luck. Credit unions are easier to get loans at, but they're still not lending to high-risk borrowers.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 32,619,683 times
With a "savings secured" loan they are basically just giving you your own money -- zero risk to them as if you miss a payment they take it from the money in your savings. It is "training wheels" for the debt challenged. You pay the thing back over the term agreed to and they generally let you take out a loan for a much large amount unsecured. A bit of a gimmick, but from what I understand it "rehabilitates" most borrowers in under a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance